Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Why? I thought Quigley was really good last year and King will cost a lot more.

Always upgrade your roster. Quigley didn’t cost the team anything, like Jeff Locke would, but King is a weapon. Having someone that can flip the field is huge, especially for a team that relies on strong defense. 

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Always upgrade your roster. Quigley didn’t cost the team anything, like Jeff Locke would, but King is a weapon. Having someone that can flip the field is huge, especially for a team that relies on strong defense. 

Minnesota punted 2 more times than Oakland, had 1 more punt inside the 20, and 0 TBs compared to 6 for Oakland. 

I think with a team that has a strong defense, an accurate punter is an asset. At one point about midway through the season, the Vikings had allowe -1 return yards. 

I’m not saying King isn’t a better punter, but with all of the restructures and cost savings the Vikings are pursuing I would find it odd to go from a non guaranteed contract punter to one of the more expensive ones in the league.

On 3/21/2018 at 12:16 PM, Cearbhall said:

I do not know that Allen Hurns is the answer to that need but it seems pretty reasonable to explore the option now that he is an available non-compensatory free agent. I would hope the team is also evaluating the possibility of bringing in Kendall Wright or Jordan Matthews to compete for the third WR job.

I am very happy that Rick did the right thing. Now if we can convince Kendall to take number 17...

The WRs that were taken earlier went for silly money. Teams are starting to get into this cheaper wave now and the Vikings got in on the leading edge of this wave. Watching some of the Wright's clips reminds me why I liked him and hoped the team would give him a look. We should all get a pretty good look at him now. Diggs has a bit of a tendency to get dinged. If that continues we'll see Wright as one of our top two WRs for at some durations. I am glad that Diggs' tendency to get dinged isn't at Rhodes' level. Wright isn't that good but I think we'll be very happy to have him if we need a spot start from time to time.

On the other hand, if Treadwell steps up and can fill in as a starting WR when there is a need that is even better. It is wise of the team to not count on Treadwell but I wouldn't completely give up on him yet. It is close. If the team could get a 7th round pick for him...

Wanting to give up a former first rounder coming into their third year that has showed some ability for a 7th round draft pick does not compute with me. At least Treadwell has the ability to be a solid blocker on the field. This year will be a good opportunity for him to show if he has anything or not, but wanting to kick him to the curb for a glorified UDFA seems pretty silly to me.

Wright is a guy who performs a lot better when he has the freedom to run read routes and get open. He struggled under Whisenhunt when he had to run specific routes. Also tripped over his own feet more than any other player I've watched in the NFL. Admittedly, I was not a fan of his when he got drafted, but aside from one good year he wasn't worth a first. As a third or fourth option he should be fine, as long as he accepts that role.

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Minnesota punted 2 more times than Oakland, had 1 more punt inside the 20, and 0 TBs compared to 6 for Oakland. 

I think with a team that has a strong defense, an accurate punter is an asset. At one point about midway through the season, the Vikings had allowe -1 return yards. 

I’m not saying King isn’t a better punter, but with all of the restructures and cost savings the Vikings are pursuing I would find it odd to go from a non guaranteed contract punter to one of the more expensive ones in the league.

I agree.

I think it'd be great to have King and wouldn't complain a bit if he comes here but Quigley is a good enough punter where we shouldn't have to spend $2-3 million on the position to fill a need.

2 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Wanting to give up a former first rounder coming into their third year that has showed some ability for a 7th round draft pick does not compute with me. At least Treadwell has the ability to be a solid blocker on the field. This year will be a good opportunity for him to show if he has anything or not, but wanting to kick him to the curb for a glorified UDFA seems pretty silly to me.

You are mistaken in thinking that the 7th round pick would be the main benefit to the team. The main benefit to the team would be getting another team to assume the contract. Treadwell is earning way too much to be a WR4. Getting another team to take that in trade is what lowers the trade value. If Treadwell's contract was a WR4 contract I would not at all be willing to trade him away for a 7th round pick. However, Treadwell has a first round contract.

If the team keeps Treadwell, his cap hit in the next two years will total $5.87M. If the team trades him his accelerated signing bonus will sting them for $2.7M. If the team cuts Treadwell, the team will be stung with the $2.7M signing bonus plus the $2.5M in guaranteed salaries for a cost of $5.2M. As you can see, cutting him saves them almost nothing which is why that seems unlikely. Trading him, however, is a nice savings. The point of trading him would not be to get the 7th round draft pick but it would be nice to get a pick, any pick, back for him.

Is having Treadwell on the roster worth the $570k incremental cost over the next two years when compared to cutting him? I think so. I would keep him and hope for the best.

Is having Treadwell on the roster for the next two years worth a $3.17M incremental cost compared to trading him? I do not think so and if I get a seventh round pick to sweeten the deal I would be tickled pink.

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Conversations change quicklyb here.

It was "that qb needs to throw the ball to Treadwell cause all he is doing is throwing to Diggs & thilen"

To

I'd wish we can give Treadwell away to another team

I never believed Treadwell's lack of production was largely related to Keenum not looking his way. Treadwell was even less productive without Keenum than he was with Keenum.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm still on the Treadwell hype train.

Year 3, new QB, new OC, and in good position to win the #3 spot. This is the year

Even though I wouldn't bet $3M dollars on it, I hope you are right.

I haven't lost all hope though. I would bet $600k of the teams money on the possibility.

Last year was Treadwell’s year to prove himself. He got a lot of snaps as a WR3, and was almost always single covered as defenses had to key on Thielen and Diggs. By year 2 you expect a 1st round WR given that kind of playing time to produce. 

But Treadwell was easily the weakest link in the passing attack. Despite playing WR3 snaps most of the year, he put up only 200 receiving yards — less than half what the WR3 had produced in recent years for less effective Vikings passing offenses. Patterson 2016, Wright 2015, Wright and Johnson 2014, and Patterson 2013 were all over 400 yards as the team’s 3rd most targeted WRs, and even Simpson 2012 playing with Ponder and missing 4 games with a suspension had 275.

Treadwell aside, the passing offense did produce from top to bottom:  All Pro votes for Thielen, Diggs near 1000 yards, McKinnon with 51 catches, Rudolph going to the Pro Bowl, and Keenum at the top of the league in QBR. Meanwhile Treadwell was a black hole on offense. 

He did have the one great catch along the sideline in the Packers game but otherwise failed repeatedly to win in contested catch situations, including the deep pass to the goalline early in the Ravens game that he tipped up for an INT. Most of the rest of his catches were either on simple comeback routes against man or inbreaking short to medium routes against zone. I don’t know if he ever got open behind a DB all year. He made mental errors too, including stupidly staying in bounds just before halftime (Washington game, IIRC) and then fumbling but being lucky it went out of bounds, and taking a personal foul penalty on a crackback block. 

Maybe he can still turn it around and contribute, but there’s no realistic reason to expect that, after he did so little in year 2. Here’s a PFR search for all WRs since 2006 with 20+ games played in their first 2 years, but under 400 receiving yards: http://pfref.com/tiny/DwKjc . List is over 100 receivers, almost all late round picks and UDFAs. Treadwell is the only 1st rounder. Very few of the names on this list ever developed into productive starters, and all of those that I recognize (Jermaine Kearse, Lance Moore, Miles Austin and someone named Adam Thielen) were UDFAs who had less opportunity than Treadwell did this early in his career.

At this point, he looks like a complete bust. As @Cearbhall explained, there’s no point in releasing him, but if they can trade him and save cap space while adding some draft value, I’d take it.

The other consideration is that they do have a couple of young WRs who looked very good in preseason last year — Stacy Coley (7th rounder) and Cayleb Jones (UDFA). If those guys outplay Treadwell again this training camp, it’d be smart not to risk losing them by trying to get them onto the practice squad. Might as well give the playing time to guys who look like they have a better chance to produce.

Archived