Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

Tell ya the truth - I dont care what scheme they play on D so long as it matches (as best possible) the skills and aptitude of the players and is effective in getting turnovers or 3+outs at a faster pace than we've been seeing. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Tell ya the truth - I dont care what scheme they play on D so long as it matches (as best possible) the skills and aptitude of the players and is effective in getting turnovers or 3+outs at a faster pace than we've been seeing. 

I don't pretend to watch a ton of CLE, but when Tramon was last here, he was at his best playing off man. I remember Palmy talking about how it contrasted with House. Ray has already said he doesn't want Jackson pressing yet, and King started last year better at off man. 

25 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

I don't pretend to watch a ton of CLE, but when Tramon was last here, he was at his best playing off man. I remember Palmy talking about how it contrasted with House. Ray has already said he doesn't want Jackson pressing yet, and King started last year better at off man. 

Who is this Ray ?

On 5/19/2018 at 7:19 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

All mediocre to really, really, really, REALLY bad draft picks by the man you love so much... Bill Belichick.  All 2nd-4th round picks. 

BB has absolutely made many a poor draft pick during his tenure in NE. 

BB has also repeatedly jettisoned his draft picks while they were still on their rookie deals thereby tacitly admitting his many poor picks.

BB has also made the most trades involving NFL players of any NFL GM in an attempt to overcome those poor picks.

BB has also made extensive use of veteran free agency in an attempt to overcome those poor picks.

During the tenure of the Packers previous GM, the drafting was exceptional between 2005-2010. It was nothing better than average between 2011-2017. 

The Packers previous GM did not make a SINGLE trade involving a relevant player during the last decade of his tenure to overcome his "mediocre" drafting.

The Packers previous GM proudly proclaimed his disdain for veteran free agency rather than vigorously pursuing talent that could have helped the franchise overcome his "mediocre" drafting.

The combination of the previous GM's "mediocre" drafting record over the second half of his tenure and his stubborn opposition to adding (veteran) talent via trades and free agency is (i) undeniable and (ii) regrettable. Props to Murph for seeing the light and moving on.

Also glad to see Gute flushing his predecessor's anti-trade and anti-free agency fetishes away just as quickly as Pettine seems to be getting rid of Dom's flaccid approach to the D.

Lots to be excited about in GB in 2018.

PS Don't love BB in the least, just not in denial that his 8 trips to the SB (and 5 victories) put him in a completely different class than the GM you love so much -- the one who somehow overcame so many obstacles at the QB position to get the Pack to all those SBs during his 13-years as GM.

13 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

BB has also repeatedly jettisoned his draft picks while they were still on their rookie deals thereby tacitly admitting his many poor picks.

BB has also made the most trades involving NFL players of any NFL GM in an attempt to overcome those poor picks.

BB has also made extensive use of veteran free agency in an attempt to overcome those poor picks.

During the tenure of the Packers previous GM, the drafting was exceptional between 2005-2010. It was nothing better than average between 2011-2017. 

The Packers previous GM did not make a SINGLE trade involving a relevant player during the last decade of his tenure to overcome his "mediocre" drafting.

The Packers previous GM proudly proclaimed his disdain for veteran free agency rather than vigorously pursuing talent that could have helped the franchise overcome his "mediocre" drafting.

The combination of the previous GM's "mediocre" drafting record over the second half of his tenure and his stubborn opposition to adding (veteran) talent via trades and free agency is (i) undeniable and (ii) regrettable. Props to Murph for seeing the light and moving on.

Also glad to see Gute flushing his predecessor's anti-trade and anti-free agency fetishes away just as quickly as Pettine seems to be getting rid of Dom's flaccid approach to the D.

Lots to be excited about in GB in 2018.

PS Don't love BB in the least, just not in denial that his 8 trips to the SB (and 5 victories) put him in a completely different class than the GM you love so much -- the one who somehow overcame so many obstacles at the QB position to get the Pack to all those SBs during his 13-years as GM.

Very well put. Much of "the Packers previous GM's" draft woes came as a result of Dom. Belichick has targeted specific players for his game plan, which is why he looks successful at doing so on paper. Sure, we can gush about the luxury of a Tom Brady, but Belichick and his coaching staff have coached their way around their lack of star power, particularly on defense, with how they've managed role players.

Bill Belichick suffers from the same disease as most other HCs who are (effectively) GMs as well - Too many hats worn, means not enough time spent analysing college talent. He is spread too thin, so drafting isn't great, and dissecting college players may not be his forte, either. Remember Mike Holmgren when he was HC and GM - he drafted poorly as well.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Plus a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with anything and a lot of deflection.

I'll ask it again since you have NEVER once taken me up on the offer and if you respond, it's always with a bunch of deflection.  I'll be clear.  Again.

Name a single GM that has had 5 years as a team's GM that didn't have more draft busts than Thompson.  Just one.  A single one. 

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Very well put. Much of "the Packers previous GM's" draft woes came as a result of Dom. Belichick has targeted specific players for his game plan, which is why he looks successful at doing so on paper. Sure, we can gush about the luxury of a Tom Brady, but Belichick and his coaching staff have coached their way around their lack of star power, particularly on defense, with how they've managed role players.

The Pats have also proven they can win and even beat good teams in Brady's absence. I don't really think it's a personnel thing. I think he is just an exponentially better coach than McCarthy and holds his entire coaching staff to another level of excellence than was demonstrated in Green Bay. BB would not have stood for the mediocre defense that DC put out year after year. Especially the postseason meltdowns.

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'll ask it again since you have NEVER once taken me up on the offer and if you respond, it's always with a bunch of deflection.  I'll be clear.  Again.

Name a single GM that has had 5 years as a team's GM that didn't have more draft busts than Thompson.  Just one.  A single one. 

Difficult since most of the new Matt Millens never had any good drafts like Thompson did to warrant any longevity.

18 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Problem is this is only half of the question. Name a single GM who did less than Thompson to fill in gaps on the roster created by his draft busts....

I'd argue that is the MUCH bigger issue here because every GM has draft busts and draft misses...comes with the job. Maybe TT was better than most there overall (certainly in his earlier years versus the later ones), but he certainly wasn't better than most GMs (if any) at using the other avenues of roster building to make up for his busts/misses. 

Which GM would you rather have -- A GM who misses on 7 picks but then signs 4 guys to plug a few holes or TT who has 5 busts/misses and signs no one to plug the holes created by those busts/misses. That was TT's M.O. for years and our roster looks the way it does today versus 2009-2011 because of it. 

Archived