Sam Darnold Pro Day (3/21/18)

Mind Character

46 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Hue’s gone by midseason-two thirds through imo. Got a feeling we’ll underwhelm for the first half of the year or so, relative to the additions we’ve made. I think Hue’s incompetence will shine through and frustrate.

We’ll stick Haley in as interim and the rookie will play the last couple of games to get his feet wet.

Then I think we’ll either promote Haley to full time HC or get a fresh young, innovative coach like Flip to start the new era with the QB.

BB

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m just not sure where the Baker hate comes from.

A lot of it, for me at least, isn't hate...it's that we finally have a chance to solve our QB position for a long time if we pick Darnold.

Not so sure with Mayfield for all the reasons that have been given.

It would be more disappointment for me that we didn't take advantage of the chance and instead, given all the questions about Mayfield, messed it up in a typically Brownsque way.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

And we just traded for a QB pretty much the same height so if Hue can't scheme around a 6'1 QB we are in trouble this year and he will probably be fired during or after this season anyway.

Which would be a good thing.

With a quarterback you are betting on nit only there upside but also there Darkseid not overtaking them. 

I never had a problem with Johnny's upside accurate mobile and competitive. His problem was his darkside, drugs, partying and self centered. 

We have had a glimpse of Baker darkside arragance and mild substance abuse issues. 

Rosen is arragance at worse. 

Sam has a darkside, like everyone, but we haven't seen it and maybe he has more control over it. 

That is a key reason why I am on the Darnold boat.

58 minutes ago, bruceb said:

it's that we finally have a chance to solve our QB position for a long time if we pick Darnold

That isn't fact though. You hope it does, as do Mayfield and Rosen supporters hope their QB solves our problem for a long time. There is never a sure thing but there are 3 great prospects and I don't see anything that glares out that one has much more possibility of being successful than the others. Maybe Darnold will be the best of the bunch but there is a better chance that one of the other two turns out better just on numbers alone. I think we will be in good shape with any of the three.

51 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

With a quarterback you are betting on nit only there upside but also there Darkseid not overtaking them. 

I never had a problem with Johnny's upside accurate mobile and competitive. His problem was his darkside, drugs, partying and self centered. 

We have had a glimpse of Baker darkside arragance and mild substance abuse issues. 

Rosen is arragance at worse. 

Sam has a darkside, like everyone, but we haven't seen it and maybe he has more control over it. 

That is a key reason why I am on the Darnold boat.

One of the bigger issues, for sure.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You hope it does, as do Mayfield and Rosen supporters hope their QB solves our problem for a long time.

It's not hope.

It is projecting what we know.

Darnold checks more boxes than any other QB in this draft.

46 minutes ago, bruceb said:

It's not hope.

It is projecting what we know.

Darnold checks more boxes than any other QB in this draft.

He doesn't have the strongest arm, he isn't the most accurate, he doesn't have the best deep ball, he isn't the least prone to turnovers, he doesn't score the most, he isn't the most athletic. He may evade pressure the best but that is probably it along with having a height advantage on Baker. I think what a lot like is that he "looks" like an NFL QB.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

He doesn't have the strongest arm, he isn't the most accurate, he doesn't have the best deep ball, he isn't the least prone to turnovers, he doesn't score the most, he isn't the most athletic. He may evade pressure the best but that is probably it along with having a height advantage on Baker. I think what a lot like is that he "looks" like an NFL QB.

Has prototypical size. (Mayfield does not). Check

Injury history is pretty clean. (Rosen's is not). Check

No apparent character concerns. (Mayfield and Rosen do). Check

Can make all the throws in and out of the pocket. (Allen cannot). Check

Checkmate, Darnold.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I find this to be a quite strange post. You’ve cherry picked a number of attributes of varying importance (“doesn’t score the most” being particularly flimsy in the context of judging the pro potential of a quarterback prospect. Then you’ve passed off subjective opinions on those attributes as objective facts.

31 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He doesn't have the strongest arm

No, but it’s a very good arm.  Can make all necessary throws and then some.

, he isn't the most accurate

But he is accurate.

, he doesn't have the best deep ball,

But he does throw it well.

he isn't the least prone to turnovers

Not a terribly relevant stat.  Lots of good QB’s turned the ball over in college.

, he doesn't score the most

But he does make plays.  Other offensive talent comes in to play here.

, he isn't the most athletic.

But he is athletic. More so than a number of HoF QB’s anyway.

He may evade pressure the best

Perhaps. Baker, Allen and Jackson are all good at it too.

I think what a lot like is that he "looks" like an NFL QB.

Is this a bad thing?  I mean, I agree.  When I watch Sam Darnold, I think to myself “Damn, that kid looks like a pro QB.”.  What’s wrong or inaccurate about that? 

32 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I find this to be a quite strange post. You’ve cherry picked a number of attributes of varying importance (“doesn’t score the most” being particularly flimsy in the context of judging the pro potential of a quarterback prospect. Then you’ve passed off subjective opinions on those attributes as objective facts.

Well list what you find important and tell me if he is better than the rest at those attributes.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, but it’s a very good arm.  Can make all necessary throws and then some.

But he is accurate.

But he does throw it well.

Not a terribly relevant stat.  Lots of good QB’s turned the ball over in college.

But he does make plays.  Other offensive talent comes in to play here.

But he is athletic. More so than a number of HoF QB’s anyway.

Perhaps. Baker, Allen and Jackson are all good at it too.

Is this a bad thing?  I mean, I agree.  When I watch Sam Darnold, I think to myself “Damn, that kid looks like a pro QB.”.  What’s wrong or inaccurate about that? 

He isn't the only one that can check those boxes though. He is worthy of being the #1 pick, I'm not arguing that I'm just saying he has competition this isn't Peyton vs. Colt McCoy here.

40 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Has prototypical size. (Mayfield does not). Check

Injury history is pretty clean. (Rosen's is not). Check

No apparent character concerns. (Mayfield and Rosen do). Check

Can make all the throws in and out of the pocket. (Allen cannot). Check

Checkmate, Darnold.

Okay lol

Darnold has missed a full year of the 4 years he has been named starting QB going back to H.S. He made it through 2 college seasons and his senior H.S. season, missed most of his JR. year.

Allen has a stronger arm. Check

Allen has a clean personality. Check

Allen has a better injury history. Check.

Allen still isn't a good prospect in round 1.

Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold can all make all of the throws. Mayfield did it best in college with or without pressure. He is 6'1 but I don't care, close enough. If his character concerns bother us I'm cool going another direction but as football players who play QB Mayfield doesn't take a backseat to Darnold.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, pscottdai said:

Good, bad, doesn't matter - we aren't drafting him :)

good call because Darnold will flame out like his former USC predecessors LEINART,SANCHEZ,BARKLEY,KESSLER just to name a few

Archived