Jump to content
squire12

Mike Pettine Defense

Recommended Posts

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

Forgot TT being senile

Somebody find that gif/video of Ted Thompson falling asleep behind Dean Lowry in Dean's rookie year before that horn went off and scared both of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Pettine is doing a really solid job in his first year as Packers defensive coordinator.

There have definitely been gaps in most every game, but the overall product looks so much improved in just one year.

Looking forward to see what the D does the rest of the season and If Gute can add a playmaker or two, especially at OLBer, I think this D could really be a top 10 unit next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to see what this defense can do with King, Alexander and Jackson at corner with Josh Jones playing a safety position.  Those are some good football players there and that should result in the QB holding the ball just a tick longer.  The pass rush will come.  Loved how we were stunting a little this week.  For all that Clay isn't doing, I did see him take out 2-3 guys on a couple plays that really helped free up other rushers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:02 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Really hate how this fanbase rips on every player for perceived personal failings and it goes beyond just the departed guys. 

Rodgers dates somebody and half the fan base is saying he's too focused on her and not focused enough on football. 

Jordy Nelson was apparently baseball sliding all over the field last year, yet nobody can show me a gif of it happening more than once. 

Mike Daniels says he watches anime and people make snide comments that he's soft or anti social because of it.

Clay Matthews is in commercials and people comment that he's more obsessed with his body than football.

AJ Hawk I feel like did nothing wrong and was attacked for everything from being too much of a meat head to being too much of an overthinker and soft.

HHCD is called soft for a missed tackle on Todd Gurley rather than Gurley just making guys miss.

Ted Thompson got called cheap all the time even though the Packers were spending up to the cap.

Half the board can't even criticize McCarthy's coaching without calling him fat and making it personal. 

I just don't get why guys have to be criticized not just for their play on the field, but also for some perceived character flaws that fans know nothing about. I don't understand it. 

True, but its basically fact of life that every "group" or fanbase has some D-bags/idiots in it.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Mike Pettine is doing a really solid job in his first year as Packers defensive coordinator.

There have definitely been gaps in most every game, but the overall product looks so much improved in just one year.

Looking forward to see what the D does the rest of the season and If Gute can add a playmaker or two, especially at OLBer, I think this D could really be a top 10 unit next year.

I mean, depending on how you classify that, the defense has been top 10 this year in ypg.

Top 15 in PPG. 

Top 7 in 3rd down conversation defense.

Tied for 1st in sacks. Wha? Packers have more Sacks than Chicago, so Fackrell>> Mack (http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks) 

Middle of the Pack for turnovers

On a side note, Packers the least penalized defense in the league. Would never have guessed that.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

I like Pettine.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it before, but I'll say it again because I think a lot of people are trying to ignore it...

The Packers defense held the Dolphins to their second lowest point total on the season.
They were also one of only two teams to hold the Rams under 30 points. 
Only team to shut out the Bills.

We are currently 17th in points allowed after playing three of the top 10 scoring offenses.

All that with frequently injured defensive backs, Wilkerson being on IR and getting next to nothing out of our highest paid defensive players. 

Reason number 147 not to fire McCarthy because it's a pipe dream to believe any new head coach would keep Pettine. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

They were also one of only two teams to hold the Rams under 30 points. 

While true, also a bit misleading. Gurley laid down on the final drive so the game would end.  Packers gave up a TD that play, they were just bailed out by Gurley's intelligent play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

While true, also a bit misleading. Gurley laid down on the final drive so the game would end.  Packers gave up a TD that play, they were just bailed out by Gurley's intelligent play.

You can say that all you want, and I can say the Rams don't have the ball there at all if Montgomery didn't do what he did.

I knew somebody was going to bring up Gurley not going into the end zone.  That's ridiculous, and you know it. 

What Montgomery did does not fit into the "Every team has that happen" category.  It was that boneheaded. 

I literally knew somebody was going to say that.  Just like every single time I bring up the fact that the Lions scored 17 points on 22 yards gained, crickets.  Just crickets. 

Gurley laying down and not scoring a TD does NOT make that game misleading.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

 

Reason number 147 not to fire McCarthy because it's a pipe dream to believe any new head coach would keep Pettine. 

 

I think most HC candidates would strongly consider keeping Pettine. They'd be dumb not to. It happened this off season in Chicago so I wouldn't say a pipe dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could Jaire set the rookie record for passes defensed despite missing games? I"m note sure where to find that stat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Outpost31 said:

You can say that all you want, and I can say the Rams don't have the ball there at all if Montgomery didn't do what he did.

I knew somebody was going to bring up Gurley not going into the end zone.  That's ridiculous, and you know it. 

What Montgomery did does not fit into the "Every team has that happen" category.  It was that boneheaded. 

I literally knew somebody was going to say that.  Just like every single time I bring up the fact that the Lions scored 17 points on 22 yards gained, crickets.  Just crickets. 

Gurley laying down and not scoring a TD does NOT make that game misleading.  

Didn't say the game was misleading. I understand fully that what Montgomery did was not a typical boneheaded play. Just thought context was important when stating the Packers were 1 of 2 teams to hold them under 30. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

Didn't say the game was misleading. I understand fully that what Montgomery did was not a typical boneheaded play. Just thought context was important when stating the Packers were 1 of 2 teams to hold them under 30. 

Yeah, full context is important.  The defense did their job to hold the Rams under 30.  It's as simple as that.  Any context of Gurley lying down is washed away with the additional context of Montgomery Montgomering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Could Jaire set the rookie record for passes defensed despite missing games? I"m note sure where to find that stat.

Stats . com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, full context is important.  The defense did their job to hold the Rams under 30.  It's as simple as that.  Any context of Gurley lying down is washed away with the additional context of Montgomery Montgomering. 

Agree to disagree. The Rams forced Monty to fumble. They earned the opportunity to score again. They also earned that last TD but chose to instead take a quicker finish to the game. I am not saying the Packers defense didn't do a solid job that game. I just think it's misleading to use the final score as a measuring stick for this defense. The Rams chose not to score over 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×