2018 Depth Chart...How do you see it?

Humble_Beast

5 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

With 90+ million in cap space  next year I think we should postpone cutting them until the following year.

There’s only so many good FAs you can pick up in one year.

Why does everyone keep saying how much cap space we have.  It does not matter how much space you have.  If the move makes the team better in the end you make the move.  Why pay more for a player that is going to play worse.  If I can draft a guard in the 4th that will produce as much as Jackson and it allows me to sign a top DE in FA then I do it.  If I believe I can not improve the team by cutting Jackson then I do not.  So step 1 is this player as good or better than the current player for less money?  Yes make move, No move to step 2.  Step 2, does the allow for other signings that on a whole make the team better?  Drafted player + high priced FA signing > different drafted player + Jackson + lesser FA?  Yes make move, No keep Jackson.

26 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Why does everyone keep saying how much cap space we have.  It does not matter how much space you have.  If the move makes the team better in the end you make the move.  Why pay more for a player that is going to play worse.  If I can draft a guard in the 4th that will produce as much as Jackson and it allows me to sign a top DE in FA then I do it.  If I believe I can not improve the team by cutting Jackson then I do not.  So step 1 is this player as good or better than the current player for less money?  Yes make move, No move to step 2.  Step 2, does the allow for other signings that on a whole make the team better?  Drafted player + high priced FA signing > different drafted player + Jackson + lesser FA?  Yes make move, No keep Jackson.

The reason I brought up the Cap money is that the Raiders can sign 10+ players with that much money.

There’s only so many quality players what are you going to do sign anyone?

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

It’s a stretch to say you can just draft a replacement or sign a guy for less money. No one knows how things will play out. The Raiders tried to do that earlier this year with the RT spot and look at the mess they are in now. Jackson is a good to great LG he’s an average to below average RG. Personally i don’t think the Raiders should cut him at this point unless there’s an osemele type out there. 

23 hours ago, Chali21 said:

It’s a stretch to say you can just draft a replacement or sign a guy for less money. No one knows how things will play out. The Raiders tried to do that earlier this year with the RT spot and look at the mess they are in now. Jackson is a good to great LG he’s an average to below average RG. Personally i don’t think the Raiders should cut him at this point unless there’s an osemele type out there. 

Then why not cut KO or move him to T.  A replacement RG would be much easier and cheaper to get.  The right side of our line is playing out of position and we all know it.  So why pay an above average LG top money to suck on the right side.  We should keep him because he is good to great on the left side even though we are not going to play him there?

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Then why not cut KO or move him to T.  A replacement RG would be much easier and cheaper to get.  The right side of our line is playing out of position and we all know it.  So why pay an above average LG top money to suck on the right side.  We should keep him because he is good to great on the left side even though we are not going to play him there?

Because KO is an all pro LG and a good LT. IDK the line is a total mess.

Key is actually playing well. I'm really happy with him. He's getting so close. Give him an offseason and some time in the weight room... He'll get there. 

I bet my balls that Guenther had a big role in choosing him, as he did in hurst.

That's why I trust Gruden's evals this time around. His defensive coordinator is in his ear giving him input. He respects guenther enough to let him help pick the players and it seems to be paying off. They could easily be our 2 best non-mack DL in the mckenzie era and they were taken late day 2 onward. Promising signs.

our defense isn't in that bad shape....

• I personally like our corners..... Conely, Worely, and Nelson are solid pieces maybe add another guy or bring Melvin Back
  • Karl Joseph is now playing a role suited for him, and been making plays
  • Marquel Lee and Whitehead are good starters
  • Key been getting pressures, need to bulk up a bit and experience
  • Hall has been disruptive, Hurst was a steal

we be looking a lot better with

• development
  • 2 DE(improve pass rush)
  • MLB
  • S. 

Which is all obtainable this offseason

On 12/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, Chali21 said:

Because KO is an all pro LG and a good LT. IDK the line is a total mess.

I understand that and I would definitely keep KO over Jackson but they need to figure out a way to make it work while getting value.  Find a spot Jackson's play is worth his contract or get rid of him (trade or cut).  Would you keep the two best QBs in the league if they are both getting $25 million plus a year?  Move one to WR even though he sucks there and justify keeping him because he is a great QB when you know you are not going to move him back?  For what Jackson is getting paid could you sign a RG that would be better on our O-line?  If keeping him makes us a better team then do it.  If getting rid of him makes us a better team then do it.  I personally believe that we have to much invested in the interior and could improve with him gone.  I would take that money and put it towards one of the top DEs or a RT.  I think the only thing that saves him is that his cost is only $7 million next year.

• 4 weeks later...

little something I wrote earlier in the week.. don't want it to get lost

With close to 75M in cap space going into the offseason, feel free to breakdown, tear this post apart, suggest players:

My free agent list-

RB: 

a few starting RBs hitting the market, a couple good back who can add depth(left out RFA)-

• Levon Bell(27)- Elite top 5 back. He is going to get paid big bucks by someone 
  • Mark Ingram(29)- getting close to 30, but might leave Saints to get paid and more carriers.. I would sign him on 2-3 year deal but no monster contract
  • Tevin Coleman(26) - didn't do much when Freeman went down. I'll just sign him to a year prove it deal.. wouldn't throw big money at him
  • TJ Yeldon(25) - guy I really want us to look at, stuck behind Fournette. coming off the best season of his career. Can run, and good pass catcher.. Hitting his prime
  • Marshawn Lynch(33)- looked good when healthy, but got hurt. Peterson,and Gore still getting the job done. Could leave to contender or retire
  • Tay Murray(29)- stuck as number 2 back with Vikings. Wants to be a starter again

guys who could add depth or fill a role-

• CJ Anderson (28) - really solid for the Rams towards the end of the season
  • Spencer Ware(27)- KC signed Damien Williams over him. Former starting KC Back
  • Doug Martin(30)- hamster still good depth
  • Bilan Powell(30)-  a good passing back, could bring competition to Richard
  • Mike Davis(26)- played really solid for Seahawks, could be off man out with Carson and Rashad Penny. Solid Running back

FB: 

could upgrade over Kevin Smith with a few guys-

• Mike Burton(27)- elite running backing FB..We should try to poach the Bears any chance we get
  • Anthony Sherman(30)- only other FB of note.... stud run blocker, special teamer, and better ball skills than K Smith

WR:

no number 1 WRs, market has more WR2/Slot-

• Golden Tate(31)- top WR on market, probably looking for last payday... Not sure his is worth it
  • John Brown(29)- deep threat, but has a history of injuries 
  • Adam Humphries(26)- tore it up this season. Bucs might release Desean Jackson and ink Adam.. Perfect Slot
  • Jamison Crowder(26)- has talent to be a solid slot, but he is coming off an injury riddled 2018. Could be a good buy low, went to Duke(smart WR)
  • Tyrell Williams(27)- 6'4 with deep speed, might leave LA to get paid

guys who could be camp invites with the hope they surprise and make plays(cheap depth)-

• Kelvin Benjamin(28) 
  • Donte Moncrief(26)
  • Breshad Perriman(26)- played well to end the season for Browns, deep speed
  • Devin Funches(25)
  • Ryan Grant(28) - good in the slot
  • Bruce Ellington(28)- see above, more injury risk
  • Jermaine Kearse(29)
  • Chris Conely(27)
  • Martavis Bryant(27)
  • Phillip Dorsett(26)- a burner, modern day James Jett
  • Kevin White(27)

TE: 

Cook could walk for a major pay day, would like to sign Cook on a 2year deal-

• Eric Ebron(26)- going get paid big, after a monster 2018 year
  • Tyler Eifert(28)- has talent, but too injury prone

RT:  

we can agree Brandon Parker is a project-

• Ja'Wan James(27) - starting RT from Dolphins looking to get paid
  • Daryl Williams(27)- starting tackle from Panthers set to hit the market... 
  • Bobby Massie(30)- starting RT from the Bears, would be another chance to poach the Bears.. Could be a good stopgap to see if Brandon Parker develops
  • George Fant(26)- ties to Cable, maybe ready to handle being a RT?
  • Matt Feiler(27)- from Steelers with experience at RT
  • Ty Nsekhe(33)- old vet who played well at LT/RT. could be brought in to challenge and mentor Parker
  • Donovan Smith(26) former high pick who failed at LT, but looked better at RT
  • Cameron Fleming(26)- another experienced RT from Cowboys/Pats
  • Ty Sambrailo(26)- played well as Falcons RT
  • Seantrel Henderson(26)- starting Texans RT, missed entire season after he broke his ankle

DE:

Raiders need to improve the pass rush-

• Jadevon Clowney(26)- going to demand a lot of Benjamins
  • Demarcus Lawerence(27)- see above
  • Trey Flowers(26)- great pass rusher, Pats have been cheap in the past
  • Frank Clark(26)- great class of DEs in free agency
  • Brandon Graham(31)-
  • Preston Smith(26)- stud in all aspects
  • Ezekiel Ansah(30)-
  • Dante Fowler(25)- potential type of pickup
  • Derrick Morgan(30)-
  • Margus Hunt(32)-
  • Chris Long(34)- legacy player who has great leadership

guys who could be brought in for depth in a unit that needs pass rush(only 13 sacks in 2018)

• Randy Gregory(26)- character issues drives his value down low, but pressures the QB
  • Romeo Okwara(24)- broke out with 7 sacks last year
  • Kerry Hyder(28)- injured last year, but has had a solid career as a starter
  • Kony Ealy(27)- knows the system, he can turn it around
  • Benson Mayowa(28)- close to 5 sacks, he need more sacks
  • Dion Jordan(29)- low risk, still has untapped potential 

DT: we have Hurst and Hall as a young pair, and possibly Ellis coming back as NT. still be wise to invest in trenches, as our DL is still a weak link

Interior Stud Pass Rushers-

• Grady Jarrett(26) - doubt we land him, similar to Hurst and going to demand big money
  • David Irving(26)- Injured in 2018, but is an elite player when healthy
  • Sheldon Richardson(28)- interior pass rusher, we had chances to sign him and passed

Run Stuffers-

• John Hankins(26)- NT guys who can add depth and plug the run, maybe we can sign for value and improve the overall talent of the weak DLine
  • Christian Covington(25)- NT- see above
  • Darius Philon(25)- NT also had 4 sacks
  • Tyeler Davison(26)- NT see above

guys who can bring in cheap depth(pass rush or NT)-

• Roy Robertson Harris(26)- would also weaken the Bears! 
  • Bennie Logan- (29)
  • Domata Peko(34)- seemed to really bring it against us
  • Muhammed Wilkerson(29)
  • Henry Anderson(28)
  • Brett Urban(28)
  • Steve McLendon(33)
  • Brandon Mebane(34)
  • Zach Kerr(29)
  • Jordan Phillips(26)
  • Quinton Jefferson(26)
  • Rodney Gunter(27)
  • Dominic Easley(27)- is wrong system, a lot of potential

OLB:

we could use a starting Strongside Backer or weak side if we decided to move Whitehead to SAM

• Dee Ford(28)- coming off 13 sack season, he is going to have a huge market. From the Chiefs 
  • Zadaruis Smith(27)- looking for starting money, great at rushing the passer... maybe more of 3-4 fit
  • KJ Wright(30)- one of the best linebackers of this decade
  • Clay Matthews(33)- might be on his last legs, but I could Gruden having interest
  • Eli Harold(25)- career derailed after he started kneeling, but the man can rush the passer
  • Aaron Lynch(26)- good pass rusher, would be a good depth
  • Shane Ray(26)- former 1st rounder who hasn't lived up to the bill of being a good pass rusher. Perhaps a change of scenery would do wonders
  • Shaq Barrett(26)- has been a productive pass rusher for the Broncos
  • Anthony Barr(27)- had a down year, but has been a pro bowler for many years

MLB:

Raiders still have no long term answer at MLB

• Jordan Hicks(27)- heart and soul of the Eagles defense
  • CJ Mosely(27)- a stud for one of the best defenses in the NFL
  • Denzel Perryman(26)- had a season ending injury, but a baller when healthy 
  • Patrick Onwuasor(27)- Watching the Charger game, and man this guy can play. Stuck on a talented defense
  • Corey Littleton(25)- been a stud for the Rams all year, and they are going to have cap issues
  • Kwon Alexander(25)- has had a good career and entering his prime, injured in 2018
  • Preston Brown(26)- could come cheap, starting experience

depth-

• Jake Ryan(27)- injured last year, a great locker room guy and a Gruden guy.

CB:

Melvin might walk, Nelson is still unproven

• Ronald Darby(25)- tore his acl 
  • Steven Nelson(26)- one of the highlights of the weak Chiefs defense
  • Bryce Callahan(27)- a solid slot corner, could weaken the Bears! 
  • Pierre Desir(28)- coming off a career year
  • Rashan Melvin(29)- didn't have the best year for the Raiders
  • Darqueze Dennard(27)- knows the system, former 1st round pick
  • Justin Coleman(25)- had a good year for the Seahawks

depth- guys who have potential to compete and win a starting spot/slot

• Kayvon Webster(28)
  • EJ Gaines(27)
  • Jason Verrett(28)
  • Bashaud Breeland(27)
  • Eric Rowe(27)
  • Coty Sensabaugh(30)
  • PJ Williams(26)

S:

Erik Harris could be brought back as a 3rd safety, I would like to add a partner for Karl Joseph

• Landon Collins(25)- would be a perfect fit next to Karl Joseph.. will demand alot of money
  • HaHa Clinton Dix(26)- another great fit in Silver n Black
  • Adrian Amos(26)- Bears probably going to let him walk
  • Clayton Geathers(27)- Range! 
  • Tre Boston(27)- see above
  • Kenny Vaccaro(28)- more a force against the run, and injury concerns
  • George lloka(29)- knows the system, decent
  • Adrian Phillips(27)- emerging safety, may Bolt for bigger role and money

cheap depth, would be smart to have 3 safeties who have range and can play

• Mike Mitchel(32)l- thrived as a 3rd safety for Colts
  • Jimmie Ward(28)- could use a fresh start
  • Curtis Riley(27)- had 4 picks for the Giants, ended season in dog house
  • Erik Harris(29)-  would be welcomed back as depth
  • Eric Reid(27)

DE Preston Smith

OLB Anthony Barr

S George Iloka

Would love S Collins and or HaHa but trying to keep money reasonable hence Iloka

Draft DE, WR, RB and BPA. Double dip WR would be good.

1 hour ago, G said:

DE Preston Smith

OLB Anthony Barr

S George Iloka

Would love S Collins and or HaHa but trying to keep money reasonable hence Iloka

Draft DE, WR, RB and BPA. Double dip WR would be good.

Give me Smith and Haha/Landon at big money..... our Dbs would be too nice and we would have a stud DE.....  average starting LB could look good if we get another DL or 2 in the draft.... 

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Give me Smith and Haha/Landon at big money..... our Dbs would be too nice and we would have a stud DE.....  average starting LB could look good if we get another DL or 2 in the draft.... 

Smith at big money? He's not even in the first tier of DEs for me. He averages like 6 sacks a year and is a younger Bruce irvin. 

Give me frank Clark over him. 

Archived