Jets trade up to #3 in the draft with Indy

Iamcanadian

It may have been over priced but the jets put them in a perfect position to get their qb. Bills are pretty much pot committed where they do not have any other options unless they overpay  to get foles and hope he becomes the franchise qb which would be a disaster. I do not think moving up to 12 was to draft Rudolph or Lamar, we all see they made this move strictly to move up to get one of the top 4 qbs. Jets saw this and knew they may be on the outside looking in with pick 6, Browns, bills, and Broncos looking at qbs. By moving up it allows them to pick 1 of the 4 if all goes right or 1 of the 3 that are left if browns draft a qb at 1 and giants draft barkley. Jets also took one of the trade prospects out of the equation which pins the bills on having only one trade partner with giants forcing them to likely overpay to move up. 

What I thought was going to happen pick 2 for 12, 2nd rd pick, and 2019 1st rd pick may now turn in to 12 22 2nd rd pick and 2nd rd pick next year with potentially having to give up one of the 3rd this year as well.  

I also do not see the bills making the move until draft night. Based on what the Browns do with pick 1. Browns go Barkley I can see the giants be more willing to trade back with him off the board. If the browns go qb then the giants may want to stay at 2 and take barkley. If browns go qb at 1 and barkley is off the board I can see them willing to move for the bills picks at #4. 

I think the Jets overpaid but if they belief in 2 of the QB's in this draft then it was worth it.  I agree our only chance to move up and get Rosen is if the Browns select Barkley at 1.  The Giants are not trading #2 if Barkley is there!!   Call it what you want but the Jets just screwed the Buffalo Bills my only hope now is that the Browns select Barkley but if they do then they have to like 3 QB's in the draft to do so because that means Bills and Jets will pick a QB and they are left with the 3rd best QB in the draft at 4 very unlikely.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo Fan said:

I think the Jets overpaid but if they belief in 2 of the QB's in this draft then it was worth it.  I agree our only chance to move up and get Rosen is if the Browns select Barkley at 1.  The Giants are not trading #2 if Barkley is there!!   Call it what you want but the Jets just screwed the Buffalo Bills my only hope now is that the Browns select Barkley but if they do then they have to like 3 QB's in the draft to do so because that means Bills and Jets will pick a QB and they are left with the 3rd best QB in the draft at 4 very unlikely.  

You never know browns may take allen at 1 and the jets may take darnold/mayfield at 3. The jets have to feel confident in Mayfield if the top prospects have been darnold and rosen to only move to 3. They could have held off until draft night to move to 2 if rosen or darnold were the only options they wanted. 

I believe we will trade with the Browns who will likely pass on Barkley at 1.4 to trade with us. 2 first rounders this year and perhaps a 3rd rounder should get the job done, unless Arizona or Denver offer more? Anybody's guess at this point. even the Giants may be will to trade back, but it will cost more to trade with them than with Cleveland??? 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

You never know browns may take allen at 1 and the jets may take darnold/mayfield at 3. The jets have to feel confident in Mayfield if the top prospects have been darnold and rosen to only move to 3. They could have held off until draft night to move to 2 if rosen or darnold were the only options they wanted. 

With so many teams in the bidding for perhaps the #2 QB in the draft, if you wait till draft night, you could lose out in a bidding war. Much better to get the trade done now and pray the Giants do not go QB or trade back as well.

8 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

I'm reading that the Colts got three 2nd rounders! 

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/17/17133948/jets-colts-nfl-draft-trade

Gonna make anything we do pretty expensive. Still, we need to get a true franchise QB somehow.

That is different from what was reported on NFL.com, but if correct, it is going to cost us a ton to get the #4 pick from Cleveland!

7 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Idgf about the #4 pick at this point. Top two pick or bust.

Actually #4 may be a blessing in disguise.

Brown obviously want Darnold/Allen/Barkley

Giants most likely turned down Jets offer so they could stay and take Nelson / Barkley / Chubb

Jet... I assumed they move up for Rosen or Mayfield but just heard that they may prefer Darnold or Allen

That means both Rosen and Mayfield may fall to #4 which is great for us because I've been getting nervous that we may be targetting Allen.

Could be a great move to spend less ammo to get to #4 and still get the guy us fans prefer over Josh Allen

I no longer want to move up. It’s just going to cost way too much. My preference would be to stay at 12 and pick a linebacker. Use 22 for an interior lineman like Will Hernandez. In the second round pick Mason Rudolph and Wr Miller from Memphis. 3rd round pick OT and best cb available. 4th round pick rotational  DT. We would set ourselves up pretty well for Free Agency next year.

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Giants most likely turned down Jets offer so they could stay and take Nelson / Barkley / Chubb

Jet... I assumed they move up for Rosen or Mayfield but just heard that they may prefer Darnold or Allen

That means both Rosen and Mayfield may fall to #4 which is great for us because I've been getting nervous that we may be targetting Allen.

Could be a great move to spend less ammo to get to #4 and still get the guy us fans prefer over Josh Allen

I guess if that were the case I’d wait until draft day. I could see us moving to 4, then moving from 4 to 2 on draft night as well. Other teams are gonna try and move up and it’s been reported that the Bills were targeting that colts pick so it’s clear we want to move up. We have to make a move fast or we risk being beat to it again and that would be completely unacceptable 

4 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

This totally assumes that the Giants aren't staying put to plan for life after Manning. Realistically, if you were the GM for them, do you honestly believe you will lose enough games next year to be in position to look at a QB next year? Who's going to be available? Their moment is now. Why would they ignore their perfect opportunity to land their future QB now when it costs them absolutely nothing extra and when RB's are a dime a dozen (though admittedly not Barkley), and OL & DE help can also be had pretty much every single year?

I'm pretty sure the only way we are getting into the top 5 to pick a QB is if we can somehow convince Cleveland NOT to select Barkley at #4. Frankly, I'm bracing to be disappointed this year. If Bean can pull off a miracle and get us someone worthy of a 1st round selection not named Jackson, I will be stunned...and probably build a shrine to him!

2 hours ago, Joutmaniii said:

I no longer want to move up. It’s just going to cost way too much. My preference would be to stay at 12 and pick a linebacker. Use 22 for an interior lineman like Will Hernandez. In the second round pick Mason Rudolph and Wr Miller from Memphis. 3rd round pick OT and best cb available. 4th round pick rotational  DT. We would set ourselves up pretty well for Free Agency next year.

Who's available next year for us to select in FA? Just in case the Giants don't select a QB at #2, will there be 2 quality FA QB's available or are we going to have to get into a bidding war to land 1 good QB next year? What if at least one of the top 4 rookie QB's are a complete bust? Will there be 3+ FA QB's worthy of leading our team? I think the odds might be stacked against most of these scenarios. What I'm saying is I don't think we can sit and wait and hope anymore. We need to be assertive and act now, essentially pushing all (actually just a lot) of our chips into the pot and force someone else to show their cards.

Archived