Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

29 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The Vikings picking offensive linemen with their first three picks wouldn't bother me a bit. On the other hand, if they don't get an offensive lineman in their first two picks I will be (further) annoyed at Spielman's lack of addressing an obvious weakness. It was already a huge mistake, IMO, not getting at least one blue chip free agent offensive linemen. I completely agree that finding depth at other positions is way less important than finding starters on the offensive line. Some of the guys they have would be solid depth if they had starters in front of them.

Here is what the team should be targeting IMO (they are still more than one year away from having a good offensive line)

Starters: <upgrade>, <upgrade>, Elflein, <upgrade>, Reiff

Depth: Easton, Hill, <upgrade>, <upgrade>

Depending on how things go, the team may be better off leaving Reiff at LT. Remmers is merely a patch starter since the team was so far from decent when they signed him. He will be too expensive to keep as a backup. If Easton or Hill develops nicely they can be bumped into a starting position but it is tough to plan for that given the team's track record with offensive linemen.

In all, the team has either impending or imminent needs to five new offensive linemen IMO.

I can't rule out some of the current depth (i.e. Isidora) becoming useful depth but so far none of the current depth has shown me that they belong in the NFL as depth yet. They are merely developmental prospects that may or may not pan out.

It is too late for the team to plug all five of these holes on the offensive line this year. We can expect Remmers to patch one of the holes for the year. Getting four offensive linemen in the draft wouldn't seem out of line. Even if all four turned out aces they would be useful to the team. In reality, with how terrible Spielman and company are at drafting offensive linemen they would be lucky if two of the four proved to be useful and they would still need to fill three holes next year.

The Vikings offensive line has been pretty dire for a long, long time. Across the league there are a lot of lines that are mediocre at best but I do not know if there is a single other team that has went so long since having a top third of the league offensive line. Now that the Vikings guaranteed $84M to Cousins, the offensive line really should be a much higher priority (it already should have been much higher even with Keenum IMO). 

It's too unrealistic to have that many upgrades along the OL. We don't need to have an elite group to be effective, nor will that be financially feasible. Give me a bunch of smart and scrappy players that play well together, and I'll be content. I think we have that with Reiff, Elflein and Remmers. Could use two more, but I'm fine letting Easton start again.

21 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Starting to buy into multiple OL in the first 3 rounds. I like Wynn at 30. Question is, does Price fall to our second pick? If so, would both Wynn and Price have a chance to become immediate IOL (RG/LG)? Another question: If we are able to draft Wynn at 30, would Ragnow be available with our 3rd round pick. Again, both could be potential 1st year starters at the guard positions. 

I find it more realistic Price will be around at our second pick than Ragnow being around at our 3rd pick.

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I don’t see it at the DT or OT spots, but I’m pretty critical in what I like at those positions. 

Really?  I mean all of the OTs in this years class have some issue or another and that will push some guys to day 2 or 3.I think there are a ton of 2nd tier DTs after guys like Vea, Hurst, Bryant, and Payne.  In no specific order here are some of the 2nd or 3rd round guys I like.

OT’s:

-Desmond Harrison (could end up being the best OT in this entire draft class, but comes with character issues.)

-Orlando Brown (not athletic, could be lazy, and isn’t an ideal fit for our offense, but he has great tape and could be a steal if he falls to the 3rd.)

-Jamarco Jones (again not an athletic freak, but very strong I think he will play above his draft position and could be an above average starter at RT.)

-Brian O’Niell (very athletic and has potential to play both tackle spots, but might need to add strength.)

-Geron Christian (high potential developmental OT, but probably not someone you want to start right away.)

-Alex Cappa (another high potential developmental OT that probably shouldn’t start right away.  He is a beast in the run game and would make a great RT, but I think he’s too tall to play OG where some people are projecting him.)

I’m not really a fan of Okorafor, Crosby, or Rankin.

For DT Harrison Phillips, Rasheem Green, and Nathan Shepherd could all be great UT prospects.  Tim Settle is a good NT prospect if we look at one early, but I think we would probably take a NT after round 3 to develop like Justin Jones.

I think all of those guys will get picked between rounds 2-4.  That being said I would rather draft both Billy Price and Frank Ragnow over everyone else on this list.  I think their are both much better and safer prospects and think they will both be high end IOL starters.  But if the front office isn’t comfortable with going IOL twice so early in the draft then these guys would be great alternatives.

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

It's too unrealistic to have that many upgrades along the OL

No it is not too unrealistic. That is a defeatist attitude.  As I stated it is going to take more than one more year especially after Spielman didn't get any upgrades via free agency this year. The best time to start is right now with the remaining free agents and then continuing through the draft. With a lot of luck, the team could have a good offensive line with decent depth in as little time as by the end of the draft next year.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

So, free agency...

We still don’t have a kicker. With $20M in cap space, is Forbath still the top option?

Forbath must not be seen very highly. I don't mind waiting until after the draft to see what's available. Perhaps the Vikes want to draft one instead.

25 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Forbath must not be seen very highly. I don't mind waiting until after the draft to see what's available. Perhaps the Vikes want to draft one instead.

No rookie kickers please. I want a guy that for better or worse is a known commodity, not a Roberto Aguayo situation. 

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

No rookie kickers please. I want a guy that for better or worse is a known commodity, not a Roberto Aguayo situation. 

Benefit of a rookie kicker is a really cheap contract for 4 years. Not all rookie kickers are that bad.

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If he is available and not going to be expensive, it really doesn't make sense not to bring him back, even if it is just as competition in camp. Relying solely on a rookie without veteran competition would be foolish

I agree, I'd prefer to bring back Forbath but on a one year contract. Maybe he wants more years.

Archived