2018 Depth Chart...How do you see it?

Humble_Beast

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I have some DHB highlights where he looks good too.  Want to see them? SMH

I really don't understand your point of view here. I don't think anyone is trying to call LaFell a stud but merely someone that can contribute as a role player. Which is exactly what he's been his whole career. I don't get why anyone would belly ache about that apart from looking for reasons to complain. This is what happens when your coach pukes out a 3rd round pick on an unreliable waste of talent at WR without a backup plan. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Should be telling none of them are producing elsewhere no?

How can you even discern that though? Most of the moves have come in Training Camp. Not enough time to tell.

It does seem like Gruden is trying to force Reggie out to a certain extent though. Beat writers are playing it up more than it is though imo. He did throw him under the bus a bit but I think it isn't as malicious as they make it out to be @Dessie

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I thought Hester looked pretty decent for us and outplayed his draft status. Not sure a guy with Price’s credentials will be any upgrade but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Some of these changes seem to be changes for changes sake...........

Exactly especially as Gruden was quick to mention the draft classes in the press conference. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I thought Hester looked pretty decent for us and outplayed his draft status. Not sure a guy with Price’s credentials will be any upgrade but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Some of these changes seem to be changes for changes sake...........

Hester was a smaller, pass rushing DT in a similar mold to PJ and Hurst. He wasn't going to play ahead of those guys. Price seems to be a run stuffer and will backup Jelly and play in goal-line situations.

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I really don't understand your point of view here. I don't think anyone is trying to call LaFell a stud but merely someone that can contribute as a role player. Which is exactly what he's been his whole career. I don't get why anyone would belly ache about that apart from looking for reasons to complain. This is what happens when your coach pukes out a 3rd round pick on an unreliable waste of talent at WR without a backup plan. 

I completely agree and am salty about losing a 3rd round pick and more importantly that that one of the most physically gifted WR's in the NFL.  Being stoked for the signing or calling him a legit number 3 WR is similar to calling James Jones a legit 1 when he was with us.  Jones was technically a 1 but we all know the dude had no business being a top 3 on almost any other NFL roster.  Slotting BL in as our 3 and our 3 should see a lot of playing time, is like trying to patch a hole on the Titanic with bubble gum.  Lafell is a cast off, career journeyman who is a warm body.  If he sees significant playing time our offense is in some serious trouble.   

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I completely agree and am salty about losing a 3rd round pick and more importantly that that one of the most physically gifted WR's in the NFL.  Being stoked for the signing or calling him a legit number 3 WR is similar to calling James Jones a legit 1 when he was with us.  Jones was technically a 1 but we all know the dude had no business being a top 3 on almost any other NFL roster.  Slotting BL in as our 3 and our 3 should see a lot of playing time, is like trying to patch a hole on the Titanic with bubble gum.  Lafell is a cast off, career journeyman who is a warm body.  If he sees significant playing time our offense is in some serious trouble.   

Nope you haven't given a single shred of evidence about this. You said he wasn't as good as the 8 receivers on the team. Bengals fans, beat writers, and his teammates have not indicated anything like this. There were young 1st and 2nd round picks pushing him out. His agent asked for his release.

His career averages are good for a #3 wide receiver. That's besides the point because he's produced more than Seth, who would be our #3. Do you think Roberts is better than Lafell? If you don't, what is the problem in signing him.

And don't keep throwing in buzzwords like "castoff, career journeyman, warm body" like they mean anything. You're unable to provide evidence and are being ridiculously extreme. What do you mean our offense "will be in serious trouble" if he sees playing time. He'll be the 4th target at best after Amari, Jordy, and Cook. You're worried about our offense being in serious trouble if Lafell is our 4th pass catching option?

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The team just announced the official depth chart for the Rams game. 

DmRle2KVAAACyws.jpg

Loving that Gilchrist and Joseph starting at safety, and Melvin and Conley on the outside with Leon Hall in the slot to start. Still hate that Lamur gets playing time but as is life.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Nope you haven't given a single shred of evidence about this. You said he wasn't as good as the 8 receivers on the team. Bengals fans, beat writers, and his teammates have not indicated anything like this. There were young 1st and 2nd round picks pushing him out. His agent asked for his release.

His career averages are good for a #3 wide receiver. That's besides the point because he's produced more than Seth, who would be our #3. Do you think Roberts is better than Lafell? If you don't, what is the problem in signing him.

And don't keep throwing in buzzwords like "castoff, career journeyman, warm body" like they mean anything. You're unable to provide evidence and are being ridiculously extreme. What do you mean our offense "will be in serious trouble" if he sees playing time. He'll be the 4th target at best after Amari, Jordy, and Cook. You're worried about our offense being in serious trouble if Lafell is our 4th pass catching option?

I've given you career average numbers which are beyond pedestrian for his 8 year career.  650 and 3.5 TD's per year.  What more evidence do you need than those numbers?  I think they speak volumes about what type of player he is.  Now let the excuses begin, you've been great at blaming others for Coopers lack of production now let's start to hear the excuses as to why BL has career numbers like I've posted.  

So what you're telling me is that the 8 other WR's were 1st and 2nd rounders which I'm not buying that but am too lazy to research it.  Talent is talent and if the Bengals thought he could help them win games he'd still be on their roster.  It's not like he had some ridiculous bloated contract.  They flat out didn't think he was talented enough to make their team which is what happens when you're a career journeyman who is on the downside of his career at 31. 

What I mean by saying that our O will be in serious trouble if he sees some serious playing time indicates that none of the younger guys have stepped up and we are filling a hole with duct tape.  We are in scramble mode since MB was cut, the coaching staff was counting on MB being a major contributor when they traded for him and throughout camp.  Seth Roberts is also garbage which doesn't speak well about our WR depth at all.

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've given you career average numbers which are beyond pedestrian for his 8 year career.  650 and 3.5 TD's per year.  What more evidence do you need than those numbers?  I think they speak volumes about what type of player he is.  Now let the excuses begin, you've been great at blaming others for Coopers lack of production now let's start to hear the excuses as to why BL has career numbers like I've posted.  

So what you're telling me is that the 8 other WR's were 1st and 2nd rounders which I'm not buying that but am too lazy to research it.  Talent is talent and if the Bengals thought he could help them win games he'd still be on their roster.  It's not like he had some ridiculous bloated contract.  They flat out didn't think he was talented enough to make their team which is what happens when you're a career journeyman who is on the downside of his career at 31. 

What I mean by saying that our O will be in serious trouble if he sees some serious playing time indicates that none of the younger guys have stepped up and we are filling a hole with duct tape.  We are in scramble mode since MB was cut, the coaching staff was counting on MB being a major contributor when they traded for him and throughout camp.  Seth Roberts is also garbage which doesn't speak well about our WR depth at all.

Yep Roberts is garbage so we sign a solid vet to fill the role. Yes it was a cap space releasing move. You don't keep a 31 year old WR for depth. They're rolling with youth. Happens all the time. 

Lafell is a career low end 2/high end 3. That explains his career numbers. They're pretty decent for that role and that's what we're looking for. It's a smart move. You'll see.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yep Roberts is garbage so we sign a solid vet to fill the role. Yes it was a cap space releasing move. You don't keep a 31 year old WR for depth. They're rolling with youth. Happens all the time. 

Lafell is a career low end 2/high end 3. That explains his career numbers. They're pretty decent for that role and that's what we're looking for. It's a smart move. You'll see.

We have Brandon Lafell, Super bowl here we come! SMH  I'm sure we were fighting many teams to retain his services because he's such a hot commodity. 

You keep a 31 year old WR for depth if he is good, will contribute and help your team win games.  Apparently they thought the 8 other WR's they kept would contribute more and help them win more games, that is why he was cut. 

The Bengals have 20 million in remaining cap space according to sportrac, the 7th most amount of cap space remaining for any team and a 53 man roster filled out.  Explain to me how this was a cap related move?  It infuriates me when people make comments they assume are facts when they have done zero research, have little to zero football knowledge or how caps work.  It is truly remarkable and angers me because I spend time looking up trash like the Bengals salary cap numbers just to prove a point.    

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We have Brandon Lafell, Super bowl here we come! SMH  I'm sure we were fighting many teams to retain his services because he's such a hot commodity. 

You keep a 31 year old WR for depth if he is good, will contribute and help your team win games.  Apparently they thought the 8 other WR's they kept would contribute more and help them win more games, that is why he was cut. 

The Bengals have 20 million in remaining cap space according to sportrac, the 7th most amount of cap space remaining for any team and a 53 man roster filled out.  Explain to me how this was a cap related move?  It infuriates me when people make comments they assume are facts when they have done zero research, have little to zero football knowledge or how caps work.  It is truly remarkable and angers me because I spend time looking up trash like the Bengals salary cap numbers just to prove a point.    

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

He wasn't going to see meaningful reps for them. He doesn't have a lot of dead money so you move on. It's commonly done.

Ask Bengals fans. It "truly angers you"? Give me a break.

I literally explained that he's a low end 2/high end 3 statistically and you're acting like I said he's some kind of savior. He can help us win as a role player. What's so bad about that. You seem to be looking for a reason to be negative.

Here's why they cut him. Unless the source is wrong too.

It saves them cap space in future years on his deal. He signed an extension and clearly they no longer need his services. Why pay 3 million for a WR who won't get meaningful snaps, when you have cheap rookies on similar length deals, who may have more upside based on being younger and career trajectory. He doesn't have to be worse than those 8. He just has to have a less valuable combination of value and youthful upside. Which he does due to his age and his bloated contract for a non-starter.

Hence signing him for cheap is a good move on our end. No risk and he can help us.

Archived