Jump to content
squire12

Mike Pettine Defense

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 4:04 PM, NormSizedMidget said:

I stole and I robbed and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom.

Best part is when he says he never got caught, lol!

 

 

Edited by Toddfather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Best part is when he says he never got caught, lol!

 

 

I was going to type until that line but I gave up lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Packers Wire:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/14/packers-anticipating-a-big-jump-from-s-kentrell-brice/

“Kentrell’s doing an excellent job,” McCarthy said Thursday. “I think he’s definitely had one of the best offseason programs (on the team). The thing that goes unnoticed is his communication skills. I love the way he plays. The ability to get past the injury. Be here the whole time. Having the whole dose of the strength and conditioning program. But you can see, he’s really comfortable out there, with the adjustments and the communications.”

The opportunity for Brice is there, especially after veteran Morgan Burnett departed in free agency. Snaps at safety are available, and he’ll likely go into training camp as the favorite to play next to Ha Ha Clinton-Dix when the Packers move Josh Jones down to linebacker.

Question: Is the nitro package a part of Pettine's defense too ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brice stepping up (and staying healthy) would be really valuable.  

Tramon talked about Pettine's defense.  He said that it's a pretty simple/easy defense, which allows guys to think less and play fast.  

We'll see whether that proves true for guys like Brice and Jones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://apnews.com/13decf7f232242c795e1ba57bb6d3512

Team film sessions at CB West High School with Pettine Sr., on Mondays after Friday games stick out, too.

“You would never know (they won) if you sat in on those film sessions — you would think they lost by 30 when they had won by 30,” Pettine said. “But I’m a big believer in there’s no better teaching tool than seeing it on film. You paint a picture, you show a guy, ‘Hey, this is how it’s supposed to look.’”

It was a way that his father held his players accountable, which is also important to Pettine.

“My dad said, ‘Stop the projector, turn on the lights. Quick, stand up and explain to your teammates what you were just doing.’ Nobody wanted that to happen,” Pettine said. “And that’s something I’ve always believed, being honest with your players, being direct, that’s by far the best way to go about things.”

With one big difference.

“I don’t turn on the lights,” Pettine said with a laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former ALL- WORLD LT Joe Thomas talks about Pettine's defense, Pettine coached Thomas in CLE and Joe is clearly a fan

From PackersWire:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/20/joe-thomas-excited-about-mike-pettine-taking-over-packers-defense/

“He is a great defensive mind. I think Packers fans have a right to be excited,” Thomas said. “I think he’s going to be a fun energy, an attacking defense that is going to be fun for fans to watch. And I think it’s going to be a really good defense. It’s really productive.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came across an interesting older article on Cover -3 in Seattle....and since Pettine spent the 2017 season up there working with them, I figured its a worthy read. Ironically, they diagram Seattle defense trying to shut down Jimmy Graham when he was a Saint.

I also noted the comment below about how having a stout DL is key to running a Cover  3 defense effectively

And one of the other comments in the article is that they had the Seattle CBs lined up in press and would hand fight and re-route WRs prior to dropping into their Cover-3 zones.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/12/6/5176254/seahawks-earl-thomas-pete-carroll-nfl-saints

"One of the outstanding features of the scheme besides its commitment to defend the run is its ability to remain balanced and defend big plays (sound familiar?). The short safety dropping down inside the box now plays more of a role as a linebacker, being able to defend the outside edge and force the RB to cutback at the same time he can drop back into coverage. Likewise, the Cover 3 also sends more players down to defend the pass than with its cousin Cover 2, and with three defensive backs rotating around the deep third of the field teams are hard pressed to make big passing plays down the field.

Let's look at how each section of the defense work in a technical level, starting with run containment and defense:"

A.jpg

"Observe how playing eight men in the box allows each defensive player to take care of each offensive run gap/lane. This is why Cover-3 works so well in this regard - practically every person has one gap assignment, and it really doesn't get as simple as that. You can also see that, with some two-gapping specifications, the 3-Tech and the 5-Tech can force a double team and leave the back four players free to contain the play and make the tackle. In the diagram above, any runs towards the TE side will let the SS force the run back in if he plays with outside leverage, and the WILL does the same thing accordingly.

However, this also make it just as important that each player stay disciplined and remain on their gap. If one person gets trapped or over-pursues, for example, he probably only has the lone free safety to beat for the touchdown. This is why a superb front line is necessary to run the Cover 3 effectively, and why PC/JS have worked so hard to improve that unit overall.

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Article up on OLB/DL Chris Odom who's head was swimming all year long as he tried to adjust on the fly

https://www.packers.com/news/chris-odom-settling-in-after-rookie-crash-course

There was one catch coming to Green Bay, though. With one week until the regular-season opener against Seattle, Odom would need to shift from a 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker for the first time in his football career.

“It was a little hectic because I went from a 4-3 defensive end to a stand-up outside linebacker learning drops, coverages, and a whole new defense on the fly,” Odom said. “I couldn’t learn the whole defense in a week. I had to learn what plays we were going to run game-to-game. It wasn’t easy, but I stuck to it.”

“It gives him a chance to really lock it down on the basics, and the other part of it is it’s a new defensive system to him, just like everybody else,” said Head Coach Mike McCarthy of Odom. “He’s been here a full year and he needs to take a step.”

Edited by Shanedorf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Article up on OLB/DL Chris Odom who's head was swimming all year long as he tried to adjust on the fly

https://www.packers.com/news/chris-odom-settling-in-after-rookie-crash-course

There was one catch coming to Green Bay, though. With one week until the regular-season opener against Seattle, Odom would need to shift from a 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker for the first time in his football career.

“It was a little hectic because I went from a 4-3 defensive end to a stand-up outside linebacker learning drops, coverages, and a whole new defense on the fly,” Odom said. “I couldn’t learn the whole defense in a week. I had to learn what plays we were going to run game-to-game. It wasn’t easy, but I stuck to it.”

“It gives him a chance to really lock it down on the basics, and the other part of it is it’s a new defensive system to him, just like everybody else,” said Head Coach Mike McCarthy of Odom. “He’s been here a full year and he needs to take a step.”

I"m not necessarily talking about this article, but those Packer.com articles have really improved since Wes Hodkiewicz was brought on board with Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article on Vnce Biegel's offseason via Badgerland:

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/7/12/football-lucas-biegel-focused-on-breaking-through-for-packers.aspx

"Biegel is in the unique position where he's playing for his fourth defensive coordinator in four seasons, a list that includes Dave Aranda, Justin Wilcox, Dom Capers and now Mike Pettine."He (Pettine) is all business," Biegel said, "with a ton of football knowledge."

During a trip to Madison, Biegel ran into UW defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard, who played for Pettine in Buffalo and Cleveland. Leonhard schooled him on what to expect out of Pettine's defense. In fact, they even watched some film together with Leonhard handling the narration.

"Coach Pettine has asked me to do a lot of things that I was doing at Wisconsin," said Biegel. "Like line up on a wide receiver and reroute him. Like cover wheel routes on running backs. "Versatility is very important at outside linebacker. Dave Aranda asked me to do those things early-on for him and Coach Pettine has asked me to do the same."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Article on Vnce Biegel's offseason via Badgerland:

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/7/12/football-lucas-biegel-focused-on-breaking-through-for-packers.aspx

 

"Biegel is in the unique position where he's playing for his fourth defensive coordinator in four seasons, a list that includes Dave Aranda, Justin Wilcox, Dom Capers and now Mike Pettine."He (Pettine) is all business," Biegel said, "with a ton of football knowledge."

 

During a trip to Madison, Biegel ran into UW defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard, who played for Pettine in Buffalo and Cleveland. Leonhard schooled him on what to expect out of Pettine's defense. In fact, they even watched some film together with Leonhard handling the narration.

"Coach Pettine has asked me to do a lot of things that I was doing at Wisconsin," said Biegel. "Like line up on a wide receiver and reroute him. Like cover wheel routes on running backs. "Versatility is very important at outside linebacker. Dave Aranda asked me to do those things early-on for him and Coach Pettine has asked me to do the same."

I'm not sure how to feel about that to be honest with you. Gonna take some getting used to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not sure how to feel about that to be honest with you. Gonna take some getting used to

I agree.  I don't like the idea of having Beigel in coverage against RBs much less WRs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:
5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Article on Vnce Biegel's offseason via Badgerland:

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/7/12/football-lucas-biegel-focused-on-breaking-through-for-packers.aspx

 

"Biegel is in the unique position where he's playing for his fourth defensive coordinator in four seasons, a list that includes Dave Aranda, Justin Wilcox, Dom Capers and now Mike Pettine."He (Pettine) is all business," Biegel said, "with a ton of football knowledge."

 

During a trip to Madison, Biegel ran into UW defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard, who played for Pettine in Buffalo and Cleveland. Leonhard schooled him on what to expect out of Pettine's defense. In fact, they even watched some film together with Leonhard handling the narration.

"Coach Pettine has asked me to do a lot of things that I was doing at Wisconsin," said Biegel. "Like line up on a wide receiver and reroute him. Like cover wheel routes on running backs. "Versatility is very important at outside linebacker. Dave Aranda asked me to do those things early-on for him and Coach Pettine has asked me to do the same."

I'm not sure how to feel about that to be honest with you. Gonna take some getting used to

He can ask Biegel to do those things....whether Biegel is capable of doing them effectively is another conversation altogether

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not asking Biegel to cover a WR, he's asking him to pop the slot guy on his way to the QB

Its the same as a CB pressing/jamming,  but in this case the WR isn't always expecting it. As far as the wheel route/RB thang, Pettine isn't leading with that as his Plan A. If you go back to that presser, he says he wants guys to be multiple so the QB can't figure it out as easily before the snap

Sometimes he rushes, sometimes he drops. Sometimes the ILB covers the Wheel sometimes the OLB. Sometimes the Safety.  And who is the MIKE ?

That's all part of what Pettine does to cause confusion and hesitation pre-snap. He even goes on to say that if the QB has your D figured out pre-snap, yer already in a world of hurt.  So Biegel is going to have to learn to do many things, some of which he's already done. But is doesn't mean that's his main role or that Pettine isn't smart enough to see what you see. This is just Classic training technique to connect what you don't know with what you already know - that's how you make it easier on the student

And its also how you construct a modern defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×