Post trade and FA mock

rampantjet

So things have certainly changed.  I love the aggressive trade up, the only thing I don't like is that it isn't as fun to do a mock because we have less picks to fantasize about.

Already Signed:

Teddy B

McCown

Spencer Long

Crowell

Williamson

Kevin Pierre-Louis

Trumaine

Mo Claiborne

Pennel

Remaining Cuts:

Hack- Duh

Petty- See above

Devin Smith- Who cares

Skrine-  Needs to go, I wish the Jets didn't have a random crush on this guy

Remaining Signing:

Ross Cockrell CB-  One of the better slot CB's in the league.  Had 3 picks last year, and is longer and better than Buster.  We sign him for 6 mill per which is what we saved from cutting Buster, this is a win win.

Jordan Matthews WR-  We need young weapons.  Will turn 26 in July and has 2 seasons in the 800's and 1 997 yard season, as well as being a nice red zone target.  We aren't going to be able to get the single top notch superstar WR right now for our young QB, but we can at least get as many good WR's who can win routes to put around him.  A top 4 of Robby, Q, Kearse, and Matthews is pretty solid throughout. 5 mill for 1 year prove it

Eric Ebron TE-  If Leggett works out then we can do some really interesting things out of 2 TE sets.  If not then Ebron is at least a proven receiver from the TE position.  Dude hasn't even turned 25 yet and has 2 500+ and a 700+ yard season under his belt.  He can create separation, and that is all we need from him 7 mill per for 3 years

After these signings we still have a shade under 23 million in space.  The crazy part is that we these contracts all on the books we still have 93.3 mill in cap space next year.  For everyone worried about those 2nd round picks and not being able to surround our young QB with talent, that 93 million is going to be pretty amazing to have next year when we are a more desirable location due to actually having a QB.

Draft:

1. Browns-  Sam Darnold QB-  The talk of the Browns taking Barkley at one were a little absurd to me, and now that we have traded up the Browns fear that the Giants will also trade up and 2 QB's will go off the board before they get to pick at 4 if they take RB 1st.  I really hope that the Browns fall in love with Allen, and feel like since they have Tyrod they can sit him to learn for a while but we aren't that lucky.

2. Giants-  Saquon Barkley RB-  I think they get some serious trade offers from the Bills but they decide that they love Barkley that much.  Even if the Bills do trade up to #2 it doesn't change the outcome for the Jets as the rumors are that they Bills love Allen.

3. Jets- Josh Rosen QB-  Man we get our pick of Baker and Rosen.  It really could go either way, and I will be happy either way.  Part of me thinks it will be Baker because we know that the Bronco's have been all over Baker and we knew we would have to get ahead of them to get him.  But Rosen just seems like who it will be to me at this moment.  It could change at any time really. 

3rd rounder- Uchenna Nwosu Edge-  It is the main position we need on our D.  I really think if we can score even a 10 sack guy at the edge at some point we have ourselves a top 5 defense.  Nwosu is a better pass rushing prospect than Jenkins or Mauldin.  He bends the edge better than both, and has amazing instincts for batting down balls.  He averaged just under 1 batted ball per game last year which is nuts.

4th rounder- Austin Corbett O line-  I put O line because this kid played LT in college at Nevada, but projects more as a guard or center in the NFL.  Has the movement skills to play ZBS as he ran a 5.15 and had one of the better short shuttles of the O linemen.  Took over for Joel Bitonio after he left for the pro's and he made a good transition to the league.  I will not rest until our O line is solid.

5th rounder-  Royce Freeman RB-  I am down to take a RB every single year, eventually you'll hit big on one.  Kid has the size at 234, and the athleticism to go with it, he just needs to play a bit tougher.  Can catch the ball already.  Has the tools just need to hope it works out, which is all you are gonna get in the 5th anyway.

6th rounder- Alex Cappa O line-  Also played OT in college but might not have the arm length to do it in the pro's 32 5/8 inch arms.  But the kid plays like someone stole something from him and beat the crap outta some guys in the 1 on 1's in the senior bowl.  Can pull and shows decent movement skills.  Between these two O line picks we just hope at least 1 turns into a legit starter, which is not abnormal for this range of the draft.  Falls because he played at Humbold State.

7th rounder- Ray Ray McCloud WR- WR from Clemson they are generally good.   Ok lets be honest I just want us to have a guy named Ray Ray on the squad.  

I love how you guys constantly omit Allen because you don't like him lol. We get our pick of Rosen or Mayfield as if Allen won't be in consideration and also I doubt Macc is trading up to get Mayfield. From reports Darnold, Rosen and Allen are the clear cut upper echelon.

As for the draft I think I'd pass on late round RB and WR especially if you sign Matthews, maybe at a 3-4 DE to develop. I like the investment in the O-Line though mid round picks aren't always impactful but if one of them work out then good. Nwosu could be this years Yannick Ngakoue, he actually measured better at the combine in terms of size and explosion.

So overall if we get a Franchise QB, Situational Pass Rusher, Starting O-Line and a Developmental D-Linemen I'd be okay with that.

I omit Allen because I don't think he has as high of a chance to be good as the other 3.  I also would like to think that Macc has learned his lesson about QB's with accuracy problems from Hack.  Now I think Allen has more talent than Hack but some of the same issues.  

9 hours ago, rampantjet said:

So things have certainly changed.  I love the aggressive trade up, the only thing I don't like is that it isn't as fun to do a mock because we have less picks to fantasize about.

Already Signed:

Teddy B

McCown

Spencer Long

Crowell

Williamson

Kevin Pierre-Louis

Trumaine

Mo Claiborne

Pennel

Remaining Cuts:

Hack- Duh

Petty- See above

Devin Smith- Who cares

Skrine-  Needs to go, I wish the Jets didn't have a random crush on this guy

Remaining Signing:

Ross Cockrell CB-  One of the better slot CB's in the league.  Had 3 picks last year, and is longer and better than Buster.  We sign him for 6 mill per which is what we saved from cutting Buster, this is a win win.

Jordan Matthews WR-  We need young weapons.  Will turn 26 in July and has 2 seasons in the 800's and 1 997 yard season, as well as being a nice red zone target.  We aren't going to be able to get the single top notch superstar WR right now for our young QB, but we can at least get as many good WR's who can win routes to put around him.  A top 4 of Robby, Q, Kearse, and Matthews is pretty solid throughout. 5 mill for 1 year prove it

Eric Ebron TE-  If Leggett works out then we can do some really interesting things out of 2 TE sets.  If not then Ebron is at least a proven receiver from the TE position.  Dude hasn't even turned 25 yet and has 2 500+ and a 700+ yard season under his belt.  He can create separation, and that is all we need from him 7 mill per for 3 years

After these signings we still have a shade under 23 million in space.  The crazy part is that we these contracts all on the books we still have 93.3 mill in cap space next year.  For everyone worried about those 2nd round picks and not being able to surround our young QB with talent, that 93 million is going to be pretty amazing to have next year when we are a more desirable location due to actually having a QB.

Draft:

1. Browns-  Sam Darnold QB-  The talk of the Browns taking Barkley at one were a little absurd to me, and now that we have traded up the Browns fear that the Giants will also trade up and 2 QB's will go off the board before they get to pick at 4 if they take RB 1st.  I really hope that the Browns fall in love with Allen, and feel like since they have Tyrod they can sit him to learn for a while but we aren't that lucky.

2. Giants-  Saquon Barkley RB-  I think they get some serious trade offers from the Bills but they decide that they love Barkley that much.  Even if the Bills do trade up to #2 it doesn't change the outcome for the Jets as the rumors are that they Bills love Allen.

3. Jets- Josh Rosen QB-  Man we get our pick of Baker and Rosen.  It really could go either way, and I will be happy either way.  Part of me thinks it will be Baker because we know that the Bronco's have been all over Baker and we knew we would have to get ahead of them to get him.  But Rosen just seems like who it will be to me at this moment.  It could change at any time really. 

3rd rounder- Uchenna Nwosu Edge-  It is the main position we need on our D.  I really think if we can score even a 10 sack guy at the edge at some point we have ourselves a top 5 defense.  Nwosu is a better pass rushing prospect than Jenkins or Mauldin.  He bends the edge better than both, and has amazing instincts for batting down balls.  He averaged just under 1 batted ball per game last year which is nuts.

4th rounder- Austin Corbett O line-  I put O line because this kid played LT in college at Nevada, but projects more as a guard or center in the NFL.  Has the movement skills to play ZBS as he ran a 5.15 and had one of the better short shuttles of the O linemen.  Took over for Joel Bitonio after he left for the pro's and he made a good transition to the league.  I will not rest until our O line is solid.

5th rounder-  Royce Freeman RB-  I am down to take a RB every single year, eventually you'll hit big on one.  Kid has the size at 234, and the athleticism to go with it, he just needs to play a bit tougher.  Can catch the ball already.  Has the tools just need to hope it works out, which is all you are gonna get in the 5th anyway.

6th rounder- Alex Cappa O line-  Also played OT in college but might not have the arm length to do it in the pro's 32 5/8 inch arms.  But the kid plays like someone stole something from him and beat the crap outta some guys in the 1 on 1's in the senior bowl.  Can pull and shows decent movement skills.  Between these two O line picks we just hope at least 1 turns into a legit starter, which is not abnormal for this range of the draft.  Falls because he played at Humbold State.

7th rounder- Ray Ray McCloud WR- WR from Clemson they are generally good.   Ok lets be honest I just want us to have a guy named Ray Ray on the squad.  

Like this a lot. 

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I like Mayfield but at 3 would much prefer one of Darnold or Rosen. I really really hope the Browns take Allen at 1. We would be set 

would love them taking Allen at one but I believe they go Darnold there, think we're much more open to Mayfield than people believe and personally wouldn't be upset if he was the pick there if Darnold and Rosen were off the board

9 hours ago, Dr.O said:

There's 2 choices this year the #RosenGang or the #MayfieldMafia

I'm cool with either.  I just need something to pin my hopes to after last year where it was almost hard to root for us to win because I knew it was messing up our chances to draft a QB.  Once we have the QB I can not ever feel conflicted about a Jets win again.

10 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree. Macc made the trade right after seeing these two.  If one of them is there, it's going to happen.

The Jets were in talks with the Colts since at least Monday. So, we had already decided there were 3 QBs worth trading up for before the Mayfield and Rosen pro days.

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Like this a lot. 

Eric Ebron, stats last year we a little better than ASJ he had 53 Rec for 534 yards  4 TD', and a strong blocker. Sure seems like a guy we could use. The only thing I read & heard is that the Lions couldn't wait to get rid of him, but they gave no reason. He is also only 25 years old, beggars can't be choosy so lets grab him. 

Jordan Matthews is another interesting player he would be perfect for Bridgewater because he catches a lot of short passes which Bridgewater, throws. the only rap against him is he not much of a down field receiver. At this point who cares lets grab him.

No matter who the Jets starting QB will be next year, we certainly can't go into next season with our current offensive roster.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

The Jets were in talks with the Colts since at least Monday. So, we had already decided there were 3 QBs worth trading up for before the Mayfield and Rosen pro days.

I just seen that and you're right. So it opens things up now. I still have my doubts he'll pick Allen. I just don't see him picking another QB based on physical tools again when he can come away with the other 3 who are likely to be ready sooner than later. If Allen end up needing a year to adapt or struggles like Goff did, he's going to have to pray Allen becomes the man during the final year of Macc's  contract or TB becoming the Franchise face this season. That's a lot. 

He's a bigger risk than the other QBs and I don't think Macc traded up for that. Rosen, Darnold, and Baker can make all the needed throws. 

Archived