Jets trade up to #3 in the draft with Indy

Iamcanadian

47 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Coming out of college he was stated to be a 3-4 OLB. At the combine this is what was said about him:

STRENGTHS: Built like a tank with thickly muscled legs and a broad chest. Clemson played him at 5-­technique and standing up on the outside. Scheme versatile and will likely appeal to be 3­-4 and 4-­3 teams. Very powerful at the point of attack. Able to punch, extend arms and control the line of scrimmage or set a hard edge. Able to shock and shed blockers and has the hand quickness to staggered block attempts. Power allows him to play on other side of the line. Finished second in the nation in "stuffs" for defensive linemen with 17. Comes off ball low and with forward lean into his rush. Has frame to handle a double team. Has plus instincts and feel for the game. Toughness in full display.

SOURCES TELL US: "I see Shaq as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He's not the guy you want to turn loose against the quarterback, but he is the guy that will make it hard for tight ends to block him in the run game. We knew we couldnt run at him and it changed how we called plays." -- ACC offensive coach

NFL COMPARISON: Courtney Upshaw

He has the capability of playing both 3-4 De or 3-4 OLB....ideally he would be better at 3-4 OLB.

Either way giants will need a pass rusher, people say chubb but he doesnt fit so they can either take shaq as a piece or even take edmunds/smith at 12

I've watched him play both. I don't think he has the ideal skillset to be a 3-4 rusher. All that said, he hasn't been great as a 4-3 rusher either. He's been just ok, but definitely an effective run stopper on the edge for us.

--------

From Lawson himself being drafted to play in a 3-4 scheme:

“Yeah, that was kind of odd, yeah it really was,” he said after Saturday’s practice at St. John Fisher. “It was kind of odd because I knew I wasn’t a fit for that defense. They thought I was and I just tried it and see. But I wasn’t very comfortable in it. This year I’m just so excited because it’s something I do, been doing. That’s what we did at Clemson, the same defense. Same scheme, same everything.”

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/lawson-i-knew-i-wasnt-fit-rexs-defense

Other quotes..

Many, including this reporter, believed Lawson was much more suited to be a 4-3 defensive end than a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL.

But plenty of NFL and draft analysts felt he was much more suited to do it as a true 4-3 DE at the next level.  

And as it turns out, so did Lawson himself.

4 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Shaq Lawson has more value to us than a potential trade chip. Injuries hampered him first 2 Years and I think he'll get at least 1 more shake with us.

If its to make the trade more appealing to the giants anything is possible. Poyer, Hyde, White, Dawkins and shady are really the only pieces that are not expendable everyone else should be up for the taken if it means a franchise qb is in play. Shaq is meh as well as hughes. They will eventually upgrade pass rusher but this offseason shows they are focused on QB in the draft and everything else is an afterthought. They get the qb they want then they build around him next year. No matter how they are spinning it this is a complete gut job and a total rebuild. Any player Mcdermott or beane didnt make a play for are for the taken. People will be upset by the moves they are making but this is what happens when you have a new GM and HC you gut the team the previous regime made and you start with the guys they want. The only X factor to this entire thing over the past 25 years that keeps causing bills to repeat itself is not moving up in any of the drafts to take a qb. They either take retreads/backups from other teams, select qbs that are not polished and pro ready and are usually projects. If they were franchise material then those guys would be going top 5 if not top 3. So when that qb fails the team fails and they fire the gm or hc in this case both. Then the process starts all over again without addressing the only thing that truly matters to an organization that can solidify a gm/hc for 5+ years is a franchise QB. Players come and go but the only thing (99%) of the time is the franchise qb stays and so does the HC. Rarely do franchise qbs hit the open market that are under 30 years old and not injured, Kirk Cousins was the only stipulation and I blame that on bad ownership. So bills never truly had a shot at a franchise qb until now and that is why I think anyone on the team except the players mentioned above should and could be offered in order to land their guy.

19 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

If its to make the trade more appealing to the giants anything is possible. Poyer, Hyde, White, Dawkins and shady are really the only pieces that are not expendable everyone else should be up for the taken if it means a franchise qb is in play. Shaq is meh as well as hughes. They will eventually upgrade pass rusher but this offseason shows they are focused on QB in the draft and everything else is an afterthought. They get the qb they want then they build around him next year. No matter how they are spinning it this is a complete gut job and a total rebuild. Any player Mcdermott or beane didnt make a play for are for the taken. People will be upset by the moves they are making but this is what happens when you have a new GM and HC you gut the team the previous regime made and you start with the guys they want. The only X factor to this entire thing over the past 25 years that keeps causing bills to repeat itself is not moving up in any of the drafts to take a qb. They either take retreads/backups from other teams, select qbs that are not polished and pro ready and are usually projects. If they were franchise material then those guys would be going top 5 if not top 3. So when that qb fails the team fails and they fire the gm or hc in this case both. Then the process starts all over again without addressing the only thing that truly matters to an organization that can solidify a gm/hc for 5+ years is a franchise QB. Players come and go but the only thing (99%) of the time is the franchise qb stays and so does the HC. Rarely do franchise qbs hit the open market that are under 30 years old and not injured, Kirk Cousins was the only stipulation and I blame that on bad ownership. So bills never truly had a shot at a franchise qb until now and that is why I think anyone on the team except the players mentioned above should and could be offered in order to land their guy.

I feel Hughes has plateaued and possibly on decline, Murphy is kind of a WC for us, not sure what to expect but Lawson still has untapped upside imo

I would think his value is equivalent to a 5th round pick to other teams based on production and injury concerns. He's more valuable here and don't think he will be coveted to other teams.

Archived