Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I dont buy into this meme - that MM wont make changes.
If there was a better option than Brice on the roster - he'd talk to Pettine about using him.

MM should have been breaking down Gute's door with a sledgehammer all off-season before this mess started....."GUTE, THIS GUY CANNOT PLAY SAFETY, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE MY JOB IS ON THE LINE." If MM wants to come out and say he tried that, I'll give him a pass. :) 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont buy into this meme - that MM wont make changes.
If there was a better option than Brice on the roster - he'd talk to Pettine about using him.

Pettine trusts Whitehead enough to play him in the slot.  I can't definitively say that he's better than Brice or HHCD.  Nobody can.  But like 3 or 4 years ago at WR - we see the result on the field.  Right now it can't get much worse.  Might as well give him a shot. 

36 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Pettine trusts Whitehead enough to play him in the slot.  I can't definitively say that he's better than Brice or HHCD.  Nobody can.  But like 3 or 4 years ago at WR - we see the result on the field.  Right now it can't get much worse.  Might as well give him a shot.

I've never personally been impressed by Brice's coverage skills. A hard hitter - certainly - often he'd take bad angles and miss - but coverage? No. Going all the way back to the NFCCG against ATL - he got pressed into duty and totally "muffed" a Matty Ice "fly ball" chuck to deep center. It was right there in front of him - he was looking at it coming right to him - before he let it go over his head and into the WR's hands - who happened to be standing in the end zone  :$

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

I know many viewed my criticism of HHCD as over the top.  I think we can all agree that he has the physical tools to be a top 10 safety.  But his give a damn is, and has been busted.  He shuffles instead of backpedaling.  He's the last to swarm to the ball - especially when he thinks someone else has it.  He takes ****ty *** angles and rarely takes on a block.  

Brice's struggles have been more of a surprise.  Teams are going to keep picking on him until he proves beyond a doubt that he can track a ball and be in the right spot.  

I was a hhcd defender. He's sucked. But the play next to him isn't helping. Not just in being crap but I'm sure that's on his mind. We've seen that play out here before when there wasn't help. 

51 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

MM should have been breaking down Gute's door with a sledgehammer all off-season before this mess started....."GUTE, THIS GUY CANNOT PLAY SAFETY, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE MY JOB IS ON THE LINE." If MM wants to come out and say he tried that, I'll give him a pass. :) 

How's that on mm. Shouldn't that be on Mike or is he still getting a honeymoon pass

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

But he grades out so well!!!!

And people think Jones is gonna have an impact on this team when he can't even beat out Brice

I got yelled at for people on Reddit circle jerking that Brice could play CORNER because of his 40 time lol. Most fans are so clueless 

3 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I just want to say you were right about the Kizer trade at the time. What a bad deal for us - Kizer at this moment is not an upgrade over Hundley and we could really use Damarious over Brice right now. Good call on that one. 

I'm wrong too often to take credit for that. But I hated it then and nothing since says it was any better. But Kizer obviously needed time as well. Randall might have frustrated us too but yeah wouldn't that be nice right now

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've never personally been impressed by Brice's coverage skills. A hard hitter - certainly - often he'd take bad angles and miss - but coverage? No. Going all the way back to the NFCCG against ATL - he got pressed into duty and totally "muffed" a Matty Ice "fly ball" chuck to deep center. It was right there in front of him - he was looking at it coming right to him - before he let it go over his head and into the WR's hands - who happened to be standing in the end zone  :$

Yeah that was about the last time I recall being excited about Kentrell Brice.  This is a passing league, and guys like Brice are really a dime a dozen.  Ability to stop the run is a luxury we can't afford in the secondary at the moment.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Yeah that was about the last time I recall being excited about Kentrell Brice.  This is a passing league, and guys like Brice are really a dime a dozen.  Ability to stop the run is a luxury we can't afford in the secondary at the moment.

Hey - we've seen worse.

Remember HHCD's tracking and tracing Wilson's flying duck of a two point conversion in the NFCCG back when?
It went up in the air....kept on going up.....floating up and up and up.......HHCD had a bead on it....he's looking at it......but he never moves (!!) and I dont know who caught the damn thing for a successful conversion. 

That was a tough afternoon.

29 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Brice is far more than a box safety. Guys a downhill defender and a weapon against backs and TEs too. He's being challenged to do things he's bad at, and now he's thinking and not playing and everything is suffering.

Here we sit with like 11m in cap space and Morgan Burnett is taking up 2.5m in space this year. You want a wtf Gute moment, there it is. How on Earth was that too rich for your blood???

HHCD, Burnett, Brice, Jones would be an outstanding group. Jones would be a dime backer, Brice would be playing Whiteheads role.

Archived