Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

Just now, Brit Pack said:

2016 and 2017 Revis had little motivation to play. Under Pettine with a bit of cash as a 32 year old that motivation could be refound. 

This logic doesn't hold up though.  Revis is never playing for another contract.  He will be 33 by the time the preseason starts this year.  Even if he signs a one year deal, no matter how well he plays this coming season, no team would sign a 34 year old corner to big money.  Saying money would motivate him is wrong because if we sign him, he gets paid and already has the money and won't need to play for it. 

8 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

2016 and 2017 Revis had little motivation to play. Under Pettine with a bit of cash as a 32 year old that motivation could be refound. 

Revis' contract with the Chiefs in 2018 had 550K weekly roster bonuses. He had 3.5 million in his contract based on the Chiefs playoff success and snap counts in 2017.

I can't think of a guy under contract who had MORE motivation to play than Revis. Had everything gone right he could've made 13.5 million dollars in 2018. 9 million just by being on the team for all 16 weeks.

Revis had a ton to play for in KC. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21595987/darrelle-revis-contract-kansas-city-chiefs-tied-roster-bonuses-team-success

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I honestly don't think pride would allow that to happen. Not unless things well and truly collapse and we miss out on everybody. 

Watch us trade Clinton-Dix and our first and 4th round picks to trade up for Josh Allen.  Damage the secondary to have the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL.  With Hundley, Kizer and Allen all competing, we're sure to win four games if Rodgers gets hurt. 

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I honestly don't think pride would allow that to happen. Not unless things well and truly collapse and we miss out on everybody. 

Gettin pretty close. Never in a million years did I think it would take this long. Revis now takes the easiest path possible to a paycheck

LIS - already resigned myself to King / Pick 14 / Stopgap

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This logic doesn't hold up though.  Revis is never playing for another contract.  He will be 33 by the time the preseason starts this year.  Even if he signs a one year deal, no matter how well he plays this coming season, no team would sign a 34 year old corner to big money.  Saying money would motivate him is wrong because if we sign him, he gets paid and already has the money and won't need to play for it. 

I’m not referring to a big pay day I’m referring to the fact that in essence he played for free for the Chiefs based off the offset contract from the Jets. He had 6m coming to him anyway so the motivation to play hard wasnt necessarily there from a financial stand point. Give him 3m to 5m contract this year he has something to play for. Money has always motivated. As well i think he’ll be motivated by pride. You have other 32 year old cbs who have had more press and seen as desirable free agents. That probably gets to him.

Revis is done IMO and I'd be disappointed if we signed him.

Ask me - we're trying to patch up (perceived) holes in our CB selection process. Neither DR or Rollins were "all that" - and now we've got to replace them both (if not fully in Rollins case....certainly by start of the season). Sounds like a tune from the 2014 draft no (?) when were replacing Williams and House?

So - how well have we done drafting or UDFA selections at CB of recent? Have we been selecting and coaching up talent which can take a starting role (?) or at least provide positional backup strength? Or are they just Special Teamers?

Therein lies the rub.

23 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I’m not referring to a big pay day I’m referring to the fact that in essence he played for free for the Chiefs based off the offset contract from the Jets. He had 6m coming to him anyway so the motivation to play hard wasnt necessarily there from a financial stand point. Give him 3m to 5m contract this year he has something to play for. Money has always motivated. As well i think he’ll be motivated by pride. You have other 32 year old cbs who have had more press and seen as desirable free agents. That probably gets to him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21595987/darrelle-revis-contract-kansas-city-chiefs-tied-roster-bonuses-team-success

Look at the 2018 details and tell me that Revis didn't have anything to play for in 2017

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Now show me the Eagles front 7

I'm not saying I'm pleased with it, but there's still time to improve the CB situation.  It's the CB situation combined with the pass rush situation that has me beginning to worry.

Archived