Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

3 minutes ago, Arthur Pensky said:

Nope. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ahkello-witherspoon?id=2558157

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kevin-king?id=2557996

And I won't go there on Witherspoon> King either because it was King's rookie season with a busted wing. Also, King had one injury in one NFL year. Witherspoon could tear his knee up next year and then he's the injured one.

Why are you guys still taking the bait lol

It's blatant when he talks about his"significant" injury risk. K. Yes. That's totally a true, honest, factual thought.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is all true (minus King being a significant injury risk, that's not true at all.)

However, no one had Witherspoon over King pre draft. I'd rather have Carl Lawson over Watt, but no one would've said that on draft day. Just can't let that stuff bug you. With that all said, I'm still taking King over Witherspoon if you're looking at potential.

King has suffered from chronic shoulder separation since his freshman year at Washington.  He just had his second surgery on the same shoulder.  In my eyes that is a significant injury risk.  Its not like this shoulder was a one time injury as its been a major problem for the entirety of both his college and NFL careers.  

You wouldn't have had to have Witherspoon over King pre-draft as he went 30 spots behind him.  I was pretty high on him coming out of CO.  He was probably a little rawer than King due to not being as experienced but he was every bit the player and athlete his last year in college. 

At this moment I'd rather have Witherspoon as he was a much better player last year.  Even when King wasn't bothered by his chronic shoulder, he was extremely inconsistent looking like  borderline NFL starter.  I don't see King having anymore potential than Witherspoon but hopefully he finally makes a full recovery and comes back much improved from the guy we seen last year.

I remember that one of the big questions about Kevin King when he came into the NFL was his toughness and tackling ability. And then he surprised us in training camp with some hard hits while defending the run. But looking back on it, I wonder if he had been shying away from those kinds of hits in his college career, knowing that he could reinjure the shoulder and jeopardize his draft position. When he got to the NFL, he couldn't afford to play like that anymore, and maybe he thought the shoulder was in good enough shape to take the punishment. But it wasn't. I'm hoping that the surgery will make a difference. I will be nervous when and if he puts a hard hit on a ballcarrier or takes on a blocker. 

8 hours ago, Greg C. said:

I remember that one of the big questions about Kevin King when he came into the NFL was his toughness and tackling ability. And then he surprised us in training camp with some hard hits while defending the run. But looking back on it, I wonder if he had been shying away from those kinds of hits in his college career, knowing that he could reinjure the shoulder and jeopardize his draft position. When he got to the NFL, he couldn't afford to play like that anymore, and maybe he thought the shoulder was in good enough shape to take the punishment. But it wasn't. I'm hoping that the surgery will make a difference. I will be nervous when and if he puts a hard hit on a ballcarrier or takes on a blocker. 

There were whispers about King's shoulder needing surgery all the way through the draft process. King fell partly because of that injury. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-defensive-personnel-analysis

2017 Defensive Personnel Analysis

From Bryan Knowles at Football Outsiders

"Just as three-wide formations have become the offensive default, nickel defenses are now the NFL's primary defensive formation.

Joining the Patriots as teams that laugh at the phrase "base defense" were the Packers, Chiefs, and Chargers. Their base defenses were, in actuality, dime packages. In general, we're talking about three safeties and three corners, rather than going with four cornerbacks -- Green Bay called it their "Nitro" package -- but it's something that's growing in popularity around the league. When you're weak at linebacker depth, going with an extra safety like Morgan Burnett or Adrian Phillips in the box makes a lot of sense. The hybrid safety/linebacker position is only growing in popularity, which makes nickel formations all the more enticing....

...Minnesota, Atlanta, Seattle, and Cincinnati were the least balanced defenses in the league, sitting in nickel more than two-thirds of the time. Contrast that with Houston, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, who didn't use any defensive personnel package more than 40 percent of the time, freely flipping between base, nickel, and dime packages depending on what personnel the offense trotted out.

It's interesting that even with the homogenization we've seen in personnel packages on the offensive side of the ball, there are still so many different ways that defenses choose to handle it. It's not like there's an obvious right or wrong way to do it, either -- the Vikings, Ravens, and Rams were about as far from one another as you can possibly get, yet all three were in the top six defenses by DVOA.

It doesn't seem to matter whether you stick to what you're best at or substitute to match every single variation offenses put out there. Either can work -- as long as you have the talent to back it up.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/pff-ranks-packers-as-nfls-no-1-run-defense-entering-2018/

"Martinez, Daniels and Clark all graded out among the best at their position in playing the run last season. The Packers were also first in the NFL in missed tackle percentage on run plays.

The Packers allowed only 3.9 yards per rush last season, good for eighth best in the NFL. Green Bay was also eighth in run defense DVOA, according to Football Outsiders."

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/pff-ranks-packers-as-nfls-no-1-run-defense-entering-2018/

"Martinez, Daniels and Clark all graded out among the best at their position in playing the run last season. The Packers were also first in the NFL in missed tackle percentage on run plays.

The Packers allowed only 3.9 yards per rush last season, good for eighth best in the NFL. Green Bay was also eighth in run defense DVOA, according to Football Outsiders."

Yeah, cause run defense means ****

On 7/13/2018 at 9:44 PM, Greg C. said:

The plus for Kevin King coming in to ther NFL was his excellent hitting and tackling ability. Big CB who can press and hit. 

• 2 weeks later...

MM comment from today's presser:

"McCarthy likes what he's seen from #Packers ILB Ahmad Thomas: "He's done a lot of good things. He definitely has the coverage ability, especially at the Will spot, that we're looking for. I'd like to see what he does on special teams too, but he's off to a good start."

I'm not all that bright, but doesn't the comment about a WILL spot relate more to 4-3 alignment than 3-4 ?

Or is it a generic LB term used in both fronts ?

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

MM comment from today's presser:

"McCarthy likes what he's seen from #Packers ILB Ahmad Thomas: "He's done a lot of good things. He definitely has the coverage ability, especially at the Will spot, that we're looking for. I'd like to see what he does on special teams too, but he's off to a good start."

I'm not all that bright, but doesn't the comment about a WILL spot relate more to 4-3 alignment than 3-4 ?

Or is it a generic LB term used in both fronts ?

Will is usually weakside off-ball backer. In a 3-4 they are the weakside ILB and in a 4-3 they are weakside OLB. Or at least that’s my experience with the term. 

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Will is usually weakside off-ball backer. In a 3-4 they are the weakside ILB and in a 4-3 they are weakside OLB. Or at least that’s my experience with the term. 

Will is 4-3 OLB who plays on the weakside or a 3-4 ILB who plays on the weak side. 

Some refer to the 3-4 versions as a WILB and a SILB but most just leave it as Will and Sam or Will and Mike based on who you like best. 

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Will is 4-3 OLB who plays on the weakside or a 3-4 ILB who plays on the weak side. 

Some refer to the 3-4 versions as a WILB and a SILB but most just leave it as Will and Sam or Will and Mike based on who you like best. 

Yeah when I played we ran a 4-4 base and called them “Sam-Mike-Will/Bill-Devil”. Agains single back sets the Devil rolled back and became SS and Will/Bill rolled outside

Archived