Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

it's just that you're confusing night and day better than putrid for "obviously the better unit of the offense/defense"

no one is disputing that we lost the detroit game due to ST's.  Are you saying that the snaps and plays that happened in the detroit game don't have any meaning because the game happened to be decided by the offense?  If we had won the game and Crosby didn't have the yips, I'd still be in here commenting on how the Defense is average.  Because they are average.  And the best way for this team to improve would be if they were better than average.

Our edge not accumulating any sacks is a huge reason why we are an average defense and not a good one.  Generating more pressure from the DL and edge is the easiest way for this team to improve.

The point being: given the situations that the GB defense has faced this year and accounting for exactly everything that the offense did to put them in bad situations, the Packers defense is exactly league average.  Which is night and day better than Bottom 10 in the league.  Both are true.

Agree with this.

The defense is playing well for what should have been the expectation with children and senior citizens playing CB. Figure out the redzone coverages and this defense may even be better than average. That portion is fixable.

I'm not sure the edge talent is. If you're going to play B/C run gaps as opposed to C/D, and emphasize other positions in your pressure packages, don't expect the pressure numbers to be there unless guys are straight studs. 

Alternatively, if that's what you're doing, you don't have to pay the premiums for that spot. 

So Gareon Conley got 0 defensive snaps for Oakland yesterday.

Given the chance and the right price would you trade for him?

Not sure how many snaps he'd get with our secondary, but I think he'd be a nice piece.

Or if Gruden wanted to give us Bruce Irvin, that would be cool too.

49 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

So Gareon Clowney got 0 defensive snaps for Oakland yesterday.
Not sure how many snaps he'd get with our secondary, but I think he'd be a nice piece.

First - why's he getting no snaps?
Just looked at his stats and honestly, there's not much there for a 1st round (24th) pick.
Was he injured? Must have been.....I guess cause he only played in two games last year. What's his story?

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

So Gareon Conley got 0 defensive snaps for Oakland yesterday.

Or if Gruden wanted to give us Bruce Irvin, that would be cool too.

Can he play EDGE?

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

First - why's he getting no snaps?
Just looked at his stats and honestly, there's not much there for a 1st round (24th) pick.
Was he injured? Must have been.....I guess cause he only played in two games last year. What's his story?

Not super sure. Can't say I've seen a ton of him on film.
That being said, Gruden's saying "He's a young guy. He's only beginning his career." etc.

Sitting at 1-5, you'd think you'd throw him to the wolves and see how he does. 

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Can he play EDGE?

Sure, he just needs to spend some good ole quality time in Wisconsin and put on about 60 lbs ;)

24 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Not super sure. Can't say I've seen a ton of him on film.
That being said, Gruden's saying "He's a young guy. He's only beginning his career." etc.
Sitting at 1-5, you'd think you'd throw him to the wolves and see how he does.

I'm not sure its in OAKs best interests to be dumping all their talented players - presuming this guy is.
I recognize the name from draft workups and such - but he's not begun to have an NFL career. If OAK is looking to bale on the guy already - not sure he'd help us a great deal.

From Rotoworld:

Raiders CB Gareon Conley (hip) returned to practice Monday.
The first-round sophomore had been sidelined since suffering a hip injury on the first day of training camp. After missing almost all of his rookie season because of a shin injury, it was the worst possible start for Conley. Still, he has a shot to earn a starting job if he can stay healthy. Aug 13 - 12:47 PM

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not sure its in OAKs best interests to be dumping all their talented players - presuming this guy is.
I recognize the name from draft workups and such - but he's not begun to have an NFL career. If OAK is looking to bale on the guy already - not sure he'd help us a great deal.

From Rotoworld:

Raiders CB Gareon Conley (hip) returned to practice Monday.
The first-round sophomore had been sidelined since suffering a hip injury on the first day of training camp. After missing almost all of his rookie season because of a shin injury, it was the worst possible start for Conley. Still, he has a shot to earn a starting job if he can stay healthy. Aug 13 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, I went into the Raider forum to see how they felt about him / his performance. Gruden just seems to be handling this season so strangely lol.

I'll post whatever they share. I wouldn't want to necessarily give up a lot of capital for him as our secondary isn't as anemic as the pass rush, but the added depth couldn't hurt.

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Yeah, I went into the Raider forum to see how they felt about him / his performance. Gruden just seems to be handling this season so strangely lol.
I'll post whatever they share. I wouldn't want to necessarily give up a lot of capital for him as our secondary isn't as anemic as the pass rush, but the added depth couldn't hurt

Are they actually shopping the guy around? If not, its all an academic exercise.
And as said already - IF - they are actually shopping him around - that would give me pause to think.
Teams generally dont move on so fast from first rounders who can actually get it done at the NFL level.......and we could use help at S over CB IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Are they actually shopping the guy around? If not, its all an academic exercise.
And as said already - IF - they are actually shopping him around - that would give me pause to think.
Teams generally dont move on so fast from first rounders who can actually get it done at the NFL level.......and we could use help at S over CB IMO. 

No, I think they've only discussed shopping Cooper and Karl Joseph.
There is this quote from a 247 Sports article from yesterday, but it's probably just Internet fodder:
"Although now he is likely to spend the rest of the season on the sidelines unless the Raiders find a trade partner."

If I'm Oakland though, I don't move him unless an offer blows me away. I'm just spit-balling here with the trade deadline looming.

Conley has shown flashes of being a great corner. Gruden is just sitting all of Reggies guys it seems and wants them gone. I hope we don’t release Conley. He is a 2nd year corner who was CB2 in his draft. We could trade any of the ither 52 players on our roster, including Carr, and I would not be mad. 

Bruce Irvin, however, is probably the worst edge defender in the NFL. You don’t want him. Irvin looked ok last year cause Mack would get triple teamed. Bruce Irvin has little strength and will also find a way to committ a dumb penalty with the game on the line. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Conley has shown flashes of being a great corner. Gruden is just sitting all of Reggies guys it seems and wants them gone. I hope we don’t release Conley. He is a 2nd year corner who was CB2 in his draft. We could trade any of the ither 52 players on our roster, including Carr, and I would not be mad. 

Bruce Irvin, however, is probably the worst edge defender in the NFL. You don’t want him. Irvin looked ok last year cause Mack would get triple teamed. Bruce Irvin has little strength and will also find a way to committ a dumb penalty with the game on the line. 

Ah, so hes Clay Matthews Jr Jr

Thanks for the input, BayRaider.

23 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I'll tell ya.......
I'm not following OAK real up close and personal - and records-wise its not a season thats going well - but those post game interviews of Gruden and Carr from yesterday?
They had a real weird character and sound to me.

Carr's openly talking about guys that (apparently) didnt (or dont) GAS? Thats not the usual kinda comments you hear from....well, anybody - but especially not your starting QB. And Gruden has an "under siege" look and sound to him thats seems to be lacking any "we got this thing covered" feel to them.

After 5 games the Packers are 4th in Passing Yards Allowed per Game.  They are averaging 3.2 sacks per game which is good for 4th in the league.  Yes the Edge rushers aren't getting the numbers we want or would expect after years of Capers 3-4 Edge dependent rush, but the pass rush is not really a problem.  If the Packers got the call in the Minnesota game they'd be first in the league in passing yards per game and 3rd in Sacks per game.  I really think some of you are too down on this defense and the pass rush in general.

Archived