Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

3 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Are the Skins only 5th because they played us? 

No, not us.   Maybe because they played the Cardinals, the worst offense in football..  

Funny that you bring that up.  Are we as low as 6th because of the bad Matthews roughing call that let Minnesota get an extra 160+ yards and an extra 8 points.?

Gotta be consistent.  If you want to look for things that skew the data, you have to consider the stuff that doesn't fit your viewpoint as well.

Without the bad ref call, we give up fewer yds per game than the Bears, and their data includes Arizona as well.

This is not Dom Capers defense.

Packers are 17th in Defensive DVOA.  I think they were 11th or 12th last week.

Our STs DVOA took a huge hit, but I don't think any of us expect that to last given that it's all due to missed kicks.

Offense is 9th in DVOA.  The defense is still what is holding this team back right now.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Packers are 17th in Defensive DVOA.  I think they were 11th or 12th last week.

Our STs DVOA took a huge hit, but I don't think any of us expect that to last given that it's all due to missed kicks.

Offense is 9th in DVOA.  The defense is still what is holding this team back right now.

Our offense hasn't straight cost us a game yet. 1st half offense and special teams lost the Lions game together, refs were the Vikings but you could argue that was defense as well, and mostly defense for the Redskins, but the offense played their part in that loss. 

Just now, skibrett15 said:

The defense is still what is holding this team back right now.

24 points allowed off missed field goals, special teams "turnovers" and QB fumbles inside our own 30 yard line and you say that with an online equivalent to a straight face.

B damn S if you believe that after what we just saw on Sunday. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

24 points allowed off missed field goals, special teams "turnovers" and QB fumbles inside our own 30 yard line and you say that with an online equivalent to a straight face.

B damn S if you believe that after what we just saw on Sunday. 

Yeah.  Fact is that's all accounted for in the DVOA stats.

ST cost us the detroit game, but going forward we all expect that to improve.  Defense is flat average right now.  Best chance we have to win games at a greater clip than we are right now, would be to see some improvement from the Defense.  That's what I mean by "holding us back"

ST cost us the detroit game, but going forward we all expect that to improve.  Defense is flat average right now.  Best chance we have to win games at a greater clip than we are right now, would be to see some improvement from the Defense.  That's what I mean by "holding us back"

Special teams cost us game, no mention of two turnovers inside the 30, defense holding us back.  Got it. 

Our defense could be attributed to a single loss this year.  One.  The Redskins game. 

Refs cost us a tie (that the defense otherwise would have finished). 
Special teams and offensive turnovers/missed field goals cost us another game.
Defense gave up 31 points in their worst performance and we still would have lost if the defense had held Washington to 18 points.

In what world can you realistically say that defense is holding us back? 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Special teams cost us game, no mention of two turnovers inside the 30, defense holding us back.  Got it. 

Our defense could be attributed to a single loss this year.  One.  The Redskins game. 

Refs cost us a tie (that the defense otherwise would have finished). 
Special teams and offensive turnovers/missed field goals cost us another game.
Defense gave up 31 points in their worst performance and we still would have lost if the defense had held Washington to 18 points.

In what world can you realistically say that defense is holding us back? 

Because the Defense looks like the weakest unit going forward.  There's no obvious "missed 5 kicks" explanation to a DVOA ranking of 17.  Refs cost us a tie in a game the defense should have finished long before that and long after that.

Defense is the unit that is likely to be, based on past performance, be outclassed by many teams in the future.  The future.  Our remaining games.

I believe that the DVOA ranking of 17 is quite fair.  We are not a plus defense.  For all the horrible situations the defense has been put in by the offense or special teams, they also haven't done better than one would expect of an average defense for the given situation.  That's what that ranking means.

If the team wants to be a playoff contender rather than a fringe playoff team, the defense needs to improve.  It's the weakest unit after Mason Crosby.

Because the Defense looks like the weakest unit going forward. 

It's simply an unfair statement to say our defense holds us back.  Have we scored a single point on the opening drive offensively?  How do you expect our defense to perform well if they're constantly in bad field position in the first half? 

Do me a quick favor and look up the DVOA in second halves of games this year.  I'm sure the numbers will be VERY interesting.  After that, tell me how you don't factor in poor offensive production and special teams gaffs into the defense's performance.

Our defense is not holding us back.  A fair assessment might be, "Our defense is currently rated lower than our offense and special teams."  To say that our defense is holding us back is just a little off. 

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Because the Defense looks like the weakest unit going forward.  There's no obvious "missed 5 kicks" explanation to a DVOA ranking of 17.  Refs cost us a tie in a game the defense should have finished long before that and long after that.

Defense is the unit that is likely to be, based on past performance, be outclassed by many teams in the future.  The future.  Our remaining games.

I believe that the DVOA ranking of 17 is quite fair.  We are not a plus defense.  For all the horrible situations the defense has been put in by the offense or special teams, they also haven't done better than one would expect of an average defense for the given situation.  That's what that ranking means.

If the team wants to be a playoff contender rather than a fringe playoff team, the defense needs to improve.  It's the weakest unit after Mason Crosby.

I'm not sure what part of this take that I can actually agree with.

Starting with the Lions' game, the Packers' offense coughed up the ball which led directly to 17 points for the Lions directly off of turnovers.  They gave up 14 points that weren't directly tied to the Packers' offense.  And if Mason Crosby doesn't have the yips in this game, we're probably talking about a totally different discussion.  Our defense has been night and day better, and that's despite the fact that our EDGE haven't accumulated sacks.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure what part of this take that I can actually agree with.

Starting with the Lions' game, the Packers' offense coughed up the ball which led directly to 17 points for the Lions directly off of turnovers.  They gave up 14 points that weren't directly tied to the Packers' offense.  And if Mason Crosby doesn't have the yips in this game, we're probably talking about a totally different discussion.  Our defense has been night and day better, and that's despite the fact that our EDGE haven't accumulated sacks.

it's just that you're confusing night and day better than putrid for "obviously the better unit of the offense/defense"

no one is disputing that we lost the detroit game due to ST's.  Are you saying that the snaps and plays that happened in the detroit game don't have any meaning because the game happened to be decided by the offense?  If we had won the game and Crosby didn't have the yips, I'd still be in here commenting on how the Defense is average.  Because they are average.  And the best way for this team to improve would be if they were better than average.

Our edge not accumulating any sacks is a huge reason why we are an average defense and not a good one.  Generating more pressure from the DL and edge is the easiest way for this team to improve.

The point being: given the situations that the GB defense has faced this year and accounting for exactly everything that the offense did to put them in bad situations, the Packers defense is exactly league average.  Which is night and day better than Bottom 10 in the league.  Both are true.

Archived