2018 Depth Chart...How do you see it?

Humble_Beast

6 minutes ago, daineraider said:

He looks good in his highlights??  I would hope so.

Lafell isnt what he once was but i'd have to say he'll at least be stiff competition. I see Roberts being our new Jerry Porter(in regards to how much Chucky will come to loathe him)

On 8/30/2018 at 11:02 PM, Humble_Beast said:

CB: Melvin, Conely, Nelson, DRC, Wright (5)

Vic said that Worley and DRC would be the starters at CB but considering Worley is suspended it'll probably be Conley. Melvin was getting picked on during the GB game and played against the Seahawks in the final preseason game.

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Vic said that Worley and DRC would be the starters at CB but considering Worley is suspended it'll probably be Conley. Melvin was getting picked on during the GB game and played against the Seahawks in the final preseason game.

Vic also said Mack wasn’t getting traded so his view on who will be starters should be taken with little confidence at this point.

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think DRC will be in 3CB sets. Beyond that is a mystery. I'm hoping Nelson steps up this year as well.

I’d like to think it’s going to be Conley & Melvin with DRC at #3 initially witj Nelson hopefully getting more playing time as the season wears on. Not sure where Leon Hall fits though, #5 CB that doesn’t play STs? 

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I’d like to think it’s going to be Conley & Melvin with DRC at #3 initially witj Nelson hopefully getting more playing time as the season wears on. Not sure where Leon Hall fits though, #5 CB that doesn’t play STs? 

I haven't seen him play in a long time. I'm thinking he's washed, but he seems smart and will mainly be off the field anyways. He's a vet in the CB room IMO.

26 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Hester cut and we brought in Brian Price. Kinda looks like Gruden is picking off Reggies picks to make his drafts look even worse.

How do young players develop under this kind of regime?

They don’t. This is a soft reboot, some guys are staying like Carr but people who don’t have that price tag are getting the boot. 

Gruden’s picks will get the chance to develop every one else is sure out of luck. 

16 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

They don’t. This is a soft reboot, some guys are staying like Carr but people who don’t have that price tag are getting the boot. 

Gruden’s picks will get the chance to develop every one else is sure out of luck. 

Or.... they can perform? Develop? How long can you wait for a guy to show some sign that he is of NFL quality? We have games to play here, someone has to play in those games and make actual plays to win them.

Hester, Holton, Ward, Sharpe, the other Reggie guys cut, none of them performed on a level that made any of them less expendable than another guy that can be signed off the street. There are plenty of Reggie picks that are here and playing. They earned that spot. Even more of Reggie's picks could easily have been cut. 

I don't even care for using the words "Reggie's picks". I don't even really know how to assess which picks were his, which were guys Allen, or Del Rio, or Norton or anyone else stumped for. 

Of all the things Gruden is doing that I disagree with, dumping underperforming non essential players of no distinction like Hester and Holton is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Hester cut and we brought in Brian Price. Kinda looks like Gruden is picking off Reggies picks to make his drafts look even worse.

I thought Hester looked pretty decent for us and outplayed his draft status. Not sure a guy with Price’s credentials will be any upgrade but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Some of these changes seem to be changes for changes sake...........

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Should be telling none of them are producing elsewhere no?

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Should be telling none of them are producing elsewhere no?

Exactly. In terms of ability to perform these guys are indistinct from the guys brought in to replace them. Age doesn't matter in this case, because sucking at 22 or being average at 32 doesn't really change your team much. It's astoundingly unlikely Gruden would release a truly promising young player on the sole basis that he wants someone older and crappier. At least the 32 year old vet can get in a game in a pinch and not mess up so bad that it contributes to a loss. 

Brian Price is a 1t, maybe the staff feels Hall can be more of a 3t. Makes sense to me, he doesn't seem to share much in common with Ellis as a player, and didn't look amazing against double teams. Nor is he a huge presence for the middle of a D. So Hester is redundant there. There's nothing wrong with Gruden stopping the madness of the miscast, misfit, poorly defined roles of past regimes. Put the good players where they belong, trash or replace the rest until you have functional units.

Holton was awful. Lafell replacing him is a non story. If Gruden thinks Ateman isn't ready for anything then that is fine. He's better off on the PS. It's not as if he tore up preseason. He looked ok, but going unclaimed says something too.

Ward, nothing need be said. Produced nothing here or elsewhere.

Edwards, waste of space outplayed by every single DT in this preseason. Hasn't done a thing in years now.

Obi, did nothing whatsoever in his time here, at any point.

Sharpe, inconsistent on his best day, Silberman same.

Cook, 3 years in and still terribly inconsistent with limited to no promise.

Hamilton, McDonald, inconsistent and outmatched at best. 

And so on..

The guys who have shown some actual potential ability to perform are the ones that are still here. Nothing here looks like Gruden trying to wreck Reggie's drafts. The players released and moved out were in fact crap. It's just Raider fans are addicted to promise and potential and blinded to clear and constant on field underperformance. Like someone who constantly shops for new cheap shiny junk. Still junk. 

Archived