MY FIRST MOCK EVER - 2 ROUND ADDED - EDITED 3/25

Jayteedee

10 hours ago, Jayteedee said:

But the rub is what is the market to get your guy?  San Francisco had no one else beating down their door to get Trubisky and they wanted Solomon Thomas. The 49ers blew some smoke in the air and came away with 3 extra picks without any competition for the pick. 

In this draft, if Josh Allen or Josh Rosen are sitting there at 4, there is going to be an all out bidding war. I don't know any other way to put it. I will predict the Bills will be willing to give up a minimum of Pick 12, Pick 22 and a 1st Round Pick next year. The Dolphins and Cardinals could get involved   Then, the question becomes are the Browns willing to drop that far.

If the Browns are willing to drop, then, do the Broncos sit on their hands or do they make an offer to get their quarterback.   With their defense and receivers, all they really need is the quarterback to make it work. Again, Chubb, Fitzpatrick or Barkley are all very good prospects. They are not going to win you championships without a QB 

Historically, If you flip picks and Using the 2017 draft, are you willing to get a guaranteed Josh Allen/Josh Rosen for whomever Pick 5 is plus Curtis Samuel (40) and Raekwon McMillan (54)?  

If you use the 2016 draft, pick (40) - Dorial Green Beckham and (54) Ameer Abdullah?

If you use the 2015 draft pick (40) -  Kyle Van Noy and (54) Bishop Sankey?

Now, If Mayfield happens to be the fourth guy, I think that the market shrinks and Denver should stay put. But, John Elway is going to have a decision on his hands to make 

If Elway believes that Allen or Rosen are the guy, why wouldn't Denver gladly give up the equivalent of the players listed above to get your franchise quarterback?  If the Broncos get a quarterback who can play, they could make some noise quickly which lessens the cost if you are dealing future draft picks. 

Say if the top 3 QB's are gone and  Buffalo is going to go all-in to get Josh Allen, then, what does Denver have to pay to get the player that they want? 

1. If San Francisco hadn't convinced Chicago that they had Cleveland looking to move up for Trubisky, they wouldn't have been able to sucker Chicago in the first place.  By virtue of being willing to trade down at all, the 49ers made it clear they did not want Trubisky themselves.

2. So not offering two seconds and a third to move up one spot = "sitting on their hands"?  So not offering almost as much as the Jets did from 5 to 4 = "sitting on their hands"?  It doesn't mean they should fleece themselves significantly worse than the Jets did in order to move up.  This is what the flexibility Case Keenum gives them.  They can trade up for a QB, but they're not over the proverbial barrel to do it. 

3. So, again, if you're going to use this logic, why not just demand 27 first rounders?  You seem to think the Browns have all the leverage, why not demand the Broncos Ditka the draft?  Maybe have them throw in Von Miller too?  I Chris Harris and Bradley Roby should be in on this!  mean you can't win a Superbowl without a top tier quarterback selected in the top five.  That's why there are so many of those hauling around truckloads of Lombardis.  There's Eli Manning and....... Eli Manning and....... Eli Manning!  Edit: Wait no, I forgot.  There is also Carson Wentz.  And the Eagles absolutely could not have a Superbowl without him.  He carried that Eagles roster to a lombardi trophy.  So I guess I am mistaken. The Browns should rob the Broncos deaf, dumb and blind. Take everything they have.  All of their first rounders forever.  Any quality player they have.  Maybe have them trade their stadium.   The Browns could use an extra one. 

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Because Case Keenum was good for like 11 games of his entire career so far. And Denver has significantly less weapons than Minnesota. I don't expect Keenum to be anywhere above the 20th best QB in the league. The Broncos still need a QB.

Case Keenum just made a career year, Mike Glennon never did anything.

Keenum possibly will not be the anwser, but he earned the benefit of the doubt.....Denver can wait another year or two to go after a QB high....a day 2/early day 3 project QB would be way more reasonable now.

If Elway draft a QB in the first it will be either a waste pick with the rookie or a waste of cap with Keenum.

If Elway still is a good GM he needs to go BPA....with possibly 2 or 3 QBs going in the top 4, no way a QB is the BPA at 5.

Saquon Barkley, Quenton Nelson or Bradley Chubb for Denver, any other pick at 5 is a bust for Elway.

13 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

Case Keenum just made a career year, Mike Glennon never did anything.

Keenum possibly will not be the anwser, but he earned the benefit of the doubt.....Denver can wait another year or two to go after a QB high....a day 2/early day 3 project QB would be way more reasonable now.

If Elway draft a QB in the first it will be either a waste pick with the rookie or a waste of cap with Keenum.

If Elway still is a good GM he needs to go BPA....with possibly 2 or 3 QBs going in the top 4, no way a QB is the BPA at 5.

Saquon Barkley, Quenton Nelson or Bradley Chubb for Denver, any other pick at 5 is a bust for Elway.

That seems harsh....

It's not a waste of cap space to have Keenum's salary + the rookie's salary combined into your QB room. You have to ensure you have a QB. Taking QB's in the draft is obviously always going to be risky, which is why Keenum was brought in. They needed someone in case the rookie QB didn't pan out OR they weren't able to acquire one of the top guys. I can't buy into the thought that Keenum is just too good for the Broncos to pat themselves on the back and feel like they found their QB of the future. I think this QB draft is spectacular and waiting to select the 7th-8th best one is dumb. That's a waste of a pick.

And if it turns out that both Keenum and the rookie are good....great! Flip one for a boatload of picks and move on. Picking a franchise QB is never a waste of a pick because you can always flip them or the vet depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

John Elway very well might pick a position player at #5, but if they have access to a QB at that pick named Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield, I think they'll pull the trigger. I don't think they'd trade up to acquire one though. Especially at the price tag laid out in this mock.

Denver is closer to a rebuild than they are to contention. That offense is an eye sore and their best offensive talent is hitting the age of rapid decline. Plus their DL is atrocious and that unit as a whole is long in the tooth. If I'm them, I blow the whole thing up, take a QB early, and officially start the post-Manning rebuild that we all knew was inevitable.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

That seems harsh....

It's not a waste of cap space to have Keenum's salary + the rookie's salary combined into your QB room. You have to ensure you have a QB. Taking QB's in the draft is obviously always going to be risky, which is why Keenum was brought in. They needed someone in case the rookie QB didn't pan out OR they weren't able to acquire one of the top guys. I can't buy into the thought that Keenum is just too good for the Broncos to pat themselves on the back and feel like they found their QB of the future. I think this QB draft is spectacular and waiting to select the 7th-8th best one is dumb. That's a waste of a pick.

And if it turns out that both Keenum and the rookie are good....great! Flip one for a boatload of picks and move on. Picking a franchise QB is never a waste of a pick because you can always flip them or the vet depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

John Elway very well might pick a position player at #5, but if they have access to a QB at that pick named Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield, I think they'll pull the trigger. I don't think they'd trade up to acquire one though. Especially at the price tag laid out in this mock.

Denver is closer to a rebuild than they are to contention. That offense is an eye sore and their best offensive talent is hitting the age of rapid decline. Plus their DL is atrocious and that unit as a whole is long in the tooth. If I'm them, I blow the whole thing up, take a QB early, and officially start the post-Manning rebuild that we all knew was inevitable.

DL is atrocious? Did see it a Denver game last year? Stopping the run was one of the few things that worked last year.

I'm not saying that Keenum is the anwser, but he was the only big move Elway has made this offseason....he needs to try to give a team that can win....Keenum contract guarantees him two years as the starter, drafting a QB at 5 to sit him for two years is stupid, and not give Keenum or the rookie a chance to succeed.

If then plan was to have a bridge and go after a QB Elway should have signed a cheaper QB and use the cap in other areas.

Denver are not taking a QB at 5 unless Rosen or Mayfield(although I hate him) falls....hopefully Buffalo trade up too and prevent that to happen.

Rosen is the only QB that I would accept at 5. I could live with Darnold, but the way things are going he won't pass 1 anyway.

8 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

DL is atrocious? Did see it a Denver game last year? Stopping the run was one of the few things that worked last year.

Derek Wolfe is the only starter i'd feel comfortable with if I were a Denver fan. You still need a NT and another 5T. There is not a lot of young talent on that unit. Gotsis has been a little underwhelming & is probably going to be cut now, and Domata Peko is ancient and I can't imagine very good. You have great edge rushers if you count them as part of the DL, but I'm speaking more from an interior perspective

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Derek Wolfe is the only starter i'd feel comfortable with if I were a Denver fan. You still need a NT and another 5T. There is not a lot of young talent on that unit. Gotsis has been a little underwhelming & is probably going to be cut now, and Domata Peko is ancient and I can't imagine very good. You have great edge rushers if you count them as part of the DL, but I'm speaking more from an interior perspective

Gotsis cut? Unless the accusations are proved true he won't go anywhere...as for his play, everybody in Denver knew he has a project and he has improved last year, Denver has high hopes for him.

Peko almost made it to Pro Bowl (would have if the Jaguars wented to the Super Bowl)....Denver do need a young guy behind him, but not desperate for it.

Denver needs a better partner for Brandon Marshall and a SS because Stewart is declining, but Simmons is the future at FS.

I'm pretty confortable with the D for now.....Denver needs more playmakers at the offense and help at the OL that's why we need to take Barkley or Nelson if they are there at 5

With Nelson, Chubb, and Barkley all on the board at 5, as much as I love locking down Chubb, I can’t see us giving up that much draft capital when any of those 3 would upgrade our team greatly. I think in that case we stand pat and let the draft fall to us.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:07 PM, Jayteedee said:

I honestly believe that Pick 4 will be in play.  Let's say that the Giants take Barkley at 2.  Then, I would suspect the Jets would take Rosen at 3.  

Then, the four slot becomes a war between Buffalo and Denver.  If I were the Browns, I would prefer to stay up higher, but, Buffalo is going to offer 12, 22, 53 and I would want their 1st pick next year.  With Denver, they'd give up at least 5, 40 (Maybe 71) and a pick next year.  The downside with Denver is that with a capable quarterback a 2019 pick becomes less valuable because they might be a playoff team.  Whereas, Buffalo is going to be terrible.  

While I would hate to lose out on Barkley,  both the Bills and Denver are going to be desperate to move up. Trading with Denver gives you access to Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson or Ward and you could trade down again depending on who you like. 

I like this draft a lot overall. As a Browns fan, I enjoy being the recipient of good trade down value for quarterbacks. As you've had to State over and over in this thread, it is going to take a lot to move up for quarterbacks. Everyone wants their team to be able to trade up cheaply and get their guy, but trading up for quarterbacks generally is costly, especially when there are several teams in the mix like this year. The Denver trade value is probably realistic. That said, I don't think we would get that value from the Buccaneers to move up since it is not for a quarterback. Also, the Bucs just traded for Jason pierre-paul, so I'll assume that Chubb is no longer a number one need to trade up for, even though I could still see them wanting him to pair with JPP. They might even want Bradley Chubb more now that they have another guy. Also, it might make some Buccaneers fans happier if you trim down the trade compensation to move up from pick 7 to pick 5.

On 3/18/2018 at 10:53 PM, Zantku said:

I never even heard Of Uchenna Nwosu! I had to look him up just to find out you are giving the Titans a guy that's gonna go day 3! To top it off you got Rashaan Evans, and Leighton Vander esch still on the board. Shame on you sir shame! 

I like the other two guys you mentioned a lot as well, but Nwosu is a very good Prospect whom I saw was sitting around early third round before he started getting hyped up. I don't see him falling past the second round most likely, and I could even see him going first round. His combine was very good and he already was being talked about. He's also just going to be 22 years old during the season as well.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:09 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Because Case Keenum was good for like 11 games of his entire career so far. And Denver has significantly less weapons than Minnesota. I don't expect Keenum to be anywhere above the 20th best QB in the league. The Broncos still need a QB.

This

I still love the 1st round pick for the Falcons in Taven Bryan.  As for the 2nd round pick i like the player Braden Smith alot and considering we didn't put any more years on Levitre's contract with the restructure i could see Smith being his replacement after this season and a chance to learn under him and Mack.

In the 3rd round i personally either trade up to get Tim Settle at NT  or hope B.J. Hill falls to us at NT.  In round 4 i take the best Slot speedy Wr available.

Archived