Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

On 3/21/2018 at 6:10 PM, SSG said:

There is a large gap between "serviceable" and what we've got.  Last year we had more talent in the secondary and had something that was a long ways form serviceable.  While I  don't think you need "elite" play, you do need quality play.  With a bunch of practice squad caliber CBs, we have a lot of work to do at the CB position.  

I think that goes without saying.  But health in 2016 goes a LONG way towards even halfway productive play.  We literally had an UDFA play as our #1 corner.  Against Julio Jones no less.  Would I love to have Marcus Peters or Darrelle Revis playing at corner?  Absolutely.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:20 PM, CWood21 said:

I think you're making the point against your own argument.  You don't need elite CB play, you need serviceable play.

Loosely paraphrasing Colin Cowherd here: A great pass rush masks a questionable secondary.

From the coaches meeting

McCarthy said they will continue to move Clay Matthews around Mike Pettine's new defense. Still classifies Clay as a LB. They are not going to just have him at ILB or OLB.

McCarthy was asked about Josh Jones. He said they probably tried to do too much with him last year. They are going to start him in the safety room and then put him in different packages.

McCarthy likes the addition of @mowilkerson "He’s definitely an inside force with the pass rush but his ability to play up-and-down the line with different techniques is something that’s very impressive."

McCarthy spoke very highly of @KentrellBrice. Said he's been back in the building working out. "I look for him to fight for a starting position.”

If you note the comment above from MM about Clay Matthews moving around....here's more on Pettine's previous defenses:

"I don't want to pigeon-hole Pettine because I think he'll do whatever his personnel dictates, but he has a reputation for playing his defensive linemen in an under look and using the strong side linebacker as his defense's premier pass rusher. It gives the appearance of a 3-4 with the strong side linebacker opposite the tight end, which means the strong side linebacker will move to the right and left sides of the formation. The bottom line is Packers defensive linemen can expect to be used more often in a gap-control scheme, which means they'll be free to penetrate and disrupt, instead of anchoring and holding the point. Muhammad Wilkerson can blend those two styles. " 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:50 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because if I get arrested for trespassing in Lambeau a second time, I'll be banned for life. Security made that very clear. 

I sell construction industry products that are installed throughout all of Lambeau. The head of maintaince for Lambeau is a great guy. Everytime I’m there he gives me the most amazing walk through. 1-2 times a year. It really is an amazing place. 

Actually have a meeting with him next week.

Side note: Took some customers to the Dallas game last year...the most impressive building I’ve ever seen. Blew my mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lot of positive stuff I’m reading. Reading about taking extra measures to trying to eliminate mental errors and missed assignments really has me excited. I really think that was a significant issue with our unit for years, moreso us than other teams.

The further and further we get away from 2017 the more and more we are going to realize how many years this team wasted under Dom. He did some good things but this organization has been stale since the Seahawks collapse.. needed a change, desperately.

Archived