1ST RD PICKS FOUR CLEVELAND

Money

20 hours ago, Money said:

1) CLE - Saquon Barkley RB PENN STATE

I look at it this way. Darnold/Hyde is somewhat limited. It's like ehhhhhh - mediocre. Now even my worst case Taylor/Barkley gives me such a better future. Hell I'll take LaMar Jackson as an ATH with one of my extra picks. If I take Barkley, I create an artificial demand for QB at the 4th pick, because the Browns still would be interested in QB and the Jets will be taking a QB at 3rd overall. Teams might not want to trade up to NYG at 2nd overall because no QB really stands out so they would rather deal with the Browns at 4th overall. By taking Barkley 1st overall, you get the best player in the draft and you also increase your return in trade

1. You're not creating artificial demand for a QB at #4 by taking a RB.  If anything, you're reducing demand, because now Denver can draft a QB at #5 without trading up.

2. I don't like Darnold either, but there are four top QB's.  If the Browns don't like Darnold, they can take someone else. 

3. Sashi Brown has been fired.  The Browns hired a GM who mortgaged the future to trade up and take a QB just last year in Kansas City.  Do you really think they're going to risk missing out and wait until the bottom of the first round?

2) NEW YORK GIANTS - Quenton Nelson G NOTRE DAME

All-Pro. Giants get stuck with no one wanting to come up to take a QB

You have Buffalo trading up two picks later.

7) TAMPA BAY - Roquan Smith LB GEORGIA

They could go a few directions here. I'm thinking you might want to build the defense the same way as last time with a Derrick Brooks figure in the middle, so that's why I went with Smith here.

I take it you think they're going to let Kwon Alexander walk?  Otherwise the Buccaneers have a very good linebacker corp as is with Alexander, Lavonte David and recently drafted Kendall Beckwith.  Their secondary and pass rush on the other hand....

8) CHICAGO - Minkah Fitzpatrick CB ALABAMA

Chicago needs secondary. Minkah is your classic secondary player. I'm not sure where you play him but he'll help their secondary. Player with positional flexibility.

** TRADE ***

9) CLEVELAND - Derwin James S FLORIDA STATE

Cleveland is coming up here to snap an elite athletic freak. Derwin James is a fast, hard hitting, playmaking safety. Basically, all you'd want out of a safety. Raw. But the physical tools are there to develop.

Chicago has matched Green Bay's offer sheet for Kyle Fuller and they have also resigned Prince Amukamura.  Unless you think Fitzpatrick is going to alternate between nickel corner and strong safety (because Eddie Jackson did well at FS last year), I'm not sure how much sense that makes. 

Cleveland on the other hand are a year removed from drafting a safety at the bottom of the first round (and then playing him way out of position) and then trading for Demarious Randall.  Rumor has it they plan to move him back to free safety, but that's unconfirmed.  I'm not sure Derwin James would help them as much as say Denzel Ward or another cornerback. 

13) WASHINGTON - Vita Vea DT WASHINGTON

When does Cleveland pick again next?

Well, I mean if you're going to have Cleveland involved in every trade, you can probably Madden your way towards having them draft the entire first round. 

14) GREEN BAY - Josh Jackson CB IOWA

Denzel Ward I'm not too high on. Plus, I think Josh Jackson is an All-Pro and is a better fit in the Packers zone blitz scheme. Iowa ran zone and he's great at reading and reacting to the QB's eyes.

I may be completely wrong, but it's my understanding, but while  Mike Pettine uses the zone blitz heavily, his cornerbacks are usually in man coverage. Not a role Josh Jackson is best suited to. 

15) ARIZONA - Baker Mayfield QB OKLAHOMA

Not a fan of this guy. He's a slower Johnny Manziel with a better arm. I don't think that plays at this level. He succeeded in college with a more passing version of Manziel's style in Oklahoma's offense. Manziel was more scramble make a play. Mayfield was more strucutured chaos. I just don't think that will play at this next level.

Johnny Manziel actually wasn't that bad when he was playing.  The problems stemmed primarily from his off the field activities.  Now, you can say that Mayfield will cause problems off the field, and that very well be true, but if it is, they certainly won't be the same problems Manziel caused.  Baker Mayfield's worst case scenario isn't Johnny Manziel.... it's Cade McNown. 

18) SEATTLE - Jaire Alexander CB LOUISVILLE

Still no Denzel Ward. He's an inflation guy. Simmie Cobbs beat him up and he's a 5th rounder. I like Alexander - he can cover and tackle and make plays in the secondary.

If you switched Alexander and Josh Jackson, I think that would make much more sense for both teams.  Seattle was the team that popularized the cover three and you gave them a speedster who can struggle with physical receivers (like Simmit Cobbs). 

19) DALLAS - DJ Moore WR MARYLAND

DJ Moore reminds me of Golden Tate. He's like a running back when he gets the ball. Once again, teams would go with Ridley in this spot. But what I think would be best for the Cowboys is someone that can make plays after the catch and help Dak in the short to intermediate pass game. Splash plays are nice and Moore and Ridley would both give you that, I just think Moore will give me some more of those extra yards that make all the difference in situational football. 3 & 2 is much different than 3 & 7. Dak didn't do quite as well this year with unfavorable situations like he did in his rookie year. 

23) LA RAMS - Calvin Ridley WR ALABAMA

Lose some speed in Sammy Watkins and pick it right back up with Calvin Ridley. He's taller and slower than I thought. But he's a good player. A #2 WR. Need to replace weapons lost or Goff will have a down year.

Uhmmm, DJ Moore's 40 time was faster than Calvin Ridley's by one one-hundredth of a second. 

20) DETROIT - Derrius Guice RB LSU

Overrated here. But the Lions will gobble up a RB in the first round. Much better value can he had in this draft. Maybe they go for Ronald Jones. But Guice could be a good fit for Detroit

Detroit just signed LaGarrette Blount.  Now, you can argue they still need help at running back, but do they still need to reach for one? 

22) SAN FRANCISCO - Denzel Ward CB OHIO STATE

San Francisco gets maybe a guy they would've taken at 9th overall but pick up an early 2nd rounder as well. They got a lot of needs and he'll be an upgrade over what they got right now.

Yes, I would be very surprised to see him this far, especially considering you have two (or three) cornerbacks going ahead of him.  You can argue that Jaire Alexander's 40 helped him, but Ward was still faster. 

27) NEW ORLEANS - Equanimeous St. Brown WR NOTRE DAME

I think it's just asinine to take a QB here.

You have a QB going two picks later. 

29) CLEVELAND - LaMar Jackson ATH LOUISVILLE

First, I want the 5th year option on him so I'll take him here instead of 33rd. Second, I have that Belichick character lurking a few picks lower and he might think about having Jackson wait a LONG time behind Tom Brady.

After trading away Jacoby Brissett a day after he threw for 340 yards and four touchdowns (albeit in the preseason), I'd be very surprised to see the Patriots consider drafting a quarterback like Lamar Jackson ever again.

21 hours ago, Money said:

32) PHILADELPHIA - Ronald Jones II RB USC

Lose LeGarrette Blount and give Jay Ajayi a burner to go with him. Ronald Jones didn't time very well but he's fast. There's no doubt about that.

Corey Clement?  Donald Pumphrey? 

Absolutely awful for the Bucs. LB is by far our best position group. We have two all pro caliber talents and a pro bowl caliber guy who was a rookie last year. Most of the time we have a tough time getting those 3 on the field at the same time. The last thing we need is another LB. Literally almost any position would be better. I’m starting to like the idea of taking Derwin James if Chubb doesn’t fall.

Please, please, please ..... stop mocking Saquan Barkley to the Browns with the first pick of the draft.  Simply, this is not happening.   Until that is realized, then, this is an exercise in futility.  Barkley is not going to be drafted at 1 or 3.  

1. Now that the Jets have positioned themselves at Pick 3, the Browns will be taking a quarterback with the 1st pick of the draft.   

The only real question for the first three picks overall is whether the Giants take Barkley or a quarterback.  If the Giants take a QB or trade their pick, then, the first three overall picks will be quarterbacks. This means that Barkley, Chubb, Mayfield/Allen and Fitzpatrick will still be there at the fourth pick.  Then, that is where the fun begins.  

If the Giants take Barkley, then, don't be shocked if Denver flips with the Browns at 4.  Otherwise,  if Buffalo wants 4, they are going to have to give up the house to get there.  

23 hours ago, Money said:

get your QB that you are desperately looking for

Says....you and you. 

If the Browns are so desperate for a QB (and we are), why do we make it our 4th selection in the 1st round instead of our 1st? Lamar Jackson is the 5th rated QB in this draft class that has 4 guys at the top of it that are seen as excellent franchise QB options.

I love the first three picks. Those are 3 of my top 6 players in the draft, but we still miss out on the QB. I don't even dislike Lamar Jackson. What I dislike is the dancing around the position and then taking the 5th best QB instead of the 1st.

Stop stating things as facts and then crying when people disagree with you. It's not a good look dude.

7 hours ago, Crickett said:

Detroit just signed LaGarrette Blount.  Now, you can argue they still need help at running back, but do they still need to reach for one? 

I agreed with pretty much everything in your post, except for this. I don't think Guice would really be a reach at #20...

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I agreed with pretty much everything in your post, except for this. I don't think Guice would really be a reach at #20...

You may not think so, but the person who wrote this mock clearly didn't judging by his explanation of that particular pick. 

On 3/17/2018 at 12:51 PM, Money said:

30) MINNESOTA - Donte Jackson CB LSU

Minnesota looking for a CB to pair with Xavier Rhodes. Rhodes is a prototypical CB so I would think I'd want someone with a ton of speed to cover that 2nd WR

Trae Waynes says hi. I could've missed them but it appears that the following 3 OL are available:

Mike McGlinchey

Will Hernandez

Isaiah Wynn

Archived