MY FIRST MOCK EVER - 2 ROUND ADDED - EDITED 3/25

Jayteedee

Hello Everyone:

Here is my first ever mock draft.  I had a couple of trades going down at the top of the draft and have made some modifications in an attempt to match needs, value and best players with your teams. All comments are certainly welcome.   

UPDATED – 3/25/18 – UPDATES W SECOND ROUND ADDED

1.  Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold -  QB - USC

The Browns are definitely going best quarterback here.  There will be no Saquon Barkley picked with the first pick.  Baker Mayfield is out of the running at this pick given the history with Johnny Football.   That leaves us with Allen, Darnold and Rosen.  Personally, I believe Rosen to be the best current quarterback in the draft, but, his concussions and personality push him away from the Browns.  With Darnold being more accurate than Allen .... he is the pick pending personal workouts. 

2.  NY Giants- Bradley Chubb - DL – NC State

Do the Giants grab their quarterback of the future?   The trend seems to be no at this point. Many believe that the Giants may want to drop down but not out of the top 5 picks. Here’s looking at you Denver.  After trading Jason Pierre-Paul, they think mightily about Barkley here, but, Chubb plays at a more premium position.  A lot of people think that Eli Manning has a number of years left, I disagree.  While I think that the Giants could be a trade candidate with the Broncos or the Bills, I don't see Buffalo happening as the Giants would miss out on a QB, Barkley and Quenton Nelson on the offensive line moving all the way to 12.  I don't see a trade with the Broncos unless Nelson is their guy with the Browns sitting at 4 and potentially taking Barkley. 

3.  NY Jets- Josh Rosen - QB - UCLA

The Jets are definitely in the market for a quarterback.  With the Giants selecting Bradley Chubb, the Jets look to Josh Rosen. Rosen is the most accurate passer in the draft and the most pro ready signal caller in the draft.

4.  Denver Broncos- Josh Allen - QB - Wyoming (Trade 5, 40 and 2019 2nd Round Pick for (4)  *** Trade w/ Cleveland ****

Denver needs a long-term quarterback in the worst way.  They pay a steep price to keep Buffalo, Miami and Possibly Arizona out of this spot. Those teams, especially Buffalo, are going to throw the kitchen sink at this spot if things play out as above.  Given the buzz on Mayfield, he may be the guy that they come up to get  I could see Denver Trading up to 2 overall but it is going to cost them a 1st Round Pick next year. 

5.  Cleveland Browns - Saquon Barkley - RB  - Penn State  *** Trade from Denver ***

Browns have more pressing needs and have built up a lot of draft capital to move up later in the draft if necessary. Barkley is a great offensive talent that you cannot pass up. I don't think that he is a Gurley, Fournette, Zeke type back in terms of moving the pile and gaining tough yards, but, he is a much better receiver than any of them.  Aside from Barkley, I think that Fitzpatrick and Ward will be in the discussion at this pick. 

6.  Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame 

The Colts have a lot of needs and questions.  Most importantly, they need to protect Andrew Luck.  The Colts have retained Jack Mewhort, Nelson is a good start to rebuilding an offensive line that has been sub-par.  Colts have built some draft capital with the added Jets Picks in the 2nd round and opt for the best offensive lineman in the draft. 

7.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Derwin James –S  FLA State

Derwin James is surging up the board and the Buccaneers have a tough choice here between James, Fitzpatrick and Ward.  I think that James wins out in the end.

8.  Buffalo Bills – Baker Mayfield - QB – Oklahoma  **** Trade w/ Chicago for picks 12, 22 and 53.

The Bills use their draft capital to move up and get Baker Mayfield outbidding the Dolphins and Cardinals without having to relinquish both 2nd Rounders or a high pick in 2019. 

9.  SF 49'ers – Tremaine Edwards – LB – VA Tech

An explosive player at outside linebacker and coming off the edge.  I could see the 49ers trading down out of this spot perhaps targeting a player at the WR position a little bit lower in the draft.

10. Oakland Raiders – Minkah Fitzpatrick  –DB  Alabama

Surprisingly, Fitzpatrick falls in this mock draft due to lack of a definitive position.  Since the QB board played out the way that it did, Oakland goes with best player available.

11. Miami Dolphins – Vita Vea – Big defensive tackle to shore up the defensive line after releasing Suh.  I don’t see Miami selecting a QB at this pick given the lack of value on the board.

12. Chicago Bears – Denzel Ward – DB – Ohio State  ***  Trade from Buffalo via Cincinnati ***

The Bears get arguably the best cover corner in the draft and have vastly improved their defensive backfield.

13. Washington Redskins – Roquan Smith – LB – Georgia

The Redskins get a tackling machine to put in the middle of their defense. 

14. Green Bay Packers – Marcus Davenport – Edge – UTSA

Combine beast with a great nose for rushing the quarterback.  Instantly improves the pass rush for the Packers who need help off the edge.

15. Arizona Cardinals – Mike McGlinchey – OT – Notre Dame

Top Tackle in the draft for a team that needs help on the offensive line. 

16. Dallas Cowboys – Calvin Ridley  – WR – Alabama  *** Trade 19, 81 and 137 for 16 ***

Cowboys did retain Dez Bryant but need some new blood at the position to help Dak Prescott.  Ridley gives the Cowboys an outside offensive weapon.  

17. LA Chargers – Da’Ron Payne – DT – Alabama

Chargers need help stopping the run and this pick comes down to Payne vs Vita Vea.  Chargers continue to build up their defensive line with Da’Ron Payne. 

18. Seattle Seahawks - Jaire Alexander – CB – Louisville

Seahawks are in need of DB help. Alexander tested much better than Josh Jackson at the combine.

19. Baltimore Ravens – Harold Landry – DE/LB – Boston College  ***  Trade with Dallas ***

Landry would have been a top 10 pick last year, but, experienced an injury plagued year. Assuming that he checks out medically, the Ravens get themselves a real good player here.

20. Detroit Lions – Derrius Guice – RB – LSU

Guice has a lot of value on the board at this point in the draft. The Lions have a need at running back.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – James Daniels – C – Iowa

Cincinnati has picked up Cordy Glenn at the tackle position and continue to bolster the offensive line with the selection of Daniels.  Andy Dalton and Joe Mixon would both be smiling on draft day after this pick.

22. Chicago Bears – Isaiah Wynn – G – Georgia

The Bears get to fortify the offensive line which is lacking on the interior.  

23. LA Rams – Josh Jackson – CB– Iowa

The Rams look to bolster the defensive backfield with the loss of their best DB to free agency.  

24. Carolina Panthers – Christian Kirk – WR – Arizona

The Panthers need help at the WR position and this becomes a question of flanker vs a slot receiver. A lot of people like Christian Kirk for this spot and he has the quickness and hands to excel.  Plus, he is a dynamic kick returner as well. 

25. Tennessee Titans – Leighton Vander Esch  -  Boise State

The Titans can use some speed and help with their linebacker corp. Vander Esch has really risen up the draft board.

26. Atlanta Falcons – Taven Bryan – DL – Florida

The Falcons get a player of need with this pick as they need help across the interior defensive line.  This will come down to a choice between Bryan and Maurice Hurst.

27. New Orleans Saints – Lamar Jackson – QB – Louisville

Saints get an opportunity on a next generation quarterback who can sit under the tutelage of Drew Brees and learn the finer points of the game.   I could see the Saints dropping out of the first round.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers – Rashaan Evans – LB – Alabama

It is a shame what happened with Ryan Shazier. Pittsburgh will need to get some help at the LB position.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars – Courtland Sutton – WR – SMU

Jacksonville looks to upgrade their WR position after losing Allen Robinson. Sutton drops in this draft where the Jaguars are thanking their stars.

30. Minnesota Vikings – Connor Williams – G/T – Texas

If Minnesota has one Achilles heel it would be their offensive line. If you figure that they are getting back their running back (Dalvin Cook) and have added Kirk Cousins, then, offensive line should be a priority. Williams fills this need nicely.

31. New England Patriots – Mike Hughes – CB – UCF

New England has a need to add to their defensive backfield with Hughes being the pick.  However, You can bet your bottom dollar that this pick will be traded into the 2nd round. 

32. Philadelphia Eagles – DJ Moore – WR – Maryland

Adding a player to take the top off of defenses almost seems unfair the way Carson Wentz was playing pre-injury.  Adding a burner with quickness out of the slot and does anybody stop this offense? 

SECOND ROUND 

33.  Cleveland Browns –   Isaiah Oliver – CB - Colorado

34.  NY Giants –   Sony Michel – RB – Georgia

35.  Cleveland Browns – Maurice Hurst – DT - Michigan

36.  Indianapolis Colts – Ronald Jones RB - USC  

37.  Indianapolis Colts – Arden Key – DE/OLB - LSU

38.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Lorenzo Carter – OLB/Edge -Georgia

39.  Chicago Bears – Billy Price -  G/C – Ohio State

40.  Cleveland Browns – Brian Oneil – OT - Pittsburgh

41.  Oakland Raiders – Ronnie Harrison – S -  Alabama

42.  Miami Dolphins – Dallas Goedert – TE – S Dakota State

43.  New England Patriots – Kolton Miller – OT - UCLA

44.  Washington Redskins – Harrison Phillips – DT - Stanford

45.  Green Bay Packers – Carlton Davis – CB - Auburn

46.  Cincinnati Bengals – Uchenna Nwosu – LB - USC

47.  Arizona Cardinals – Mason Rudolph – QB – Oklahoma State

48.  LA Chargers – Justin Reid – S - Stanford

49.  Indianapolis Colts – James Washington – WR – Oklahoma State

50.  Dallas Cowboys – Mike Giesicki – TE – Penn State

51.  Detroit Lions – Sam Hubbard – DE – Ohio State

52.  Baltimore Ravens – Orlando Brown – T - Oklahoma

53.  Chicago Bears – DaShawn Hand –DL – Alabama

54.  Kansas City Chiefs – Donte Jackson – CB -LSU

55.  Carolina Panthers – Terrell Edmunds – S – Virginia Tech

56.  Buffalo Bills – Equanimeous Brown – WR – Notre Dame

57.  Tennessee Titans – Anthony Miller – WR - Memphis

58.  Atlanta Falcons – Braden Smith – G - Auburn

59.  San Francisco 49ers – Frank Ragnow – G/C - Arkansas

60. Pittsburgh Steelers – Dorance Armstrong JR – DE/OLB –Kansas

61.  Jacksonville Jaguars – Martinas Rankin – OT -  Mississippi State

62.  Minnesota Vikings – R.J. McIntosh – DT - Miami

63.  New England Patriots – Darius Leonard – LB –South Carolina State

64.  Cleveland Browns – Deon Cain – WR – Clemson

26. Atlanta Falcons – Vita Vea – DL – Washington

The Falcons get a player of need with this pick as they need help across the interior defensive line.  Vea will toughen up the interior of the line in a position of need.

If he's there, he's definitely the pick.

7 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Yuck to Miller.... just yuck. Position fits, but I supremely dislike the player. 

Given that you don't like Miller, who would be a better pick for the Vikings?  Connor Williams, Orlando Brown, Orkorafor?   

I think Williams would be solid. Currently it appears the Vikings want to keep Mike Remmers at guard, but, if that changes, having a player like Williams, who could potentially play inside or out, would be ideal. 

Just not a fan of how big of a project Miller is going to be at the next level. 

2 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

Browns fan?

I wouldn’t apologise to the Bills either, yes they want a QB but that ain’t bad compensation.

Draft board didn’t drop right for the Dolphins and I would take James over Fitzpatrick but most would side with you.

Not really a Browns fan. I like to think that i am pretty good a fixing things as i am just amazed that a team can be down for so long without something to root for.  I like Derwin James a lot.  Great athlete, but, I wonder about him covering in space. 

9 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I hope we wouldn’t take Michael Gallup over Lamar Jackson.

Given that they extended Bortles, I figured that Jacksonville really ought to look at upgrading their pass offense as it looks like that they have a window with that defense, offensive line and Fournette.  I was surprised that Bortles played as well as he did in the playoffs. Does he continue to improve, plateau or regress. 

Regarding Jackson, the $64,000 question is that if his mobility is hampered or taken away (i.e. RG-III) can he survive as a pure pocket passer?  I figure that any rookie quarterback is going to take time to develop and having seen Jackson play, I am not sold on him being an adequate enough passer in the NFL.   The Jags could always move up in the 2nd round to get him or sit tight and wait on a  Luke Falk; however, I will make the change. 

49 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

My god, that is a horrible trade for the Broncos. I'd rather stay put and see if Allen makes it there. If not, we'd have a choice between Fitzpatrick, Barkley, and Chubb. If we HAD to trade up, I'd hope it would be for Rosen at 2.

If trading to #2, I suspect that Denver would be giving up 5, 40, 71 and a 1st Round Pick in 2019 at a minimum.  The Jets paid 2 to 1 in Value to move from the 6 spot up to 3 and I would expect the Broncos will probably have to pay more when you consider that the Bills will offer 12, 22, 53,  and  a 1, 2  picks 2019 and that may not get them to 2.  

Unfortunately, you have a handful of quarterbacks and a lot of teams in need.  It's going to drive the price up.  

The way I think about it is this.  Denver with a capable quarterback, even as a rookie,  becomes a dangerous team with playoff aspirations. That drops the value of a future 1st or 2nd Round pick substantially  in any trade with Denver.  The Bills with a new rookie quarterback are still terrible and those future picks are worth more. 

So, does John Elway decide to stay in NFL Purgatory with a talented team with no real quarterback or does he bite the bullet and get a talent behind center that can give them a shot. You can stand pat and take Barkley, Chubb or Fitzpatrick; however, without a quarterback, you are looking at anywhere from a 7-9 to 9-7 seasons for the foreseeable future. 

Archived