Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

Right, the Vikings definitely plan to use the WR with 59 catches last year and 6 straight seasons of 400+ receiving yards as a WR4, behind the WR heading into his 3rd year with career totals of 21 receptions for 215 yards. 

We heard this about Michael Floyd last year. 

23 minutes ago, Krauser said:

So with Kendall Wright signed, if they pay him more than $2.5M this year and/or $5M for 2 years, they won’t have saved any real cap space, but they will have (IMO) upgraded the quality of their WR depth. 

Treadwell as WR4 will be the one who’s overpaid. If Diggs extends, and if Kendall is signed for more than 1 year, there isn’t a pathway for him to get a starting job by the end of his rookie deal. Vikings could look to trade him. Pick up another pick and save cap space ($1.8M in 2019 if he’s traded). 

Edit: Pelissero reporting Wright signed for 1 year. 

Extending Diggs still means Treadwell doesn’t get his 5th year option picked up (would cost $10M ish as WR3 at best in 2020), so they could still move him if they don’t like his chances of being WR3 in 2019. 

Both will still get their time on the field we will also want to use Diggs or Thielen in the slot as a look for opposing defenses and it is more likely they use Treadwell outside then Wright also if we want to run the ball with a 3 WR set it would more likely be Treadwell would be a better blocker  then Wright.

It's insurance. Signing Wright doesn't mean Treadwell is immediately WR4, but it gives them insurance in case he has to step up into a bigger role. Kendall has about twice as much production in the league as Jarius, who also doesn't have his same coordinator as  previous years. Maybe JDF likes Kendall better?

The Vikings cut Jarius Wright, choosing to eat $2.1M in dead money while only saving $1.5M. Then they choose to sign Kendall Wright, who’s not only primarily a slot receiver, but is nearly identical, physically, as Jarius Wright. Yet this move is about Treadwell? Ok...

29 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings cut Jarius Wright, choosing to eat $2.1M in dead money while only saving $1.5M. Then they choose to sign Kendall Wright, who’s not only primarily a slot receiver, but is nearly identical, physically, as Jarius Wright. Yet this move is about Treadwell? Ok...

It speaks volumes about the team's confidence level in Treadwell. Based on what I saw, I cannot disagree with their apparent confidence level.

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Well they seem to be getting the players that they go after now. Any news on the contract? Was he cut or a free agent?

We haven't seen numbers but we know that he was a compensatory free agent. The team had 5 net qualifying losses so would still have four after this acquisition. I assume Wright will make enough to qualify. If all of the Vikings currently qualifying losses stick with their new team they are still in line to get four compensatory picks. If Wright ends up costing the team a seventh round pick it still seems to me like a bargain.

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It speaks volumes about the team's confidence level in Treadwell. Based on what I saw, I cannot disagree with their apparent confidence level.

So, what did cutting Wright say about their confidence level in Treadwell?

Seems odd that cutting a slot receiver doesn’t appear to have any indication towards the team’s opinions of Treadwell, yet the signing of a slot receiver supposedly has the team putting Treadwell on notice. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So, what did cutting Wright say about their confidence level in Treadwell?

Seems odd that cutting a slot receiver doesn’t appear to have any indication towards the team’s opinions of Treadwell, yet the signing of a slot receiver supposedly has the team putting Treadwell on notice. 

Putting him on notice? Maybe you missed it, but Zimmer already did that. Things aren't looking good for Treadwell. We all hope he gets it figured out but realistically his odds are long by this point. I don't think this signing puts Treadwell on notice at all. It only shows that the team isn't confident enough in him to not have an alternative ready to go.

Just now, SemperFeist said:

So, what did cutting Wright day about their confidence level in Treadwell?

It could’ve been a vote of confidence, if they hadn’t almost immediately upgraded Wrights. 

As is, Treadwell lost his spot on the depth chart in the playoffs to a guy the Vikings were willing to eat $2M to release. And now they’ve added a new WR who’s better than the WR they released, who was in turn better than Treadwell by the end of last year. 

i don’t know what expectations the team had for Treadwell last year, but it was reasonable to give him a chance to contribute, heading into his second year, with depth / competition brought in only for insurance. He got that chance (played 500 snaps) but didn’t produce.

Now Treadwell’s heading into his 3rd year, and it’s hard to continue to hope he’ll get much better, so they’re upgrading his position with a vet who was a successful starter just last year and comes with no off field baggage. 

Archived