2018 Depth Chart...How do you see it?

Humble_Beast

I wonder if Derrick Johnson will play MLB in base and if he stays on the field in nickel. PFF rated him highly in coverage and not so highly against the run but I haven't verified to see if that checks out. I'm also curious to know how the staff views Morrow.

I'd still be interested in signing Bowman and having him play MLB with Whitehead and Johnson as the OLBs in base.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I wonder if Derrick Johnson will play MLB in base and if he stays on the field in nickel. PFF rated him highly in coverage and not so highly against the run but I haven't verified to see if that checks out. I'm also curious to know how the staff views Morrow.

I'd still be interested in signing Bowman and having him play MLB with Whitehead and Johnson as the OLBs in base.

Maybe we are going to try to use Lee there too (not nickel)

21 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

The tryout rb we cut hood for probably wont make the team either. 

Yeah it will be tough sledding with the twins and Martin. If all come into camp hungry then I don't see a lot of room. I think we all want a bigger back as an option but to beat those guys out he'll  have to be better quality than a tryout or walk on most likely. Maybe we pick someone else up after cuts down the line.

36 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah it will be tough sledding with the twins and Martin. If all come into camp hungry then I don't see a lot of room. I think we all want a bigger back as an option but to beat those guys out he'll  have to be better quality than a tryout or walk on most likely. Maybe we pick someone else up after cuts down the line.

Maybe.  I'm hoping we're just more effective after the new scheme is in place.  The scat backs can be effective, as can Beast Mode.  If we use them right, and fix our passing game up, things could really change.  I mean lets not forget we hardly even used play action last year.  I'm expecting a big improvement from coaching alone.  Maybe not top ten offense again but a clear improvement should be attainable.

5 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Maybe.  I'm hoping we're just more effective after the new scheme is in place.  The scat backs can be effective, as can Beast Mode.  If we use them right, and fix our passing game up, things could really change.  I mean lets not forget we hardly even used play action last year.  I'm expecting a big improvement from coaching alone.  Maybe not top ten offense again but a clear improvement should be attainable.

I agree. Coaching alone on offense is going to help. A lot will fall on Carr and where his development goes. The dynamic now with Bryant as a true deep threat is understated. That is really going to open up the offense.

Biggest concern is the Oline. They took a step back last season and Cable's presence is less than exciting to me. We've not really talked about what the plan is as far as zone, power, etc. But the addition of Miller/Parker suggest they want to be able to run outside zone and need those athletic tackles. 

7 hours ago, dante9876 said:

The tryout rb we cut hood for probably wont make the team either. 

Would think not given the depth at RB. PS maybe. Wonder if they see him as a RB or a FB? Chris Warren III is interesting. His career at Texas was a mess. He was transferring out before declaring for the draft. A lot of Texas fans were questioning coaching not giving him carries as the season went on. He wasn't happy with his role. Certainly a 4.69 40 isn't inspiring for a RB. 

I saw an article recently that stated J. Richard may be cut due to other players taking over return duties.  Between him and D. Washington, I think Washington will be the first to go.  J. Richard's stats are pretty good. 4.9 rushing yards per attempt and 9.5 receiving yards per reception.  56 carries and 27 receptions with 2 total TDs.  D. Washington averaged a measly 2.7 yards per carry and 5.8 yards per reception.  If anyone is being released/traded, it's D. Washington IMO.  I think the #3 spot will be a toss up between the UDFA we just signed and D. Martin.

23 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I saw an article recently that stated J. Richard may be cut due to other players taking over return duties.  Between him and D. Washington, I think Washington will be the first to go.  J. Richard's stats are pretty good. 4.9 rushing yards per attempt and 9.5 receiving yards per reception.  56 carries and 27 receptions with 2 total TDs.  D. Washington averaged a measly 2.7 yards per carry and 5.8 yards per reception.  If anyone is being released/traded, it's D. Washington IMO.  I think the #3 spot will be a toss up between the UDFA we just signed and D. Martin.

Do fumbles factor in?

Archived