Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

Just now, packfanfb said:

You're acting like this was some 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens defensive performance where we just shut them defensively out and somehow still lost. That's simply not what happened.  

How many points did they have up to 6 minutes and 9 seconds left in the third quarter?  It IS simply what happened.  We completely and wholly shut them down.  Then we gave up one touchdown, then we intercepted them again, and after that interception (which gave us a 99% chance of winning based on every game in the history of the game), they got momentum and torched a defense.

And no, we HADN'T always had Seattle's number.  That same year they started the season giving up 30 plus points against Seattle. 

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

How many points did they have up to 6 minutes and 9 seconds left in the third quarter?  It IS simply what happened.  We completely and wholly shut them down.  Then we gave up one touchdown, then we intercepted them again, and after that interception (which gave us a 99% chance of winning based on every game in the history of the game), they got momentum and torched a defense.

And no, we HADN'T always had Seattle's number.  That same year they started the season giving up 30 plus points against Seattle. 

Yea, I said the same thing. 

As to your first point, I pretty much agree. We shut them out for most of the game, gave up a score (which was ST, not our defense), had a 99% chance to win, then with the help of offense doing nothing and Bostick, gave up 3 straight TDs and lost. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yea, I said the same thing. 

As to your first point, I pretty much agree. We shut them out for most of the game, gave up a score (which was ST, not our defense), had a 99% chance to win, then with the help of offense doing nothing and Bostick, gave up 3 straight TDs and lost. 

Yep, and what got me was we were talking about Capers.  Capers came up with the plan that worked.  The defense did their job up until they got deflated. 

Lets say a TO takes 3 points away from your points allowed. I believe that's about the league average on points scored off of a TO.

That would mean the defense allowed 1 points against the Seahawks in regulation, even punishing them for the 2 point conversion allowed off of the ST TD.

That performnce would have been the 85 Bears 8th best performance of the regular season. This literally was an 85 Bears style performance. 

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lets say a TO takes 3 points away from your points allowed. I believe that's about the league average on points scored off of a TO.

That would mean the defense allowed 1 points against the Seahawks in regulation, even punishing them for the 2 point conversion allowed off of the ST TD.

That performnce would have been the 85 Bears 8th best performance of the regular season. This literally was an 85 Bears style performance. 

That game was the single best and most satisfying game to watch in my Packers fandom until it wasn't

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't see the 85' Bears defense, or frankly just about any defense in the league in 2014, giving up 21 points in the final 4 minutes of regulation and OT, up 19-7 at the time, in a Conference Championship game. Did the offense help them any? No. Did ST? No. But it's still a defensive collapse I wouldn't have even thought we were capable of, especially given the high level of play up to that point. 

Pettine was up in Seattle all last year, wonder what he learned in game planning for GB ?  That should yield some interesting conversations. Pettine said that because GB-seattle was season opener, they spent a lot of time in game prep for that one

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I don't see the 85' Bears defense, or frankly just about any defense in the league in 2014, giving up 21 points in the final 4 minutes of regulation and OT, up 19-7 at the time, in a Conference Championship game. Did the offense help them any? No. Did ST? No. But it's still a defensive collapse I wouldn't have even thought we were capable of, especially given the high level of play up to that point. 

I don't think anyone is arguing there wasn't a collapse... The argument I believe is that it should have never every been close enough to happen. And the offense needed to do more all game to support what they were doing

12 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't think anyone is arguing there wasn't a collapse... The argument I believe is that it should have never every been close enough to happen. And the offense needed to do more all game to support what they were doing

And I agree, the offense ****ed up several opportunities, especially in the first half when we settled for FGs instead of TDs. In an ideal world, we would have been up 28-3 instead of 19-7 when the defensive problems started late in the game.  

3 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

That game was the single best and most satisfying game to watch in my Packers fandom until it wasn't

I kept pointing to the clock and going "Tick Tock, Baby! Tick, Freaking Tock!" Three touchdowns later :(

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Any chance we can discuss Mike Pettine's defense in the Mike Pettine Defense thread ?

Lot of that going around, threadwise. DeShone Kizer thread makes everyone think about Demarious Randall, etc., etc.. 

In May I don't mind rummaging through the threads for the occasional nugget of decent football talk.

Archived