Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'll tell ya.......
I'm not following OAK real up close and personal - and records-wise its not a season thats going well - but those post game interviews of Gruden and Carr from yesterday?
They had a real weird character and sound to me.

Carr's openly talking about guys that (apparently) didnt (or dont) GAS? Thats not the usual kinda comments you hear from....well, anybody - but especially not your starting QB. And Gruden has an "under siege" look and sound to him thats seems to be lacking any "we got this thing covered" feel to them.

Gruden is doing a fresh rebuild. Our roster was really bad, worse than people think. 2016 Carr and Mack carried us to 12-4 more than two players probably ever have. Carr had 7 game winning TDs that year, an NFL Record, and Mack was getting a strip sack almost every game. Carr is also not the same QB anymore. Ever since his injury he sees phantom pressure. He also had one of the greatest pass protections in NFL History in 2016, as did Dak Prescott. 

Personally I didn’t want Gruden, I wanted Jim Schwartz. Any defense he touches turns elite and even though his personality is kind of bland I feel he has Bill Bellichick potential. However, either way, I still feel we needed a total rebuild (except the one player I would keep is Conley). I feel like Gruden is getting slaughtered way to much in the media and for some odd reason thought we had an ok roster when we didn’t. 

Anyways, you guys should can McCarthy (long overdue) and hire Schwartz end of the year. As long as he hires a solid OC. 

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Gruden is doing a fresh rebuild. Our roster was really bad, worse than people think. 2016 Carr and Mack carried us to 12-4 more than two players probably ever have. Carr had 7 game winning TDs that year, an NFL Record, and Mack was getting a strip sack almost every game. Carr is also not the same QB anymore. Ever since his injury he sees phantom pressure. He also had one of the greatest pass protections in NFL History in 2016, as did Dak Prescott. 

Personally I didn’t want Gruden, I wanted Jim Schwartz. Any defense he touches turns elite and even though his personality is kind of bland I feel he has Bill Bellichick potential. However, either way, I still feel we needed a total rebuild (except the one player I would keep is Conley). I feel like Gruden is getting slaughtered way to much in the media and for some odd reason thought we had an ok roster when we didn’t. 

Anyways, you guys should can McCarthy (long overdue) and hire Schwartz end of the year. As long as he hires a solid OC. 

I'm happy with Pettine so far, and hiring Schwartz would mean getting rid of him. So I'd rather hire an offensive coach or someone else, like Dave Toub, if we fire MM

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm happy with Pettine so far, and hiring Schwartz would mean getting rid of him. So I'd rather hire an offensive coach or someone else, like Dave Toub, if we fire MM

You never keep the same coordinators if you fire a HC. 

Only way McCarthy gets fired is if we miss the playoffs, and I don't see that happening with the Niners, Dolphins, Seahawks, Cardinals, Falcons, Bears, Jets and Lions on the schedule.  It is possible though.  Drop one more against a team we should beat and it could become a very tough chore to sneak into the playoffs with the Vikings and Bears also challenging for the division. 

If we don't make the playoffs, it is a complete and total reset and everything will change.  Maybe if Pettine had been with us for a few years and had success in spite of our other failures he'd stick around, but if we lose McCarthy, we're losing Pettine, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Only way McCarthy gets fired is if we miss the playoffs, and I don't see that happening with the Niners, Dolphins, Seahawks, Cardinals, Falcons, Bears, Jets and Lions on the schedule.  It is possible though.  Drop one more against a team we should beat and it could become a very tough chore to sneak into the playoffs with the Vikings and Bears also challenging for the division. 

If we don't make the playoffs, it is a complete and total reset and everything will change.  Maybe if Pettine had been with us for a few years and had success in spite of our other failures he'd stick around, but if we lose McCarthy, we're losing Pettine, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

I tend to agree but if they go with one of these hot shot new age OCs - someone like Deflippo - he could stick around. 

15 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

I tend to agree but if they go with one of these hot shot new age OCs - someone like Deflippo - he could stick around. 

Was gonna say this. If we hire a younger offensive minded HC, which I doubt the Packers would do, I think Pettine has a great shot to stay. He's not a flight risk due to him not wanting to be a HC again.

But if we fired MM I would think we go after another experienced guy. Just how I think the Board and Murphy would lean, because as far as we know Gute doesn't have control over HC, though he would obviously be involved. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Never thought I'd hear Jim Schwartz and Bill Bellichick in the same sentence..

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Was gonna say this. If we hire a younger offensive minded HC, which I doubt the Packers would do, I think Pettine has a great shot to stay. He's not a flight risk due to him not wanting to be a HC again.

But if we fired MM I would think we go after another experienced guy. Just how I think the Board and Murphy would lean, because as far as we know Gute doesn't have control over HC, though he would obviously be involved. 

If they do move on from MM - I hope that the board stays out of it. TT did pretty well with a young OC with no head coaching experience, I'd say. I'd rather have the guy architecting the roster to be fully bought in on the next coach rather than have someone forced on him. 

Just now, TheBitzMan said:
6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If they do move on from MM - I hope that the board stays out of it. TT did pretty well with a young OC with no head coaching experience, I'd say. I'd rather have the guy architecting the roster to be fully bought in on the next coach rather than have someone forced on him. 

Not disagreeing, and I'm sure if MM gets fired the power structure currently in place will be changed. But I'm not sure Murphy would want to give it up. 

A defensive minded head coach most likely changes the whole philosophy regardless of Rodgers or not. That's just the way most of those guys think. "Don't let the offense screw it up so my defense can shine." Be careful what you wish for.

I highly doubt we would ever go that direction as long as a guy like Rodgers is under contract

On 10/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, skibrett15 said:

it's just that you're confusing night and day better than putrid for "obviously the better unit of the offense/defense"

no one is disputing that we lost the detroit game due to ST's.  Are you saying that the snaps and plays that happened in the detroit game don't have any meaning because the game happened to be decided by the offense?  If we had won the game and Crosby didn't have the yips, I'd still be in here commenting on how the Defense is average.  Because they are average.  And the best way for this team to improve would be if they were better than average.

Our edge not accumulating any sacks is a huge reason why we are an average defense and not a good one.  Generating more pressure from the DL and edge is the easiest way for this team to improve.

The point being: given the situations that the GB defense has faced this year and accounting for exactly everything that the offense did to put them in bad situations, the Packers defense is exactly league average.  Which is night and day better than Bottom 10 in the league.  Both are true.

And we're doing that despite the fact that our pass rushers aren't turning those pressures into sacks?  Right now, we're 4th in opponents passing YPG, 4th in opponents YPG, 12th in opponents 3rd down %, and 8th in sacks.  This is all despite the fact that we're tied for 21st in turnovers.  So our defense is playing well despite the lack of sacks and turnovers.  Right now, our defense is playing at an NFL-caliber championship level IF our offense is playing up to their usual standards.  If the offense plays as well as it has in the past, we'd be probably talking about going into this game 4-1 instead of 2-2-1.  We lost to the Lions because of the ST and offense gaffes, and we probably beat Minnesota as well.

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

After 5 games the Packers are 4th in Passing Yards Allowed per Game.  They are averaging 3.2 sacks per game which is good for 4th in the league.  Yes the Edge rushers aren't getting the numbers we want or would expect after years of Capers 3-4 Edge dependent rush, but the pass rush is not really a problem.  If the Packers got the call in the Minnesota game they'd be first in the league in passing yards per game and 3rd in Sacks per game.  I really think some of you are too down on this defense and the pass rush in general.

Totally. The offense and ST are the underachievers so far this year.

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Totally. The offense and ST are the underachievers so far this year.

It isn't that the offense is underachieving that much either.  7th in yds/game.  Turnovers are the biggest issue. 8 in 5 games.   Officiating hasn't helped.  The refs cost the Packers two games.  The obvious Minnesota game and the muffed punt call giving the Lions a TD.  This team can turn things around in a hurry.    

Archived