Jordy Nelson and Boyd Dowler Have Many Similarities

Bob Fox

With the Green Bay Packers recently releasing long-time great wide receiver Jordy Nelson, it got me thinking about who was comparable to No. 87 in the annals of team history. The first player who jumped into my head was Boyd Dowler.

Both players had size and speed working for them. Nelson is 6’3″, 215 pounds, while when Dowler played in the 1960s for the Packers, he went 6’5″, 225 pounds. Plus, both Nelson and Dowler had a track backgrounds.

Both Nelson and Dowler were early draft picks by the Packers. Nelson was a second-round pick in the 2008 NFL draft and was the 36th player taken overall, while Dowler was a third-round selection in the 1959 NFL draft and was the 25th player taken overall (there were only 12 teams in the NFL back then).

Nelson went to one Pro Bowl in 2014, plus was named second-team All-Pro that same season.

Dowler went to two Pro Bowls (1965 & 1967) and was named second-team All-Pro in 1967. Dowler was also named the 1959 NFL Rookie of the Year by UPI and was also on the All-Decade team of the 1960s.

In terms of the Green Bay record book, both Nelson and Dowler appear prominently in the receiving records for the Packers.

To read the rest of the story, please go to:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/green-bay-packers-jordy-nelson-and-boyd-dowler-have-many-similarities/

Whoah, I did not know Dowler was that big: 6'5", 225 pounds. And it says in the article that Max McGee was 6'3" and 215 pounds--exact same dimensions as Jordy Nelson. I don't think there were many receivers that big in the 1960s, though I could be wrong. Thanks for the link to a good article. 

28 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Max was 6'3" and 203 lbs.  Boyd is 6'5" and 220 in his playing days.  He is still around scouting for the Falcons at age 80!  I didn't know those 2 gentlemen were that big either.

Gotta love your job to still do out at 80! Good for him, it definitely makes for a better life. 

What are the similarities?

You just listed a bunch of differences. 

+++

Also, Nelson is not a guy who is a consistently good playoff performer. 

Nelson's playoff stats extrpolated out to a 16 game season has a line of: 66/822/6

He's been dissapointing in the playoffs if anything. Part of that has to do with having a lot of his games played in the 2010 season, and another part is getting stuck on Richard Sherman, but that's not the playoff line of a standout. 

Archived