Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

Here's Pettine talking Reggie Gilbert:

“All you gotta do is watch the tape. Reggie’s done a good job,” Pettine said. “And he’s done a good job at practice too. It’s not just because he’s going against backups. He’s done a good job against our ones. He’s smart, he’s tough, he’s coachable. He’s done a real nice job for us.”

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's Pettine talking Reggie Gilbert:

“All you gotta do is watch the tape. Reggie’s done a good job,” Pettine said. “And he’s done a good job at practice too. It’s not just because he’s going against backups. He’s done a good job against our ones. He’s smart, he’s tough, he’s coachable. He’s done a real nice job for us.”

That's actually not super glowing to me somehow lol

20 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Good and nice aren't very exciting superlatives. Reads to me like 'he's going to be our 3rd guy and thats what it is.' Haha

Reads to me "he's going to be our 3rd guy unless we get Khalil Mack. Then he'll be our 4th guy." 

38 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From michael cohen tweeter:

"All throughout camp, Pettine has shown he’s comfortable using three defensive linemen and only one edge rusher on obvious passing downs"

But the pressure can be brought in many ways. Kentrell Brice had a nice pressure up the middle.

I like Pettine’s little surprises. They’re like, “What’s this flaming paper bag doing on my porch?”

On 8/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, squire12 said:

agree.  Trying to say something nice, but also staying realistic. 

You guys should study Pettine a bit more...this is how he talks. He was chastised for his lukewarm comments when introduced as the new HC in Cleveland, but when pressed on the issue, he said he's the opposite of Rex Ryan. And that's partially because he spent so much time with the bombastic Rex. Just not his style, so expecting "glowing" commentary from him is a mistake.

Playing some pre-snap chess with Pettine via PackersNews

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/07/29/packers-mike-pettine-less-complexity-pete-dougherty/853620002/

"The whole idea behind the Rex Ryan-Pettine scheme is to confuse quarterbacks with unfamiliar looks and send unexpected blitz combinations. That means complexity, because players can line up anywhere and everywhere, and they have to know what they’re doing in each spot.

But there has to be a certain amount of complexity for Pettine to be who he is. Cornerback Tramon Williams said he learned in his one season with Pettine in Cleveland (2015) that one of the new coordinator’s strengths is his ability to manipulate pass protections in the chess game with the offense.

“We show ’em what we want to show ’em,” Williams said, “then we get them to check to what we want them to check, and then we send a blitz from somewhere else, where they think it’s not coming. He knows that.”

36 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Playing some pre-snap chess with Pettine via PackersNews

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/07/29/packers-mike-pettine-less-complexity-pete-dougherty/853620002/

"The whole idea behind the Rex Ryan-Pettine scheme is to confuse quarterbacks with unfamiliar looks and send unexpected blitz combinations. That means complexity, because players can line up anywhere and everywhere, and they have to know what they’re doing in each spot.

But there has to be a certain amount of complexity for Pettine to be who he is. Cornerback Tramon Williams said he learned in his one season with Pettine in Cleveland (2015) that one of the new coordinator’s strengths is his ability to manipulate pass protections in the chess game with the offense.

“We show ’em what we want to show ’em,” Williams said, “then we get them to check to what we want them to check, and then we send a blitz from somewhere else, where they think it’s not coming. He knows that.”

I love this philosophy, and I believe many of us have wanted this kind of defensive philosophy at GB for a very long time.  Lets face it - prior to Pettine, GB's defense was way too predictable.  I'm really excited to see how these "chess matches" play out this season. 

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/28/packers-lb-ahmad-thomas-closing-in-on-roster-spot/

Pettine on LB Ahmad Thomas

“He’s an explosive athlete,” Pettine said Tuesday. “I think that’s what you need in the National Football League to play defense. The movement skills and explosiveness trump the bulk size you’re looking for in the new era linebacker. You’re looking for guys who are hybrid safety types.”

Pettine called Thomas the “perfect example” of a subpackage linebacker who can help defenses combat modern NFL offenses.

Lots more in the article...

Archived