2018 Depth Chart...How do you see it?

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He is sadly our third, maybe second, best receiving threat on this roster. I like what I have seen from him and he could be a very solid #4 WR going forward. I don't think he is going to be a regular starter during his career.

This. Maybe Andre Holmes quality if we're lucky.

if you think about it, been a very good rookie class

• Kolton Miller- has been a mountain of a man.... played through injury like a warrior... Plays at a premium position LT not RT like the 49ers rookie
  • PJ Hall- has flashed potential of penetrating.... slowed down by injury..... looks like he belongs, was raw coming from a small school
  • Arden Key- doesn't have great numbers, but been asked to do a lot fo a rookie....a lot of pressures, very close to having 4-5 sacks... raw needed to bulk up, asked to play a lot more with Mack trade.... good pick in the 3rd
  • Brandon Parker-- maybe a reach, has looked really raw..... probably been the worst pick, needed a redshirt year coming from a small school
  • Nick Nelson- eased into playing time, coming off a major injury in the offseason... Already the dime back, and should be a lot stronger next year with more time away from injury. Upgrade and cheaper Carrie
  • Maurice Hurst- hit a home run here... Should make 1st team all rookie on defense, has 4-5 sacks... shown he can generate pressure, needs to keep getting stronger.. could blossom into a long term starter, already a good rotation DT
  • Johnny Townsend- horrible to start the season... could have been cut, and nobody would have blinked an eye.. finally had a great game, let's see how he finishes the season....will be in the mix in the offseason
  • Azeem Victor- didn't make it through camp...6th round but bad pick... prolly didn't want it bad enough, had questions with his character coming in 
  • Marcel Ateman- had been making plays.... Slow but looks like he can have a role of a big possession wideout in the NFL.... good value in the 7th

Undrafted/Pickups

• Daniel Carson- he has been lights out as a kicker.... Had a bad game on Vikings, but adjusted his technique and could be a long term starter
  • Chris Warren- looked like one of the best players in preseason. put on IR before he got a shot in real games
  • Eddy Pineiro- was looking the part of starting kicker until he was put on IR.. should be an interesting battle for Kicking spot next offseason
  • Trent Seig- has not been noticed by anyone, which is actually a great thing. He has been lights out as Long Snapper.. Will be long term starter and cheaper than vet
  • Montreal Meander- might be fodder, but coaches think enough of him to put on the roster
  • Jason Cabinda- has been making plays in the league... could provide depth down the road for the LB unit

16 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

if you think about it, been a very good rookie class

• Azeem Victor- didn't make it through camp...6th round but bad pick... prolly didn't want it bad enough, had questions with his character coming in 
  •  
  • Undrafted/Pickups
  • Jason Cabinda- has been making plays in the league... could provide depth down the road for the LB unit

I was disappointed about Victor, I thought he was going to be a gem. I think it's possible that they had a plan to bring in both Victor and Cabinda to compete, but drafted Victor thinking he was the one that was more likely to be drafted. Through that lens, I'm ok with the pick cause I consider it to basically just be Cabinda. 

These are the key bubble guys this offseason:

Kelechi Osemele: He's had an up and down season. The offensive didn't seem to miss a beat when he was out last game. He's scheduled to make over $10 million next season with no dead cap penalty if he's cut.

Jordy Nelson: He has found a role as an underneath receiver that Carr seems to trust, but it seems he has virtually no explosive left. At over $7 million next season with no penalty, I think the team can do better.

Seth Roberts: Roberts, if nothing else, is the model of consistency when it comes to mediocrity. Carr, sometimes to his detriment, seems to trust Roberts in big situations and Roberts has been able to cash in every so often. He's scheduled to make over $4 million next year with no penalty if he's cut.

Tahir Whitehead: He was brought in to be an anchor at linebacker and he actually has been that to a degree over the past few games. I don't necessarily think he's that much better than Jason Cabinda or Marquel Lee, but he also plays virtually every down. He's scheduled to earn just over $6 million next year with no dead cap penalty, but I think I keep him on and see if the draft falls the Raiders' way at linebacker.

Gabe Jackson: Like Whitehead, Jackson has been one of the better players contributing to the Raiders' competitiveness over the past few games. Next year he's scheduled to make $7 million, which is manageable.

42 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Kelechi Osemele: He's had an up and down season. The offensive didn't seem to miss a beat when he was out last game. He's scheduled to make over $10 million next season with no dead cap penalty if he's cut.

Jordy Nelson: He has found a role as an underneath receiver that Carr seems to trust, but it seems he has virtually no explosive left. At over $7 million next season with no penalty, I think the team can do better.

Seth Roberts: Roberts, if nothing else, is the model of consistency when it comes to mediocrity. Carr, sometimes to his detriment, seems to trust Roberts in big situations and Roberts has been able to cash in every so often. He's scheduled to make over $4 million next year with no penalty if he's cut.

Tahir Whitehead: He was brought in to be an anchor at linebacker and he actually has been that to a degree over the past few games. I don't necessarily think he's that much better than Jason Cabinda or Marquel Lee, but he also plays virtually every down. He's scheduled to earn just over $6 million next year with no dead cap penalty, but I think I keep him on and see if the draft falls the Raiders' way at linebacker.

Gabe Jackson: Like Whitehead, Jackson has been one of the better players contributing to the Raiders' competitiveness over the past few games. Next year he's scheduled to make $7 million, which is manageable.

Looking at the cap space, keep KO and Jackson while hopefully scrapping Cable and starting fresh with that group. Nelson, easy cut. Roberts, cut him. You can replace his production for cheaper. 

Whitehead, keep him and upgrade the unit around him. He's a role player who is best on a bad unit. Fix the unit, he can just play his role. 

46 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I really hope we fire Cable instead of getting rid of KO and Jackson... They been playing injured and bad scheme fit... why create more holes to a team with a lot of them.....Jordy be interesting to see how he finish the season.. wouldn't lose sleep if we cut him, he's going keep going downhill. Roberts overpaid, easy cut.... Whitehead been playing a lot better as of late.... Know he caught a TD but Carrier overpaid .. Depaulo the long snapper overpaid too, the rookie been solid for a fraction of the price

Roberts has to go when he's due that salary.

I actually don't mind him. He has his fairly regular drops, but has also come up big for us on crucial plays over the years. As a 4th WR on the roster he's a solid option, but he just shouldn't be making that kind of money.

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I really hope we fire Cable instead of getting rid of KO and Jackson... They been playing injured and bad scheme fit... why create more holes to a team with a lot of them.....Jordy be interesting to see how he finish the season.. wouldn't lose sleep if we cut him, he's going keep going downhill. Roberts overpaid, easy cut.... Whitehead been playing a lot better as of late.... Know he caught a TD but Carrier overpaid .. Depaulo the long snapper overpaid too, the rookie been solid for a fraction of the price

I am all for cutting anyone I can replace for cheaper, if production does not drop off to much, especially if I can get more production out of them.  Getting rid of Cable is almost a certainty unless the unit starts playing lights out.  I think we could spend less on the Guards and move money somewhere else.  If I have to use a 3rd or 4th on a guard so I can cut Jackson for extra cap to sign a difference maker on defense I am all for it.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

but we have like 100m in space space without cutting Jackson or KO... I highly doubt we are going to be on a HUGE free agent spree when we don't even have a home.... We actually just need to sign 5-6 free agents and draft wisely... need to develop our youth

I actually agree with this, except, don't we have to spend a certain amount? 

2 hours ago, Totty said:

I actually agree with this, except, don't we have to spend a certain amount? 

The Raider absolutely do have to spend money as mandated by the CBA. It's why they had to pay average players a ton of money a few years ago. It's what the niners did too. Its going to be hard to bring guys in when they don't even know where they are going to play though.

^It'll definitely effect any short-term signings, yeah. If you're getting approached to sign a one-year deal and you don't even know where you're going to be based in that one season, that's a major turn off.

If it's guys we're chucking a wedge at for a few years, it probably won't make much difference. Even if there's uncertainty in 2019, they know they've got Vegas and all its tax benefits from 2020 onwards.

On 12/14/2018 at 1:20 PM, drfrey13 said:

I am all for cutting anyone I can replace for cheaper, if production does not drop off to much, especially if I can get more production out of them.  Getting rid of Cable is almost a certainty unless the unit starts playing lights out.  I think we could spend less on the Guards and move money somewhere else.  If I have to use a 3rd or 4th on a guard so I can cut Jackson for extra cap to sign a difference maker on defense I am all for it.

With 90+ million in cap space  next year I think we should postpone cutting them until the following year.

There’s only so many good FAs you can pick up in one year.

Archived