2018 Depth Chart...How do you see it?

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Like this lineup and I’d have something similar tbh. Only change would be adding an OL Silberman (versatile) probably for Wilber/Cowser. Picking up OL off the street is really difficult and going with only 8 OL especially with 2 rookie OTs is too much of a risk.

Holton is good on STs so could make the team over Ateman. 

I had similar thoughts when I wrote it out. Ideally they could find a way to stash Parker on IR and essentially get a redshirt year to get him in the weight room and work on technique. He's an intriguing and useful prospect but not all that useful as a reserve right now. Conceptually I agree on Silberman as well. Useful that he can practically play any position on the line in a pinch. Problem is he doesn't play any of them particularly well with any consistency. Cut lists might have some interesting names.

Agree on Holton. I was torn between him and Ateman. We might struggle to find a replacement at gunner if Holton is cut. Hamilton would be the only guy on my 53 who has experience in that area. But Ateman got the tie-breaker spot in my view based on what he can offer in goal line situations on offense and being recently drafted. Holton on the other hand offers a possible deep threat on offense (not reliably however) and I think Bryant offers that in a better form. 

On 21/08/2018 at 11:18 PM, StocktonSav said:

I had similar thoughts when I wrote it out. Ideally they could find a way to stash Parker on IR and essentially get a redshirt year to get him in the weight room and work on technique. He's an intriguing and useful prospect but not all that useful as a reserve right now. Conceptually I agree on Silberman as well. Useful that he can practically play any position on the line in a pinch. Problem is he doesn't play any of them particularly well with any consistency. Cut lists might have some interesting names.

Agree on Holton. I was torn between him and Ateman. We might struggle to find a replacement at gunner if Holton is cut. Hamilton would be the only guy on my 53 who has experience in that area. But Ateman got the tie-breaker spot in my view based on what he can offer in goal line situations on offense and being recently drafted. Holton on the other hand offers a possible deep threat on offense (not reliably however) and I think Bryant offers that in a better form. 

Do you think we will keep L.Hall, D.Johnson and R.Nelson if none of them are starters. The likes of Luani, Wilber/Cowser are all ST stalwarts and you need those types of guys on the roster. Hall may survive if/when Worley is suspended. Johnson I am not sure we will keep. Lee seems ensconced and looks good as run MLB, I guess it depends on whether the staff see Morrow as viable nickel LB. 

8 hours ago, Dessie said:

Do you think we will keep L.Hall, D.Johnson and R.Nelson if none of them are starters. The likes of Luani, Wilber/Cowser are all ST stalwarts and you need those types of guys on the roster. Hall may survive if/when Worley is suspended. Johnson I am not sure we will keep. Lee seems ensconced and looks good as run MLB, I guess it depends on whether the staff see Morrow as viable nickel LB. 

I no longer think Hall makes it. I would expect DRC replaces him as the #4 corner given that he's younger, better, and from rumors can play a little safety.

Nelson I think makes it. His familiarity with Guenthers system as a safety net. I don't think he would make it if the staff was confident in our starting safeties. I like Luani and he may have potential. But I don't think he's done enough to make the roster this year. He is good on special teams but without flashes on D, I don't think they can fit him in. Harris overtook him. Again, if there was more confidence in our starting safeties I believe Luani would make it over Nelson.

Lee has played well but I also think Johnson makes it no doubt. Mainly because of the LB composition. Similar to S as far as uninspiring. Whitehead is the only one with significant starting experience. The others are STers (Wilber, Lamur) or inexperienced (Lee, Morrow, Cowser). Not enough guys have stepped up to push Johnson off the roster imo.

But I get you on the ST concerns. A lot of these guys are vital in that regard. Not ideal to have too many older vets as back ups if they offer no ST value. What likely would happen is more starters/rotational players playing double duty on STs. ie Lee, Morrow, Calhoun, Harris

36 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

I no longer think Hall makes it. I would expect DRC replaces him as the #4 corner given that he's younger, better, and from rumors can play a little safety.

Nelson I think makes it. His familiarity with Guenthers system as a safety net. I don't think he would make it if the staff was confident in our starting safeties. I like Luani and he may have potential. But I don't think he's done enough to make the roster this year. He is good on special teams but without flashes on D, I don't think they can fit him in. Harris overtook him. Again, if there was more confidence in our starting safeties I believe Luani would make it over Nelson.

Lee has played well but I also think Johnson makes it no doubt. Mainly because of the LB composition. Similar to LB. Whitehead is the only one with significant starting experience. The others are STers (Wilber, Lamur) or inexperienced (Lee, Morrow, Cowser). Not enough you guys have stepped up to push him off the roster imo.

But I get you on the ST concerns. A lot of these guys are vital in that regard. Not ideal to have too many older vets as back ups if they offer no ST value. What likely would happen is more starters/rotational players playing double duty on STs. ie Lee, Morrow, Calhoun, Harris

Yeah fair points especially on the bolded.

I just think that we would have too many older guys not contributing enough to make them worth a roster spot. Nelson over a Luani or Hall over Hamilton I don’t see happening especially when cost is factored in as well. We could save $2m on cutting those 2. Add in Johnson and Giacomini and you have another $4m saved. Given that it looks like we can’t trade Roberts looks like we are going to have to swallow his salary which isn’t ideal when we have Mack wanting a deal. 

On 8/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, Humble_Beast said:

I think Luani could be just as good on special teams... I mean Erik Harris 5 tackles in 2017 makes him a roster lock. I wouldn't lose sleep either way. Luani had the hit of the week against LA. Came up and laid the wood on that back

What Harris did in 2017 means nothing. He's developed in this system under the new staff. And tackles on STs are not a marker of how good a player is. 

Bryant and cooper have speed. Ateman may fill a need we don't have. 

Oline and Lbs will be of concern. I'd lile to sign one of the good safeties left on market to ease concerns but doesn't look likely.

If conley, Melvin stay healthy our cbs should be improved once season moves aslong.

Archived