Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

PPG is the only defensive stat that matters

2 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

There is no only one stat that matters other than Super Bowl victories in a season

Almost all stats 'matter' to some degree. They combine to tell you what is going on, assuming you interpret them in an intelligent way.

PPG can be broken down different ways. How many of the PPG were offensive screwups, how many penalties/interceptions/turnovers/sacks were a part of that, did ST make a contribution to the score, what was the distribution of points each quarter, or a teams momentum......all parts of the greater puzzle. Equally, SBs don't tell you much about NEXT season, or the cap, or how many players are on the way up, or declining, they only tell you about a level of success at a point in time.

Big picture stuff has many details embedded.

Good fumble luck tonight and a helluva play by Kevin King.

Would be exciting to get JA back along with giving Breeland a shot to replace Tramon as the 3rd corner.  Josh Jackson doesn't seem to be ready just quite yet.

I'd like to see Tramon given a chance over Brice at S, or platooned with Brice/Josh Jones depending on down and distance.  Can't see this team being successful with such a clear weakness at that position.  Every team will have deep passing plays designed to pick on Brice.  Brice is almost unplayable vs LAR.

Fackrell's best game came in the Defense's worst game.

I think we're not taking into consideration the NFL when judging Pettine's defense.  

Last year, we'd be ranked like 24th in points allowed right now.  We're still 15th in the NFL...

The NFL took another step towards Arena League scoring this year, and our defense might still be good.  Not great, but good when you use perspective.

We've also been without at least our second best corner the past two games.

Hooe might not be lost.

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think we're not taking into consideration the NFL when judging Pettine's defense.  

Last year, we'd be ranked like 24th in points allowed right now.  We're still 15th in the NFL...

The NFL took another step towards Arena League scoring this year, and our defense might still be good.  Not great, but good when you use perspective.

We've also been without at least our second best corner the past two games.

Hooe might not be lost.

It can pretty much only get better even if we start allowing more points.  That was CJ Beathard, Cousins, Stafford, Josh Allen, Trubisky, and Alex Smith...  

Not exactly a murderer's row of opponents.  I think it's been much worse than 15th in the NFL

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

It can pretty much only get better even if we start allowing more points.  That was CJ Beathard, Cousins, Stafford, Josh Allen, Trubisky, and Alex Smith...  

Not exactly a murderer's row of opponents.  I think it's been much worse than 15th in the NFL

Dvoa accounts for that.

Feel like I know a guy who just said that ;)

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Dvoa accounts for that.

Feel like I know a guy who just said that ;)

yeah.  it's exactly why we at 22 there and 15 in points.  Sometimes that's boring to say dozens of times though.

Also stafford is a top QB.  Also Julio Jones is the best WR in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing that one Clay Matthews commercial makes me disappointed in Pettine.  If Pettine had impressed upon Clay the need to worry about his chest, legs, shoulders and triceps half as much as Clay worries about how his biceps look, I think he might have more sacks than Fackrell at this point. 

Really seriously though, I hate how obsessed Clay is with his biceps.  He doesn't even use them in the game.  He's not pulling OL, he's trying to shoot in and bend more than he's using any pulling motions out there. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Seeing that one Clay Matthews commercial makes me disappointed in Pettine.  If Pettine had impressed upon Clay the need to worry about his chest, legs, shoulders and triceps half as much as Clay worries about how his biceps look, I think he might have more sacks than Fackrell at this point. 

Really seriously though, I hate how obsessed Clay is with his biceps.  He doesn't even use them in the game.  He's not pulling OL, he's trying to shoot in and bend more than he's using any pulling motions out there. 

I really feel like you're grasping here. 

Really hate how this fanbase rips on every player for perceived personal failings and it goes beyond just the departed guys. 

Rodgers dates somebody and half the fan base is saying he's too focused on her and not focused enough on football. 

Jordy Nelson was apparently baseball sliding all over the field last year, yet nobody can show me a gif of it happening more than once. 

Mike Daniels says he watches anime and people make snide comments that he's soft or anti social because of it.

Clay Matthews is in commercials and people comment that he's more obsessed with his body than football.

AJ Hawk I feel like did nothing wrong and was attacked for everything from being too much of a meat head to being too much of an overthinker and soft.

HHCD is called soft for a missed tackle on Todd Gurley rather than Gurley just making guys miss.

Ted Thompson got called cheap all the time even though the Packers were spending up to the cap.

Half the board can't even criticize McCarthy's coaching without calling him fat and making it personal. 

I just don't get why guys have to be criticized not just for their play on the field, but also for some perceived character flaws that fans know nothing about. I don't understand it. 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Really hate how this fanbase rips on every player for perceived personal failings and it goes beyond just the departed guys. 

Rodgers dates somebody and half the fan base is saying he's too focused on her and not focused enough on football. 

Jordy Nelson was apparently baseball sliding all over the field last year, yet nobody can show me a gif of it happening more than once. 

Mike Daniels says he watches anime and people make snide comments that he's soft or anti social because of it.

Clay Matthews is in commercials and people comment that he's more obsessed with his body than football.

AJ Hawk I feel like did nothing wrong and was attacked for everything from being too much of a meat head to being too much of an overthinker and soft.

HHCD is called soft for a missed tackle on Todd Gurley rather than Gurley just making guys miss.

Ted Thompson got called cheap all the time even though the Packers were spending up to the cap.

Half the board can't even criticize McCarthy's coaching without calling him fat and making it personal. 

I just don't get why guys have to be criticized not just for their play on the field, but also for some perceived character flaws that fans know nothing about. I don't understand it. 

Well for the knowledge based fan he/she is going to go find evidence and support for their thoughts. For the casual fan it's just easier and relates to the topic of conversation. Agree with you AG not sure what AR's g/f has to do with his play ( affected Colin Kapernick though :). The easier softer way is alive and well.

Name calling makes it easier to hate someone. If someone doesn't like MM it's makes it easier to target him once he's fat mac and not a human being and one of Green Bays most successful coaches. Just my thoughts on it not that it matters.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I really feel like you're grasping here. 

I thought you knew me enough to know I was joking.  Even though Clay isn't all that great right now, he's still one of my favorite Packers ever and I'm one of the few who doesn't rip him after every single play. 

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's demonization.  It's running rampant in just about every part of society right now and is only exacerbated by it being a midterm election year.  You probably can't go more than 10 minutes on the tube without it popping up.  Don't get so emotional, it says more about the poster than the subject of the post.  R-E-L-A-X.  HHCD is as soft in Washington as he was here.;)

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Forgot TT being senile

Archived