Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Brice is far more than a box safety. Guys a downhill defender and a weapon against backs and TEs too. He's being challenged to do things he's bad at, and now he's thinking and not playing and everything is suffering.

Here we sit with like 11m in cap space and Morgan Burnett is taking up 2.5m in space this year. You want a wtf Gute moment, there it is. How on Earth was that too rich for your blood???

HHCD, Burnett, Brice, Jones would be an outstanding group. Jones would be a dime backer, Brice would be playing Whiteheads role.

Speaking of Burnett - went looking for him in tonights PIT/TB game - but turns out he's inactive/injured:

"Also inactive is starting safety Morgan Burnett, who missed time in practice during the week with a groin injury"

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Brice is far more than a box safety. Guys a downhill defender and a weapon against backs and TEs too. He's being challenged to do things he's bad at, and now he's thinking and not playing and everything is suffering.

Here we sit with like 11m in cap space and Morgan Burnett is taking up 2.5m in space this year. You want a wtf Gute moment, there it is. How on Earth was that too rich for your blood???

HHCD, Burnett, Brice, Jones would be an outstanding group. Jones would be a dime backer, Brice would be playing Whiteheads role.

Brice hasn't really looked too good trying to tackle the last 2 games either though.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If he was a part time player that would sure be nice.  It's just not possible these days to play as a S and not be competent in deep coverage.  You're describing decent traits for a LB but the problem is it's a S on our team.

If you're a starting safety, teams are gonna try to exploit your weaknesses -- especially when your weakness is defending the deep pass -- the most efficient play in football.  Hey, we get to run our best plays against a guy who sucks at defending our best plays?  Sign me up.

I think if Brice gives up a big play this week, McCarthy has to switch to  Jones(if he plays), he could just as bad and we all cry ourselves asleep, but you gotta make a change just for change sake if he isn't getting any better. I don't know where that Bears game Brice is, but he just isn't playing with confidence like he was that game. His coverage was bad on that first touchdown, but it's like as people have complained with HaHa, he just isn't tackling great like we thought was one of his strong traits. We need more of this in his game, albeit this is prolly a penalty this season, but he needs to do what he does best, knock some teeth out of receivers and running backs. 

brice_beasley_tackle_b.gif

I want safeties who know where the ball is at all times, have exceptional field awareness, uncanny anticipation skills, and who hit hard as hell and put the fear of God in our opponents’ receivers.  Ok fine, I’ll settle for knowing where the damn ball is at all times.

Martinez clip... Not great.

A few years ago Matthews moved inside to save the defense.  We had the depth at OLB for that move.  Now we don't.  

I'd argue that the move still needs to be made if Martinez doesn't turn it around.  I mean, this is pretty dang soft.

51...  man, I just don't see what the hell this coaching staff can do with an edge defender that consistently gets blocked out of a play by tight ends.  The guy doesn't stand a chance vs. A tackle.

We need 2 more EDGE defenders NOW so 52 can play inside on early downs.

49 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Incoming 10 page argument on why Martinez is the new worst packer who needs to be cut.

Not at all.  I didn't even argue 51 had to be cut.  He has ST value and I think he can play in space.  

But if the middle of the defense is this soft vs. teams that like to run, this looks like a similar problem to what we saw 3 or 4 years ago.  Matthews played a big part in solving that problem then.  I also think he's much more effective at getting to the QB when he's stunting or shooting gaps.  

6 hours ago, Cheech said:

Martinez clip... Not great.

A few years ago Matthews moved inside to save the defense.  We had the depth at OLB for that move.  Now we don't.  

I'd argue that the move still needs to be made if Martinez doesn't turn it around.  I mean, this is pretty dang soft.

51...  man, I just don't see what the hell this coaching staff can do with an edge defender that consistently gets blocked out of a play by tight ends.  The guy doesn't stand a chance vs. A tackle.

We need 2 more EDGE defenders NOW so 52 can play inside on early downs.

That first play was as clear of a combo off of a DE as you will ever see. That is not on Martinez. That is Lowry getting doubled easy.

Made the tackle in the second play.

Held his hand in the third play.

We have no way of knowing if hitting the crosser was part of his responsibilities and that certainly wasn't QB spy depth on his drop which makes that claim questionable as well.

6th play is for sure a whiff.

7th play he's lined up outside the TE on the left and the ball carrier went between the Center and Right guard??

8th play Kenny Clark jumped outside giving the OL a free path to him. Lowry got pulled inside. Fackrell got stuck on a TE. Jesus Christ is Fackrell looking trash this year.

9th play Kenny Clark guessed wrong on his first step leaving three ******* gaps open.

10th play: he was never in the play. What the **** are people mad at him here for?

11th play. He was in his gap. Adams got excited and blew his gap responsibility going for the stop. That's not Martinez.

12th play, he's left side B gap and the ball carrier goes right side C Gap. What is the expectation on this play?

13th play, Watch Lowry here and tell me that's anything more than a guy getting combo'd? 

+++++

I understand everybody has the right to video and can draw their own conclusions, but some of this is straight ******* wrong and shows an ignorance by the guy posting these clips.

DLine, especially Lowry, let the group down on Sunday. Adams needs to get his emotions under control because that's a helluva lot more fixable than Lowry getting endlessly doubled up to the linebackers.

40 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Yea it’s hilarious how 1 or 2 gif’s can spin people up like that. You can cherry-pick some bad plays from any player in the league.

I was going to say, if I went through the best linebacker in the league I could make him look terrible. They aren't completely wrong about him imo. Ryan not being around hurts, even though he's da sux because he didn't make splash plays

7 hours ago, Cheech said:

Not at all.  I didn't even argue 51 had to be cut.  He has ST value and I think he can play in space.  

But if the middle of the defense is this soft vs. teams that like to run, this looks like a similar problem to what we saw 3 or 4 years ago.  Matthews played a big part in solving that problem then.  I also think he's much more effective at getting to the QB when he's stunting or shooting gaps.  

This is where the Jake Ryan loss hurts. Jake-n-Blake had a phenomenal report with each other in which one played off the other and it worked. We don't have that right now, not even with Morrison or the quicker Korey Toomer. Burks is a rookie and brings a different element than Jake-n-Blake, but between his nagging shoulder injury and Jake's absence he cannot be as effective as he could possibly had been this year.

Archived