Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

19 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Pettine did face a lot of adversity, and didn't have the chance to make the defense in his image outside of wilkerson (who went down early)

BUT, 2018 was a complete and utter failure by the defense.  The defense and special teams were the biggest reasons for overall team failure.

Personnel wise, going forward this is really Kenny Clark and Jaire Alexander and a bunch of role players or injury prone guys like Perry/King.  A huge amount of cap space will need to be devoted to rebuilding this defense in Pettine's image.

we need immediate veteran help at EDGE and Safety if we have a prayer at a SB quality defense.

We also need internal improvement at CB, but have to bank on that and not expend additional resources (other than Breeland potentially). Need King healthy, Jaire to improve, Jackson to improve, Tramon to leave town and hope Breeland is a player.

A defense featuring Clark, Flowers, King, Alexander and Earl Thomas could be enough.

Couple of Pettine quotes via Packers.com

“Everything is being built essentially from scratch,” Pettine said. “And you already start Year 2 well ahead of where you would have been in Year 1. So of course, naturally, most people would want to feel like, ‘Hey, I started something, I want to finish it.’” 

“Just from a personal standpoint, just the year this has been, getting back in, and the enjoyment being around the players, … being around the coaching staff, building a plan, going out and practicing it, teaching it, implementing it … it's what I love to do,” Pettine said, “and I don't know if I necessarily see that changing anytime soon.”

• 2 weeks later...

What would be nice for this defense would be if Josh Jones had a comparable unexpected jump to what Fackrell had in terms of improving his safety play. Holding out hope for him I go back to what Palmy said where he felt Jones could be a guy who it takes awhile For everything to click.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

What would be nice for this defense would be if Josh Jones had a comparable unexpected jump to what Fackrell had in terms of improving his safety play. Holding out hope for him I go back to what Palmy said where he felt Jones could be a guy who it takes awhile For everything to click.

Yep. Agreed. He's shown plenty of flashes, just think the game needed to really slow down for him.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Earl Thomas is a pipe dream. He's going to Dallas

Yeah I've been thinking Gute will target him... but unless we offer a higher contract than Dallas, I think he's going home to Texas.

Question about Pettine's system: How huge is coverage ability for OLBers in Pettine's system?

A buddy and myself have a bit of a disagreement dealing with OLBers and what the scheme asks them to do.

My buddy claims that any potential OLB draft prospect needs to have good coverage potential as Pettine has asked all the OLBers (Matthews, Perry, Gilbert and Fackrell) to coverage, a ton! ... he also claims he recorded all the games and rewatched them many times. So my buddies thought is that any high round potential OLB must be able to drop into coverage or he doesn't fit the scheme that well.

I haven't recorded or re-watched any games, but I remember Fackrell and Matthews dropping into coverage at times, but I don't remember seeing Perry nor Gilbert drop into coverage much, if at all. But I did notice the OLBers (except Fackrell) bounced to the inside of the OTs, and bull rush, taking the OT will them, giving a blitzing DB a free rush on the outside. Also until he was hurt they seemed to use Wilkerson at edge some, and then when Wilkerson and Perry were injured, used Daniels at edge a game until he was injured. So my thought is that Pettine uses them in different ways (some drop into coverage (Fackrell), others don't (Perry).... while some are asked to bounce into a bull rush on the inside (Perry) and some don't (Fackrell). And it's been rumored the Pettine prefers bigger 4-3 DE types as edge rushers, so I don't think coverage ability is huge for OLB in Pettine's system if they can play the edge and bounce into the middle, bull rush up the OG.

What are other thoughts, on this? Obviously potential Packers OLB draft picks need to be able to play the edge, but how important is coverage ability, vs just being versatile being able to go up against the OT and OG depending on what the play call is. 

38 minutes ago, Beast said:

Question about Pettine's system: How huge is coverage ability for OLBers in Pettine's system?

A buddy and myself have a bit of a disagreement dealing with OLBers and what the scheme asks them to do.

My buddy claims that any potential OLB draft prospect needs to have good coverage potential as Pettine has asked all the OLBers (Matthews, Perry, Gilbert and Fackrell) to coverage, a ton! ... he also claims he recorded all the games and rewatched them many times. So my buddies thought is that any high round potential OLB must be able to drop into coverage or he doesn't fit the scheme that well.

I haven't recorded or re-watched any games, but I remember Fackrell and Matthews dropping into coverage at times, but I don't remember seeing Perry nor Gilbert drop into coverage much, if at all. But I did notice the OLBers (except Fackrell) bounced to the inside of the OTs, and bull rush, taking the OT will them, giving a blitzing DB a free rush on the outside. Also until he was hurt they seemed to use Wilkerson at edge some, and then when Wilkerson and Perry were injured, used Daniels at edge a game until he was injured. So my thought is that Pettine uses them in different ways (some drop into coverage (Fackrell), others don't (Perry).... while some are asked to bounce into a bull rush on the inside (Perry) and some don't (Fackrell). And it's been rumored the Pettine prefers bigger 4-3 DE types as edge rushers, so I don't think coverage ability is huge for OLB in Pettine's system if they can play the edge and bounce into the middle, bull rush up the OG.

What are other thoughts, on this? Obviously potential Packers OLB draft picks need to be able to play the edge, but how important is coverage ability, vs just being versatile being able to go up against the OT and OG depending on what the play call is. 

Strong Side Edge or Weak Side Edge? They're too different spots.

For reference, in the first half of the Bears game, OLBs dropped 4 times (Clay 3, Gilbert 1). The two drops that didn't occur in the pressure package came from the strong side linebacker spot who also had Wilkerson lined up outside the tackle. 

Coverage is nice, but it's not a priority. The edge guys need to be able to hang in run D with as much as we keep two safeties back. 

3 hours ago, Beast said:

If you pass on a guy who you grade a dominant pass rusher because he can't cover, you probably aren't going to last long as a GM. If you're upset at your GM because he got you a dominant pass rusher who can't cover, you're probably not going to last long as a DC.

Run fits are more important for me with Pettine than dropping back. He asks his EDGE players to do more than just hold an edge, it's why I have strong reservations about Polite and Burns (though Burns has a frame to add bulk). 

Archived