Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

2 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Not for QBs like Beathard and Alex Smith.  

Other than two stat padders against Brock Osweiller and Josh Allen, this has been a horrible unit and a downgrade from the one the year prior.

Nope it’s not.

Pettine’s defense made the critical stops all along the season to give ball back to Offense when needed.

4 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

I'm not giving gold stars to a defense giving up 30 PPG 

They were not gold.

They are just like those Patriots years who won the SB with Avg defense. All Pats used to do is make critical stops when needed, adjust the game plan when not working and give the ball back to Offense.

Its the defense that can get the work done when offense is clicking on atleast 3/4th of cylinders.

Under Mike Pettine’s scheme -

1) Tackling has improved leaps and bounds.

2) Young players are really gelling well and playing with confidence so there’s a good coaching happening behind the scenes.

3) Making lot of in-game adjustments.

Yep they are giving up lot of  points, But you need to know 

1) They were not getting any 50-50 calls In favour of them this year. Refs are really screwing our defense.

2) They had brutal schedule all over the place. 

3) Zero pass rush for top 2 paid defense players.

4) This is the team built on offense and offense is very bad. 

On 11/14/2018 at 7:36 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

For anybody that thinks I'm full of **** when I say that the Packers aren't emphasizing the OLBs for sacks. Here are the 3rd and longer than 1 against the Patriots

So Fackrell is up to 8 sacks and on pace to finish the season with 13.

Pettine's last season as a DC was in Buffalo in 2013. That year, edge rushers Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes finished with 13 and 10 sacks, respectively.

Meanwhile, under Dom's allegedly friendlier scheme with regard to OLBs getting sacks, Nick Perry only reached 8 or more sacks once in six seasons.

And Clay Matthews has not had 8 sacks as an outside linebacker in any season since 2012 (he had 11 in 2014 mostly while playing inside).

Could it be, even if Pettine's scheme does not emphasize sacks for OLBs to the degree Capers' scheme did, that the real issue is not the scheme being run but rather that Perry and Clay are just not that good at rushing the passer?

2 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Not for QBs like Beathard and Alex Smith.  

Other than two stat padders against Brock Osweiller and Josh Allen, this has been a horrible unit and a downgrade from the one the year prior.

Can't believe we're wasting Fackrell's prime with a DC like Pettine.

4 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

So Fackrell is up to 8 sacks and on pace to finish with the season with 13.

Pettine's last season as a DC was in Buffalo in 2013. That year, edge rushers Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes finished with 13 and 10 sacks, respectively.

Meanwhile, under Dom's allegedly friendlier scheme with regard to OLBs getting sacks, Nick Perry only reached 8 or more sacks once in six seasons.

And Clay Matthews has not have 8 sacks as an outside linebacker at any since 2012 (he had 11 in 2014 mostly while playing inside).

Could it be that, even if Pettine's scheme does not emphasize sacks for OLBs to the degree Capers' scheme did, the real issue is not the scheme being run but rather that Perry and Clay are just not that good at rushing the passer?

Perry needs to be put on IR. His ankle hasn't been right since offseason surgery, and he's reinsured it at least once this season. He can't play on one foot. Right now he's just taking up a roster spot.There's got to be somebody somewhere who can make a better contribution. I predict if they lose to Minnesota, Perry will be IRed. Season over.

2 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Can we all take a moment to see this post?  See it, read it, learn from it, understand it.  This is the same person that told me I don't know what an open receiver looks like and he's trying to tell us this defense is a downgrade from last year. 

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Can we all take a moment to see this post?  See it, read it, learn from it, understand it.  This is the same person that told me I don't know what an open receiver looks like and he's trying to tell us this defense is a downgrade from last year. 

the defense is SO much better than last year. 

Daniels expected to miss a few weeks with his foot injury. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/mike-daniels-expected-to-miss-time-with-foot-injury/

Wilkerson is already on IR.

Kevin King has been down and may remain down.

Breeland left the Seattle game (again) with a groin.

Brice has been out and may remain out. Raven Green left the Seattle game with an injury. HHCD as we know is gone.

Perry did not play on Thursday, meaning only 3 OLBs played, and we don't yet know the extent of his injury,.

Pettine is going to have his hands full trying to get production out of his depleted defense next week in Minnesota.

Archived