2018 Depth Chart...How do you see it?

Humble_Beast

3 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Yeah, they talked that up at first but thankfully came to their senses. He's not a nose. He's a stout 3T from what I saw/see. With some flexibility to play along side Hurst on passing downs. It's a better group as far as roles with Price here instead of Hester. On paper.

Agree with your thoughts about Hall playing 3T but TBH I don't know enough about Price to know if he's an upgrade over Hester.

Just now, Darbsk said:

Agree with your thoughts about Hall playing 3T but TBH I don't know enough about Price to know if he's an upgrade over Hester.

Well, that's an easy one. Hester is an inconsistent replaceable player at best. And the 3rd 3T on the depth chart where there's only one mediocre nose. Bad fit, non descript player. Upgrade? As if Hester is good. It's a sidegrade. You can do those all day long on the waiver wire. At least the roles look better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

There have been so many ins and outs, benchings, trades and cuts does Jon Gruden even know the depth chart at this point?!?!?

Just lends more evidence to the argument that there seems to be no general direction.

Like our moves the past week. Our pass rush is the worst in the league and it's supposedly clear we're tanking. So we cut Irvin and sign 2 situational pass rushers? I dont get why if we're tanking.

11 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Just lends more evidence to the argument that there seems to be no general direction.

Like our moves the past week. Our pass rush is the worst in the league and it's supposedly clear we're tanking. So we cut Irvin and sign 2 situational pass rushers? I dont get why if we're tanking.

Its possible that we're just inept. Crazy thought, I know. ?

2 hours ago, true2form said:

Or he's bringing in guys who actually are going to try and are hungry to play and have jobs. Nah

right we need guys who buy into the program. Ealy is still young, and J Smith in his prime.... our pass rush worst in the league, I don't mind trying out two guys under 30 for the rest of the year

5 hours ago, true2form said:

Or he's bringing in guys who actually are going to try and are hungry to play and have jobs. Nah

If your vets (Captains no less) aren't trying and aren't hungry to play and have jobs halfway through the season, is that not inept?

Not even hating, I've just never seen a team turn on a coach this quickly

4 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

If your vets (Captains no less) aren't trying and aren't hungry to play and have jobs halfway through the season, is that not inept?

Not even hating, I've just never seen a team turn on a coach this quickly

Eh I think a lot of them know they won't be here next year because they aren't good enough. They should play hard for auditioning for the league. If they want to cry and give up, it reflects badly on them as players and professionals. I don't care who your head coach is. If you give up, you're worthless.

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Eh I think a lot of them know they won't be here next year because they aren't good enough. They should play hard for auditioning for the league. If they want to cry and give up, it reflects badly on them as players and professionals. I don't care who your head coach is. If you give up, you're worthless.

I don't disagree but you need your team to be motivated. Its not all on the staff, but you can't deny they're a big reason for the lack of morale. To some extent I can't blame the players for not being enthusiastic. But on game day, you be a pro and come to play ball.

9 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I don't disagree but you need your team to be motivated. Its not all on the staff, but you can't deny they're a big reason for the lack of morale. To some extent I can't blame the players for not being enthusiastic. But on game day, you be a pro and come to play ball.

And maybe that's the difference for me.  I'm coming at it from a team standpoint, not a players.  I think Carr even said in one of his pressers that they're finding out who is really a "Raider". 

The players either want to be there and be a part of building something or they don't.  Gruden and the staff see who is who.  Might explain some of the benching's, lack of play time, retirements, etc.  The vets thought they had a chance to win(didn't we all).  Things went south fast, so why not go all in on building this thing from the ground up?

I understand why the vets wouldn't be happy.  Unfortunately for them, this is not about them at all. They are stopgaps. Means to an end. I'm sure Gruden sold them on coming to the Raiders and helping them win.  I'm sure everyone was optimistic in the offseason. Doesn't mean Gruden lied to them.  Things just didn't work out and this season is over.

11 hours ago, true2form said:

And maybe that's the difference for me.  I'm coming at it from a team standpoint, not a players.  I think Carr even said in one of his pressers that they're finding out who is really a "Raider". 

The players either want to be there and be a part of building something or they don't.  Gruden and the staff see who is who.  Might explain some of the benching's, lack of play time, retirements, etc.  The vets thought they had a chance to win(didn't we all).  Things went south fast, so why not go all in on building this thing from the ground up?

I understand why the vets wouldn't be happy.  Unfortunately for them, this is not about them at all. They are stopgaps. Means to an end. I'm sure Gruden sold them on coming to the Raiders and helping them win.  I'm sure everyone was optimistic in the offseason. Doesn't mean Gruden lied to them.  Things just didn't work out and this season is over.

I can see that part if it as well, you bring up good points. I'll counter and say that part of the reason vets are so unhappy is not just lack of success, but the systematic dismantling of the roster DURING the season. This truly is something special. What he said to them previously is irrelevant, the current perceived lack of both accountability and coherent roster strategy would draw the ire of many players. Sure you can look at it with Silver & Black shades as a fan, but this is their job and life. The fact that he completely mismanaged the team this offseason (blatantly evidenced by conflicting courses of action between offseason and regular season) has totally constructed the dumpster fire that is our current situation. I can't remember ever seeing a team shuffling players in and out like this week by week. It can be perceived that we don't know what we're doing. Because I can't accept that this was the vision the whole time -- there's been so many drastic twist and turns. In the end, I'm a Raider fan and I want this to work out. But it sure looks to me like our organization screwed up big time this year. We're in a position to rebound, thankfully, but based on this past year, its hard to have a lot of confidence or faith going forward regardless of if you're a fan or player. Let's see how this thing plays out.

Good debate, man. Thanks for not being hostile.I should have been more chill earlier. 👊

I figured since a lot of the conversation has moved to the off-season I would do a quick mock of the off-season.  Now a lot will change in the coming months I believe the draft will look a lot different.  Thhis is just a quick one to show how different this team can and most likely will look next year.  Our draft capital and cap space are unreal if we cut some dead weight or players that do not fit our scheme.  There will also be a few talented players cut because they will lose faith in Gruden.  The FA players values are averages of contracts and the draft slot pay is based on 2018 so they will be a little more expensive.  I also kept Carr on the team and we will need to sign a few more players.  Have fun and discuss.

Signed or restructured    
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB 12000000
Ronald Darby CB 10000000
Earl Thomas S 10000000
Brandon Graham EDGE 9000000
Jared Veldheer OT 8500000
Frank Clark EDGE 6500000
John Brown WR 6500000
C.J. Mosley LB 6000000
Chris Hogan WR 6000000
Adam Humphries WR 6000000
Rashaan Melvin CB 5500000