Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

Think you guys pretty much nailed it a few posts up. Pettine defenses do not typically feature elite pass-rushers but their secondaries are often stacked. His D emphasizes coverage-sacks, not pass-rush.

So yes, you can pretty much count on us going DB high. I figure we're pulling for one of Fitz or Ward with our 1st, and if not, we take the highest DB on our board with our 2nd, maybe even move up from either spot to get the guy(s) we like.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I thought Clay did two things very well last year.  

#1...Blitzed a guard/tackle gap as an ILB.  Timed them nicely, and if the OL gives him a shoulder, he's by them in no time.  I thought he was very effective as an inside blitzer.

#2...Coverage from the ILB position.  Guy has a knack for knowing zones and routes.  Reads and reacts very quickly and hits with force.  I think he caused a pick on a bobbled ball and maybe caused a fumble or an incompletion as well.  I really liked how he played the short passes.

I think this team will need him as an OLB to start, but I'm hoping that they either find a rookie capable of rushing as an OLB on obvious passing downs, or Biegle takes a huge leap forward in that role.  Moving Clay inside more would be good for that defense.

I agree, at this point his best position is inside. 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Idk..... I don't think GB's LB's are the worst. Probably more middle of the pack or slightly higher. Matthews still has it, just have to watch his tape from last year to see that. His sack count doesn't do his overall play justice. Perry is good when healthy. Martinez is an ascending player. I'd rate him as above average at least, and he'll only get better. 

Secondary is horrid injury prone. Don't think anyone can argue against that. 

Epic understatement. He's everything we've wanted him to be. 

I also agree that our LB's aren't the worst either. I think we're a pass rushing OLB away from it being a complete group. If our secondary can stay healthy... I'm not opposed to drafting a guy or two, but I don't think they're as bad as one would think.

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I agree, at this point his best position is inside. 

And I agree with you that Matthews best position at this point is inside and that a Martinez-Matthews combo would make a pretty good inside linebacker pairing. Ryan would also be fine if asked to be nothing more than a backup.

Of course, moving Clay back inside would leave the Pack CURRENTLY with Perry, Odom, Biegel, Gilbert, and Fackrell at OLBer. 

LIS, good luck Mike Pettine.

Matthews will still move around, but I'd be willing to bet an increasing amount of his reps will come inside. It's also likely to increase the longevity of his effectiveness. 

Agreed the more often this happens the more OLB takes a hit. That's why EDGE is vital in this draft, but I also think GB might have something in Gilbert and Biegel. Jury's definitely out but I have confidence those two will be contributors. At the very least they probably force Fackrell out. 

Matthews has carried very few reps inside the last two years in anything but the pressure packages. 

I don't doubt he can do it, but you're not getting more value out of him at ILB than you are OLB. He's still going to be an inside rusher in the pressure packages regardless of where he lines up on first down. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Matthews has carried very few reps inside the last two years in anything but the pressure packages. 

I don't doubt he can do it, but you're not getting more value out of him at ILB than you are OLB. He's still going to be an inside rusher in the pressure packages regardless of where he lines up on first down. 

I wish I could find the article now, but I read somewhere he was actually more effective rushing from ILB than OLB last year. I think he has a good chance to extend his playing days by switching more toward that position. I think he'd make a great ILB. 

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I wish I could find the article now, but I read somewhere he was actually more effective rushing from ILB than OLB last year. I think he has a good chance to extend his playing days by switching more toward that position. I think he'd make a great ILB. 

Obviously he'll be more effective rushing from the inside rather than the outside.

He rarely rushes from the inside on anything other than pressure downs. Everyone is a better rusher on pressure downs. Even on non pressure downs he would be a blitz read picked up by a C or RB typically. 

The problem with Clay as an ILB isn't the ability to blitz. 

52 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Obviously he'll be more effective rushing from the inside rather than the outside.

He rarely rushes from the inside on anything other than pressure downs. Everyone is a better rusher on pressure downs. Even on non pressure downs he would be a blitz read picked up by a C or RB typically. 

The problem with Clay as an ILB isn't the ability to blitz. 

What is? 

7 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Think you guys pretty much nailed it a few posts up. Pettine defenses do not typically feature elite pass-rushers but their secondaries are often stacked. His D emphasizes coverage-sacks, not pass-rush.

So yes, you can pretty much count on us going DB high. I figure we're pulling for one of Fitz or Ward with our 1st, and if not, we take the highest DB on our board with our 2nd, maybe even move up from either spot to get the guy(s) we like.

How many times has he had an opportunity to acquire an elite pass rusher?

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How many times has he had an opportunity to acquire an elite pass rusher?

2009 they took Sanchez over Maybin and Orakpo.

2010 Kyle Wilson over Jerry Hughes

2014 Justin Gilbert over Anthony Barr

That's about it. Unless you count the Coples as an EDGE rusher, he's never taken one in the first as a DC/HC.

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

2009 they took Sanchez over Maybin and Orakpo.

2010 Kyle Wilson over Jerry Hughes

2014 Justin Gilbert over Anthony Barr

That's about it. Unless you count the Coples as an EDGE rusher, he's never taken one in the first as a DC/HC.

A franchise QB will always trump a pass rusher, so I'm not really going to use 2009 against them.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Jets preferred their pass rushers in the bigger mold.  Positional tweeners like Hughes and Barr wouldn't have fit what they wanted.  And I wouldn't really call Hughes or Barr elite pass rush prospects.  Either way, I think the whole point is moot since Pettine probably wasn't a huge decision maker.  I'm sure he had input, but in terms of the hierarchy I'd imaging he was pretty far down the board.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A franchise QB will always trump a pass rusher, so I'm not really going to use 2009 against them.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Jets preferred their pass rushers in the bigger mold.  Positional tweeners like Hughes and Barr wouldn't have fit what they wanted.  And I wouldn't really call Hughes or Barr elite pass rush prospects.  Either way, I think the whole point is moot since Pettine probably wasn't a huge decision maker.  I'm sure he had input, but in terms of the hierarchy I'd imaging he was pretty far down the board.

Also unless a miracle happens I don't see him having a chance at an elite pass rusher this draft either.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Also unless a miracle happens I don't see him having a chance at an elite pass rusher this draft either.

Personally, I don't think Denzel Ward will be on the board.  I mentioned a while back, you have to go back to 2009 the last time the first CB went off the board AFTER the 11th pick.  That's not really good odds for him to fall to our pick.

Archived