Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I about thought the opposite. He needs plenty of work. 

I think he has the ability to start as a rookie even though that might not end up happening.  He would definitely need some time before he’s ready to step in at LT, but he might be able to RT fairly early.  Luckily we have Reiff, Remmers, and Hill to cover OT if he isn’t ready to start.  I think he could easily come off the bench for an injury and immediately be better than guys like Oher, Clemmings, and Sirles.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, gopherwrestler said:

Outside of our own Sirles & Berger, Nobody really worth a hoot or that will start. 

Eric Winston

DJ Flucker

Cameron Flemming

Xavier Su’a-filo

Alex Boone

Mike Pouncey

Luke Joeckel

Greg Robinson

Not that interested in Mike Pouncey?  A Pro Bowl center and one of the best interior linemen in the NFL.  I doubt we have the cash to get him, but the thought of oh we are too good to get a player like Mike Pouncey, give me a freaking break.  Su'a-filo is better than some of our current guards as well, but sure some of the other guys on the list are not even an option.  But Mike Pouncey, yeah he can play a little bit.

3 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Im pretty sure McGlinchey will be gone, otherwise he would be a very good pick. He could possibly step in day 1 and start at RT. And allow Remmers to slide inside, the staff likes him there. 

But we dont really have "veterans" to compete, Berger & Sirles are gone for now. Assuming Remmers stays at RT, that leaves Isidora & Easton at the G spots. I think at least one other veteran interior guy needs to be brought in. Im not saying Price or Ragnow couldnt come in and be solid starters. But you dont want to bring that guy in with the only alternative being Isidora, who's unproven. And thats assuming Easton is going to be the day 1 starter, which imo he's not that great. He's athletic but he's not really gonna maul people. 

After seeing what Min has done in FA. My most ideal scenario for the draft is take the best corner at #30 & take the best guard in the 2nd. As ive said i think the interior guys will slip further than anticipated. Look at last year, Lamp was projected my most to be a surefire 1st round pick and ended up sliding to the 2nd. Same thing will probably happen with some of these guys. 

I mean I don’t think that Sirles would offer much competition for any early drafted OL.  I can definitely see the reasoning to bring in another body though.

We definitely need to add another CB at some point, but idk if I’d want to take one in the first.  Lucky for us there are a lot of good CB and interior OL at the top of the class.  For my ideal scenario we would be able to trade out of the first with one of the teams that is stockpiling 2nds and 3rds.  Then with an extra 2nd or 3rd we could address OL, CB, and UT in the first two days.

I'm a bit suprised we're not discussing CB more. Rick straight up said they were going to evaluate the CB position this weekend for the draft. Now obviously alln positions are properly evaluated ... But he did call this position group out.

What does it mean? That's for us to talk about for 6 week's 

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not that interested in Mike Pouncey?  A Pro Bowl center and one of the best interior linemen in the NFL.  I doubt we have the cash to get him, but the thought of oh we are too good to get a player like Mike Pouncey, give me a freaking break.  Su'a-filo is better than some of our current guards as well, but sure some of the other guys on the list are not even an option.  But Mike Pouncey, yeah he can play a little bit.

He can play, but I’m not just not a huge fan of the guy. 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

He can play, but I’m not just not a huge fan of the guy. 

He has been injured of late so that is an issue, but could be a bargain then potentially.  They need someone for sure, Henderson would have been a nice backup but he is no option anymore.  Most likely get OL in the 1st round of the draft and will have plenty of options potentially from McGlinchey, Kolton Miller to Mason Cole, Orlando Brown, Crosby, Connor Williams or Brian O'Neill.  Depends on if any drop, could get a good one at a decent value depending on what others teams draft ahead of us.  Not sure there are many guards outside of Nelson worth a 1st rounder but Crosby or Connor Williams might end up transitioning to guard.  

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm a bit suprised we're not discussing CB more. Rick straight up said they were going to evaluate the CB position this weekend for the draft. Now obviously alln positions are properly evaluated ... But he did call this position group out.

I know exactly what you’re talking about.  Spielman did say that he was getting together with Zimmer to evaluate the CBs in this years draft, but I wouldn’t read too much into that.  In a previous interview by Zimmer a week or two earlier Zimmer said that he and Spielman were going to be spending a whole day per position to evaluate every position in the draft.  I remember him specifically saying that QB would be the last position that they would look at together.  So when he said that it was really just what position they were scheduled to evaluate for that day.

11 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

IIRC, there was a FA CB mentioned .... somewhere on the net.... that the Vikings were considering interviewing.  That fell off the radar when Cousins, Richardsons deals went through and the purse strings tightened enough to cause renegotiation of Murray's contract and release of Wright.   But, isn't this a 'draft' thread? (see title).  ;)

46 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

IIRC, there was a FA CB mentioned .... somewhere on the net.... that the Vikings were considering interviewing.  That fell off the radar when Cousins, Richardsons deals went through and the purse strings tightened enough to cause renegotiation of Murray's contract and release of Wright.   But, isn't this a 'draft' thread? (see title).  ;)

There were rumors of the Vikings being interested in Bryce Callahan, a restricted free agent with the Bears. 

I still wouldn’t rule him out as a possibility, but if any contract gets offered, I would expect it closer to week 3 of free agency when the “bargain” deals are being made. 

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

If the Vikings are interested in drafting someone to replace Newman, then CB becomes an option around the 4th round.  If the Vikings want to move on from Waynes,  (who I think is still improving, and more than adequate, ) than CB is a 2nd round need at the earliest.  First pick HAS to be OL.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the Vikings are interested in drafting someone to replace Newman, then CB becomes an option around the 4th round.  If the Vikings want to move on from Waynes,  (who I think is still improving, and more than adequate, ) than CB is a 2nd round need at the earliest.  First pick HAS to be OL.

I wouldn't necessarily say "has to be OL"...If a stud at DT, DE, S or CB falls I'd be happy with that.  Otherwise if no clear stud I'd prefer an OL.

33 minutes ago, Heavydan85 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say "has to be OL"...If a stud at DT, DE, S or CB falls I'd be happy with that.  Otherwise if no clear stud I'd prefer an OL.

I’ll say it. It has to be OL. 

They have “studs” already at DE (2), DT (2), CB and S, but none on the OL unless Elflein develops into one. 

They can’t really afford to sign a FA OL starter, and there’s no one good left on the market except Mewhort, who’s injury prone, and Pouncey, who’s expensive and plays the one position where they already have a guy who might develop into a Pro Bowler. 

So they need to draft an OL who can start from day one. 

Getting a CB who can replace Waynes would only be necessary by 2020. They can target CB early in the 2019 draft. 

43 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I’ll say it. It has to be OL. 

They have “studs” already at DE (2), DT (2), CB and S, but none on the OL unless Elflein develops into one. 

They can’t really afford to sign a FA OL starter, and there’s no one good left on the market except Mewhort, who’s injury prone, and Pouncey, who’s expensive and plays the one position where they already have a guy who might develop into a Pro Bowler. 

So they need to draft an OL who can start from day one. 

Getting a CB who can replace Waynes would only be necessary by 2020. They can target CB early in the 2019 draft. 

I think it depends on if they think tackle or guard.  I think OT would be a first, but OG has depth enough in this draft I'd be ok if a stud at a position without a long term answer fell.  I'd also be very happy to go OT in 1 and OG in 2 or 3...but if say Bryan is there at 30 and there was a run on OL and all that is left would be a reach, I'd rather have Bryan and get a OG in round 2.

Archived