Free agency reset — Wave 2

Klomp

IIRC, Jaleel Johnson was mostly playing 3-tech last year in preseason and in the brief action he saw at the end of the year. Will Sutton, who was supposedly going to regain his junior college year explosiveness by moving back to 3T, was playing NT next to him in preseason, even though Jaleel is the bigger body. 

If not Jaleel, they could draft a NT. They’d probably also need to add a veteran retread backup, like Sutton or Kenrick Ellis in previous year, at least as a placeholder — so they don’t have to make a point of drafting someone and rely on him to make the team without real competition. If they paid vet minimum it wouldn’t affect the cap  

If they think Jaleel can be a good enough NT, they probably still need a 3T pass rusher to rotate in on passing downs. There’s often good value in the mid rounds of the draft for undersized interior rushers, or maybe they can unearth another gem of a budget free agent, like Tom Johnson back when they first brought him in. 

In either case, they probably want another depth guy in addition to Jaleel who could start a game if needed and ideally play some rotational snaps to keep the starters fresh. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

What do you guys think about McKinnon? I am skeptical but also hopeful 

He'll be great for Shanahan. Maybe won't ever be quite the runner Freeman was in ATL, but he's going to be a good fit there.

I feel comfortable going into the draft with our current group of OL. At least we have a potential starter at every position. Reiff-Easton-Elflein-Remmers-Hill.  I would be ok with signing an additional OL in free agency if we can find a good deal on someone, but a lot of the guys left are scrubs.  As long as we go after OL hard in the draft we should be fine.  Ideally Remmers would end up back at RT and Hill would be the swing OT.  I’d also like to see competition for Easton brought in.  Mike McGlinchey, Billy Price, and Frank Ragnow are my top targets and all of them are day 1 starters.

7 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Honestly I think drafting a 3T would be prudent given Richardson could just be a one year and done (hopefully not)

Wouldn't be surprised if Hurst has a pretty decent fall and is available day 2, would make a lot of sense at that point

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Hurst has a pretty decent fall and is available day 2, would make a lot of sense at that point

If he falls then yes I’d definitely take him there, but there is also a decent chance that he doesn’t fall. It depends on how bad his heart issue is.  It could be like Star Lotulelie where he is still a top 20 draft pick, hopefully it’s not as bad as Nick Fairley’s where he is advised that he should never play football again.  Those are the two players with heart issues that I can think of.  Can anyone think of a comp that fell to the middle rounds because of a heart issue?

Im still waiting for Minnesota to add an Oline via free agency, unless they are just waiting on a decision from Berger. 

There must be something seriously wrong with Mewhort's knee's as i thought he would garner more interest. If he can pass a physical i think he could be an upside signing. Also a guy like Joeckel might not be bad for depth purposes, although ill admit im not sure how well he did in Sea last year.

They must have some sort of confidence in the development of Isidora & A.Collins. I realize they will draft an offensive lineman or two, but i dont wanna have to rely solely on rookies starting and being adequate. I like Hill, but im not so sure he's ready to be a full time starter. One guy i like in the draft for depth is Alex Cappa, he could slip some and has versatility. 

Point is, they invested big time in Kirk Cousins. Better protect him. 

Mewhort would be good if we can get him for a team friendly deal.  I was expecting him to sign a bigger contract though.

Billy Price is every bit as good as Pat Elflein is and he won’t have any strength or technique issues in his rookie year.  So while he would be a rookie starting I think he would be every bit as good as most veterans on day 1.

Ragnow and McGlinchley are guys that probably won’t need much time to get into the starting lineup, but either way we would already have veterans at their spot to compete for the job.  So they wouldn’t just be given the job.

30 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Mewhort would be good if we can get him for a team friendly deal.  I was expecting him to sign a bigger contract though.

Billy Price is every bit as good as Pat Elflein is and he won’t have any strength or technique issues in his rookie year.  So while he would be a rookie starting I think he would be every bit as good as most veterans on day 1.

Ragnow and McGlinchley are guys that probably won’t need much time to get into the starting lineup, but either way we would already have veterans at their spot to compete for the job.  So they wouldn’t just be given the job.

Im pretty sure McGlinchey will be gone, otherwise he would be a very good pick. He could possibly step in day 1 and start at RT. And allow Remmers to slide inside, the staff likes him there. 

But we dont really have "veterans" to compete, Berger & Sirles are gone for now. Assuming Remmers stays at RT, that leaves Isidora & Easton at the G spots. I think at least one other veteran interior guy needs to be brought in. Im not saying Price or Ragnow couldnt come in and be solid starters. But you dont want to bring that guy in with the only alternative being Isidora, who's unproven. And thats assuming Easton is going to be the day 1 starter, which imo he's not that great. He's athletic but he's not really gonna maul people. 

After seeing what Min has done in FA. My most ideal scenario for the draft is take the best corner at #30 & take the best guard in the 2nd. As ive said i think the interior guys will slip further than anticipated. Look at last year, Lamp was projected my most to be a surefire 1st round pick and ended up sliding to the 2nd. Same thing will probably happen with some of these guys. 

Archived