Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Acgott

Should the Giants have accepted the Jets offer for #2?

Recommended Posts

 

I agree with Banner that the Jets proposed this trade to us and the Browns. Were we right to decline it?

Going by the draft chart 

#2= 2600

#6= 1600, #37= 530, #49= 410, 2019 2nd=200

=2740

A difference of 140 points or a late 3rd in our favor. 

I fully support declining that trade unless the 2019 second was a first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice if you guys accepted a Bills offer..  I mean Beane and Gettleman are pretty good friends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

It would be nice if you guys accepted a Bills offer..  I mean Beane and Gettleman are pretty good friends

Both your first, a second, and next year’s first won’t get it done anymore if the Giants turned down the Jets.

#12= 1200, #22=780, #53=370, 2018 1st=400

=2750, but throw in #56=340 for a total of 3090.

That seems to be the new minimum for the Bills to reach #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Both your first, a second, and next year’s first won’t get it done anymore if the Giants turned down the Jets.

#12= 1200, #22=780, #53=370, 2018 1st=400

=2750, but throw in #56=340 for a total of 3090.

That seems to be the new minimum for the Bills to reach #2.

 

Don't see it...

If true Jets offer was 2730... So even without pick 56 ours would out value theirs. I could see adding a 2019 3rd and a 4th this year to sweeten the pot tho.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.  Stay put and take Sam Darnold or Saquon Barkley.   You either get a franchise QB, or a generational talent at RB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

 

Don't see it...

If true Jets offer was 2730... So even without pick 56 ours would out value theirs. I could see adding a 2019 3rd and a 4th this year to sweeten the pot tho.

 

The Giants, in theory, declined the Jets offer which is basically the same as my Bills offer (minus the second 2nd). If the Giants felt it was close they would’ve have gotten something done. I don’t see those two late Bills picks as the deciding factor that would have prevented the Giants from dealing with the Jets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Acgott said:

The Giants, in theory, declined the Jets offer which is basically the same as my Bills offer (minus the second 2nd). If the Giants felt it was close they would’ve have gotten something done. I don’t see those two late Bills picks as the deciding factor that would have prevented the Giants from dealing with the Jets.

No but I could see instead of a first round pick next year us spending 12, 22, 53, and 65... That's a pretty good package. You add 2 firsts, a 2nd and 1st overall pick in the 3rd. Probably have to add a little bit more to it but that's just a rough guess. I think Gettleman just would prefer to have 2 first round picks over Jets offer. 

I personally would rather trade with the Browns at #4 and take whatever QB is still on board. 1 of the 4 will still be up there... Most likely 2. And would be a lot cheaper for us. I really like Baker so I assume Browns take Darnold/Allen, Jets take Rosen, and Baker drops to us at 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@marshawn lynch The Giants declined the Jets offer.

Their offer was 

#6= 1600, #37= 530, #49= 410, 2019 2nd=200

=2740

My proposed Bills offer was that the Giants would have declined is

#12= 1200, #22=780, #53=370, 2018 1st=400

=2750 

You really can’t be much closer. 

Your proposed offer 

#12=1200, #22=780, #53=370, #65=265

=2615

Why would the Giants decline the Jets offer to accept a worse Bills offer?

Of course it’s cheaper to trade for #4, but then you be likely stuck with QB #4. If the Giants didn’t accept the Jets offer to take a RB or OL, that’s a terrible decision. 1-3 will now be QBs. That’s a lot for the Bills to trade up now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously didn't read the part we're I said it's just a rough outline and we would have to add more to it. That is just the base of the deal. Maybe give us an extra 4th and we throw in another 2nd or something like that. Or maybe add a player... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Acgott said:

@marshawn lynch The Giants declined the Jets offer.

Their offer was 

#6= 1600, #37= 530, #49= 410, 2019 2nd=200

=2740

My proposed Bills offer was that the Giants would have declined is

#12= 1200, #22=780, #53=370, 2018 1st=400

=2750 

You really can’t be much closer. 

Your proposed offer 

#12=1200, #22=780, #53=370, #65=265

=2615

Why would the Giants decline the Jets offer to accept a worse Bills offer?

Of course it’s cheaper to trade for #4, but then you be likely stuck with QB #4. If the Giants didn’t accept the Jets offer to take a RB or OL, that’s a terrible decision. 1-3 will now be QBs. That’s a lot for the Bills to trade up now.

Maybe the Giants were thinking a few steps ahead and foresaw the increase in value a Jet/Colts trade would have on their pick. 

Edited by w4rrior723

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Obviously didn't read the part we're I said it's just a rough outline and we would have to add more to it. That is just the base of the deal. Maybe give us an extra 4th and we throw in another 2nd or something like that. Or maybe add a player... 

Fine we add a little.

#12=1200, #22=780, #53=370, #56=340, #65=265

=2955

#2=2600, #102=92

Difference in value is about a high 3rd.

While this is a good haul for the Giants, I personally don’t see them accepting it. I think the Bills are going to need to trade 3 1st to make it work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All these hypothetical trade-ups by Buffalo fans by which the Bills would acquire the Giants #2-overall pick remind me of the Paul Newman figure, coach Reggie Dunlop, in Slapshot. He kept promoting an invented rumor that a group of investors in Florida wanted to buy the Charlestown Chiefs. His hope was that, if he pushed the rumor hard enough, it might come true, in real life. 

A lot of these trade-up scenarios, and the value proposed for the Bills to pay, are wishful thinking.

Image result for Paul Newman in Slapshot

Edited by bzane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should have taken the Jets offer for the sole reason that I think we are on our way to salary cap purgatory soon. It's not salary cap he'll, but with all the escalators in contracts plus Odell needing an extension plus Collins coming up, it would give us flexibility with some cheap talent in the wings while at the same time being in a position to pick up a Qb that drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW I don't take any Bills offer unless they toss both 1sts this year and a first next year if I am Gettleman.

Use the late first to take a gamble on Jackson and the second first next year as insurance for any issues that pop up. That's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×