Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s also possible that Wright chose to take the smaller offer with a team that just hired the offensive coordinator that he has the most experience with. 

Exactly.

Theres numerous potential reasons why Jarius is not on this team now.

Him not being here, doesn't mean other WR options we look at are viewed better then Jarius.

It would be interesting to see how they’d use Kendall Wright, if he’s signed. 

Wright has primarily been used, it seems via his highlights, over the middle and as a slot receiver during his time in the NFL. But when he was at Baylor, again via highlights, he was used quite often as their deep threat. Saw a good number of vertical plays from him. 

Its no secret that the Vikings have been trying to find a guy who can be reliable stretching the field. 

Despite playing on one of the league’s lower rated offenses – and with a rookie quarterback – Wright had a strong season as Chicago’s slot receiver.

When lining up in the slot (70.9 percent of Wright’s total snaps), he caught 41 of 51 passes in his direction for 393 yards (20th most in the NFL). Of all free agent receivers, he averaged the sixth highest yards per route run, ahead of Sammy Watkins and Paul Richardson, two of the higher paid free agents.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/03/wright-fit-free-agent-wr-kendall-wright-makes-sense-vikings/

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The two playoff games are the only to games of the season where Wright saw the field more than Treadwell. 

Right, like I said, by the end of last year he was getting more snaps and targets than Treadwell. 

Wright didn’t need to take a million dollar paycut in hopes of getting more playing time.

There are no reports that Wright was released at his request instead of for the usual considerations of cap space, and that’s the kind of thing that would be reported if it had happened, which it didn’t. 

3 hours ago, Krauser said:

There are no reports that Wright was released at his request instead of for the usual considerations of cap space, and that’s the kind of thing that would be reported if it had happened, which it didn’t. 

My impression has always been that Wright was cut because the team didn't think the value he brought to the team matched the obligations the team had to him under contract if they were to keep him under contract. Further, my impression is that the team felt that same way last year. This is why they asked him to alter his contract last year. I believe they would have cut him last year if he didn't agree to that. Personally, I do not think that Wright was worth the $2.5M he earned last year nor would I have kept him around on the $4.76M he was in line to make this year. In fact, keeping Wright around on that contract would be somewhat ridiculous IMO.

As far as the Vikings pursuit of the other Wright (Kendall), his compensation will be for quite a bit less than the $4.76M that Jarius would have made under his contract. Kendall has also shown to be a better WR than Jarius during his time in the league.

I do not understand why it is a point of contention that the Vikings would cut Jarius and then sign Kendall. It looks like a pretty solid move, if it happens.

6 hours ago, Krauser said:

if they turn around and spend most or all of the money saved ($2.6M in cap space this year) on another WR (Kendall got $2M from the Bears last year), then that benefit it gone

That math looks a little fuzzy to me. They save $2.6M this year against the cap this year but it saves them quite a bit more money than $2.6M. Purely from a cap perspective, cutting Wright now also saves the team over $1M of '19 cap obligations. While what you wrote isn't wrong, I find it to be misleading. The Vikings are saving over $3.6M of cap dollars. The distinction of how much was saved this year versus next year is somewhat meaningless with how fluidly teams can move cap space from one year to the next. In fact, if the team cared to see greater savings this year they could have designated Wright as a post June 1 cut and took half of the $2M dead money hit next year instead of this year.

Beyond cap dollars, there is the actual dollars they would have had to pay him to keep him around this year too ($2.5M). Now the Vikings have to pay him nothing this year.

Cap cost of keeping Wright this year and next year would have been $9.52M over the two year period. The cap cost over the two years of cutting Jarius Wright when the Vikings did is $2.12M. That is a total cap savings of $7.4M. The team also saves that much cash over the next two years. That cost of that savings is a need to replace Jarius Wright on the roster.

A replacement WR4 should cost $1.5M per year or less. The team will have saved at least $4.4M (cap and cash).

Call my math fuzzy?! Them’s fightin’ words... 

I don’t think the Wilfs care much about cash flow. Cap space does matter, so let’s look at that.

Cutting Jarius and signing Kendall will save basically no cap space this year, unless Kendall signs for way less than he got in Chicago — and why would he?  He played well last year, and should be able to get $2M again, maybe more.  

You’re right that Jarius’ dead money hit upon release this year effectively saves the Vikings $1M they’d have had to absorb if they kept him one more year, then released him heading into 2019. That’s a plus. 

But now they need to replace (or IMO, upgrade) what Jarius could’ve done for them this year and next. I think you’ll find it hard to get a competent veteran WR for much less than $2M unless he’s coming off injury or other off field concerns (like Michael Floyd last year). Considering that Jarius got $7.5M/3 from Carolina, and other marginal performing WRs have had similar deals this off season (for instance, Cody Latimer with 445 career receiving yards got $2.5M/1 from the Giants), Kendall is going to likely expect at least $2M AAV, maybe considerably more. 

If you budget $2.5M AAV for a Jarius replacement, which makes sense, since that’s what Jarius himself is costing the Panthers, you’re now up to $5M to fill that role in 2018 and 2019. Add that to the $2.1M dead money cap hit from releasing Jarius in the first place, and the total cost is a little over $7M — basically breaking even from keeping Jarius.

So why would the Vikings go to all the trouble of releasing Jarius only to have to replace him right away for a net savings of basically nothing in cap space? I think it’s because they want to upgrade the position — get a vet WR who they think is better than Jarius, so they can play him higher in the lineup if needed due to injury, even though they only break even on cost. 

I think that’s interesting, because Jarius’ release was discussed mainly in terms of cap savings, since they signed Richardson and need to extend the 2015 draft class. But if they reinvest the cap money saved into the same position, as they’re trying to by meeting with Kendall, it looks to me that they think they need to upgrade their WR depth. 

And that suggests that they probably don’t have a lot of faith that Treadwell will improve enough to upgrade that position from within this year. 

So with Kendall Wright signed, if they pay him more than $2.5M this year and/or $5M for 2 years, they won’t have saved any real cap space, but they will have (IMO) upgraded the quality of their WR depth. 

Treadwell as WR4 will be the one who’s overpaid. If Diggs extends, and if Kendall is signed for more than 1 year, there isn’t a pathway for him to get a starting job by the end of his rookie deal. Vikings could look to trade him. Pick up another pick and save cap space ($1.8M in 2019 if he’s traded). 

Edit: Pelissero reporting Wright signed for 1 year. 

Extending Diggs still means Treadwell doesn’t get his 5th year option picked up (would cost $10M ish as WR3 at best in 2020), so they could still move him if they don’t like his chances of being WR3 in 2019. 

1 year deal is what I was expecting, for an incoming WR4

Right, the Vikings definitely plan to use the WR with 59 catches last year and 6 straight seasons of 400+ receiving yards as a WR4, behind the WR heading into his 3rd year with career totals of 21 receptions for 215 yards. 

Archived