Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

I always get a kick out of the "we are a draft and develop" team. As if there are teams out there that pass on their yearly allotted 7 picks. It's also no longer an excuse not to delve into FA as it once was. It may require a team to be a bit more cut throat - see the Jordy Nelson situation - and New England every year - but it's a business.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I always get a kick out of the "we are a draft and develop" team. As if there are teams out there that pass on their yearly allotted 7 picks. It's also no longer an excuse not to delve into FA as it once was. 

Draft and develop is more about allowing rookies or even UDFAs to fill roles/holes where other teams would get a veteran to plug the gap. I'd say there is also a slightly higher priority on re-signing core players, though the difference there is probably too subtle to prove. The level to which you go pure D&D will depend each year on the status of the team as a whole (and that years available pool of vets and their perceived talent-to-cost ratio), there is no need for GMs to paint themselves in a corner..

I'm not advocating a TT level of D&D, just saying what it is about, is a little different than you are portraying. Of course all teams value their draft picks, how else do you restock a roster year after year. Finally draft and develop is not an 'excuse' for anything as you suggest, it is a philosophy on how to run a team over time, and different teams have varying ideas about how much of each ingredient goes into the recipe.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you screw up the drafting and developing process, you have to work overtime to correct the situation.  If you didn't screw up the situation, you don't feel the need to correct the situation.  You can point to BB as someone whose willing to make other transactions to fix your roster, I'll point to his mediocre drafting history.

Very fair. I'd say after many successful years, TT hit a few years were something went South. Now we have Gute.

From his team bio. Good stuff

Pettine comes to Green Bay after working as a consultant for the Seattle Seahawks last season. He brings five years of experience as a defensive coordinator for the New York Jets (2009-12) and Buffalo Bills (2013) as well as two years as head coach for the Cleveland Browns (2014-15).

In his first season in Cleveland, he guided the Browns to their most victories since 2007 as they led the league in opponent passer rating (74.1) and ranked No. 2 in interceptions (21).

In his five years as a defensive coordinator, Pettine led his units to a top-10 finish in total yards allowed and passing yards allowed in all five seasons.

In 2013, he helped the Bills rank No. 2 in the NFL with a franchise-record 57 sacks as Buffalo was the lone team in the league to have three players each register 10-plus sacks.

During his four seasons with the Jets, the defense ranked No. 1 in the NFL over that span in opponent passer rating (71.0), completion percentage (52.6) and passing yards per game (186.3).

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Pettine comes to Green Bay after working as a consultant for the Seattle Seahawks last season. He brings five years of experience as a defensive coordinator for the New York Jets (2009-12) and Buffalo Bills (2013) as well as two years as head coach for the Cleveland Browns (2014-15).

In his first season in Cleveland, he guided the Browns to their most victories since 2007 as they led the league in opponent passer rating (74.1) and ranked No. 2 in interceptions (21).

In his five years as a defensive coordinator, Pettine led his units to a top-10 finish in total yards allowed and passing yards allowed in all five seasons.

In 2013, he helped the Bills rank No. 2 in the NFL with a franchise-record 57 sacks as Buffalo was the lone team in the league to have three players each register 10-plus sacks.

During his four seasons with the Jets, the defense ranked No. 1 in the NFL over that span in opponent passer rating (71.0), completion percentage (52.6) and passing yards per game (186.3).

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Have to like that. 2013 ( Pettine's only season with BUF) was also Kyle Williams only season where got got double digit sacks (10.5), with 5.5 being his high for all other years. Hopefully he can get that type of productions out of Daniels, Clark, Wilk, Adams, ect.

Jerry Hughes has also only had one other 10+ sack season other than when Pettine coached him in 2013. ( 2014 under the Schwartz).

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

We are past the point of draft and develop as we have few holes on this team, not many holes like we did back in 2005 and 2006.

We were also on the brink of salary cap he’ll back then with a lot of bad contracts and dead money. Mike Sherman did a poor job finding talent and handing out money, his failures though ended up putting us down the path that got Rodgers into Green Bay but man I do not miss him

What do you think is the ceiling of the D is for this year, and where do you think we end up?

I think we're going to rely on younger players making the next step a bit more than other teams, but there are a lot of high upside players in the secondary mixed with a good group of vets. We're relying a lot more than I'd like on Perry and Clay, and idt the ceiling of our backup EDGE rushers are all that high; but I truly believe the defensive line is gonna flat out dominate which will take some pressure off the EDGE guys. Pettine has a great track record, and in some cases with less. 

I think I'm going to hedge my bet a bit here and say that I don't believe this group is a significant weakness. I think we'll have a group that is good enough to contend, and will make a lot of big plays.

13 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

What do you think is the ceiling of the D is for this year, and where do you think we end up?

I think we're going to rely on younger players making the next step a bit more than other teams, but there are a lot of high upside players in the secondary mixed with a good group of vets. We're relying a lot more than I'd like on Perry and Clay, and idt the ceiling of our backup EDGE rushers are all that high; but I truly believe the defensive line is gonna flat out dominate which will take some pressure off the EDGE guys. Pettine has a great track record, and in some cases with less. 

I think I'm going to hedge my bet a bit here and say that I don't believe this group is a significant weakness. I think we'll have a group that is good enough to contend, and will make a lot of big plays.

If you can tell me right now that Perry and Matthews will each play at least 14 out of 16 regular season games and be healthy for the playoffs, I'll buy into a top 15 defense. 

33 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

If the defense stays relatively healthy and two of Kevin King, Alexander, and Jackson turn into Good to great starters I see no reason this defense can't potentially reach top 10. That's a lot to ask for though. The D line this year should be downright dominant its really up to the secondary to hold their end of the bargain. 

Archived