Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

Just don’t get the fascination with Stephen, let him walk and see if he’ll qualify as a compensatory loss. His ideal job, backup swing tackle, already has a player in it - Jaleel Johnson.

He is below average against the run and pass as both a nose and under tackle. Quite frankly, the only reason that he’s stuck in my mind is because of injuries to Floyd and Johnson not being a full time player. 

If he costs you anymore than $1M he’s not worth it. 

I thought Stephen was half decent in that role last year, improved quite a bit from where he was as a rookie and when he was trying to play 3-tech too much in 2016. Bleacher Report film analysis put him 57th in the league (of 104 DTs), PFF 49th (of 79 qualifying DTs) — both suggesting he’s a low end DT2 quality player, which would be nice to have as the DT3 or DT4 depending on how Jaleel does. 

I think they might be able to get a nice team friendly deal for him since he’s coming off injury and doesn’t have the stats to justify much interest on the open market. If they could get him for a modest price with a team option 2nd year, that’d be great. 

Otherwise they really need to draft a NT, not sure if they trust Jaleel to start at that position if Linval misses much time.

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

I thought Stephen was half decent in that role last year, improved quite a bit from where he was as a rookie and when he was trying to play 3-tech too much in 2016. Bleacher Report film analysis put him 57th in the league (of 104 DTs), PFF 49th (of 79 qualifying DTs) — both suggesting he’s a low end DT2 quality player, which would be nice to have as the DT3 or DT4 depending on how Jaleel does. 

I think they might be able to get a nice team friendly deal for him since he’s coming off injury and doesn’t have the stats to justify much interest on the open market. If they could get him for a modest price with a team option 2nd year, that’d be great. 

Otherwise they really need to draft a NT, not sure if they trust Jaleel to start at that position if Linval misses much time.

I agree, I think Stephen is fine for what he is. He can play both DT spots and is still fairly young. At $2-3 million per year, I take him back as DT3. We really don't know what we have in Johnson and if Joseph has to miss any time, not sure I'd feel comfortable with Johnson in his spot.

With just under $20 million left to spend, I think the focus needs to be improving depth spots at DT, LB and CB. I'd hope to lock up one of next year's free agents too.

56 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the focus needs to be improving depth spots at DT, LB and CB. I'd hope to lock up one of next year's free agents too.

I have to disagree with this opinion. The team needs to do whatever they can to beef up the offensive line. Locking up one of next year's free agents would be nice but Spielman typically doesn't execute those deals until training camp.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I have to disagree with this opinion. The team needs to do whatever they can to beef up the offensive line. Locking up one of next year's free agents would be nice but Spielman typically doesn't execute those deals until training camp.

Im guessing we might not see much on the OL front until Berger makes a decision. 

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Im guessing we might not see much on the OL front until Berger makes a decision. 

Which would be a mistake. You got to proceed like he is not coming back. If a player is willing to come here & fills a need you gotta take him.

In Rick's interview it seemed like he could welcome back Stephan, but not Johnson.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Which would be a mistake. You got to proceed like he is not coming back. If a player is willing to come here & fills a need you gotta take him.

In Rick's interview it seemed like he could welcome back Stephan, but not Johnson.

Obviously just speculation, but not so sure on Stephen. 

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

The differences in the answers Rick gave about Stephen & Johnson when asked leads me to believe, Stephen is preferred over Johnson.

Makes sense and is possibly an indication that Jaleel Johnson is an UT, not a NT.

21 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The differences in the answers Rick gave about Stephen & Johnson when asked leads me to believe, Stephen is preferred over Johnson.

Does it matter if neither are coming back?

Archived