2018 Schedule

vike daddy

3 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

I do find it funny when analysts talk about if the Vikings can go 13-3 again and they talk about how much harder the schedule will be this year and that there is no way they will. I was listening to Eric Eager with Matthew Coller and he mentioned that they were more like a 10-6, 11-5 ceiling type team.  Now I am not saying they will go 13-3 or 14-2, it's still way to early for that but I really find it hard to believe that it's that much harder. AFC east is a joke outside of New England, similar to last years AFC North. The NFC south sent 3 teams to the playoffs last year. The NFC West will be competitive, but the Cardinals are in a weird rebuild/push for it mode, and the Seahawks defense has fallen apart. 

As far as the 3rd place vs. 1st place schedule. Last years 3rd place was the Rams (supposedly easy game) and the Redskins. This year is the Eagles, Saints, so yes tougher on paper, but not a 3 game difference. 

I think there are a number of factors at play:

-Aaron Rodgers (most probably expecting a split at best)
-Eagles and Saints (again, probably a split at best)
-Patriots game a predicted loss

With that right there, people probably figure 13-3 is the absolute best-case scenario, but aren't banking on it.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

I think there are a number of factors at play:

-Aaron Rodgers (most probably expecting a split at best)
-Eagles and Saints (again, probably a split at best)
-Patriots game a predicted loss

With that right there, people probably figure 13-3 is the absolute best-case scenario, but aren't banking on it.

Oh I agree. But besides those games, on paper now, what games are the Vikings not favored in? I'm not saying that they will win them all but if you were to go game by game I bet they would be favored in every game.

I think 13-3 will be difficult; always is. I’m thinking 12-4 or 11-5 is reasonable. I just want to win the North and possibly grab a bye in the postseason. Having home field advantage would be great as well. I really think we will be legitimate Superb Owl contenders for he foreseeable future (next 3 years). 

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I think 13-3 will be difficult; always is. I’m thinking 12-4 or 11-5 is reasonable. I just want to win the North and possibly grab a bye in the postseason. Having home field advantage would be great as well. I really think we will be legitimate Superb Owl contenders for he foreseeable future (next 3 years). 

Yeah, repeating 13-3 will be difficult and there's many people out there saying that if Kirk doesn't get us to 13-3, 14-2, 15-1, 16-0....we should have kept Keenum because 13-3.

We need to AT MINIMUM win the division and a playoff game. 

Anything else? Forget it.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2018 schedule is going to include a rarity that is going to have a non-owner, non-player and non-coach likely determining when teams play on the road, when they play at home and when they might have their bye week. Who is this landscape-altering individual? Musician Ed Sheeran.

Sheeran, a British singer-songwriter who has achieved worldwide fame, has become one of the rare musical stars capable of running a tour that plays stadiums, not arenas. The issue as it pertains to the NFL – and it could be a major issue – is that Sheeren’s tour has a pretty strict two-show-a-week policy and the only commonality between the majority of his tour is that one of the twice-weekly shows is on a Saturday night.

His tour even impacts potential Thursday night matchups. The Eagles can’t host a game in Week 4 because Lincoln Financial Field has booked Sheeran. The same goes for the Bears in Week 5, because Soldier Field has been reserved. The Saints likely can’t host a Week 8 Thursday game on Nov. 1, because Sheeran is quietly rocking the Big Easy on Halloween night at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The Buccaneers are probably precluded from hosting a Thursday game in Week 10 because the night before (Nov. 7) Sheeran will be playing at Raymond James Stadium.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Music-world-of-NFL-scheduling-on-collision-course-thanks-to-Ed-Sheeran-116812540

• 2 weeks later...

The Vikings 2018 preseason schedule includes a pair of AFC teams that participated in the most-recent postseason, as well as the teams that met in Super Bowl XLVIII.

Minnesota will open its run of exhibition contests at Denver against the Broncos in Week 1, the NFL announced Wednesday.

The Vikings will host the Jacksonville Jaguars and Seattle Seahawks in Weeks 2 and 3 before wrapping the exhibition campaign in Nashville against the Tennessee Titans in Week 4.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-2018-Preseason-Opponents-Revealed/c36e71a8-867e-4f43-98d1-6d763c85baf3

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I feel like we always finish the preseason at Tennessee.

Wonder if we see Keenum week 1?

Of course...as of right now, he's the likely Denver starter.  And as far as Tennessee, it may seem like it, but they haven't played Tennessee in the preseason in 3 years.  It was just that they finished with the Titans from 2013-15.  This will, however, be the 3rd year in a row that they've faced the Seahawks in the preseason.  

I am going to communicate my annual old-man rant...but I sure wish there was another way for teams to judge talent and make up a roster besides playing pre-season games.  I hate pre-season games in the same way I hate the Pro-Bowl.  It's just a really bad product.  I seriously think the NFL should consider eliminating the pre-season or maybe only play two games at the most.

My idea recently has been to just eliminate 1 preseason game, and then take that game and make it a neutral-site/international regular season game, so no-one has to lose a home game to play in London/Mexico City/Portland/Toronto/Berlin/Salt Lake City.  

12 minutes ago, disaacs said:

My idea recently has been to just eliminate 1 preseason game, and then take that game and make it a neutral-site/international regular season game, so no-one has to lose a home game to play in London/Mexico City/Portland/Toronto/Berlin/Salt Lake City.  

I was thinking about doing NBA-style preseason games, where they go to some smaller markets to play games.

Like how Green Bay has played a preseason game in Madison, I believe. Give Detroit a game in Ann Arbor. KC can play up in Lincoln. As much as it pains me, give the Vikings a game in Iowa City. Some of these places can help the teams grow their fan bases, or at least make some of the fans from fringe locations feel a larger investment in the teams.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

I was thinking about doing NBA-style preseason games, where they go to some smaller markets to play games.

Like how Green Bay has played a preseason game in Madison, I believe. Give Detroit a game in Ann Arbor. KC can play up in Lincoln. As much as it pains me, give the Vikings a game in Iowa City. Some of these places can help the teams grow their fan bases, or at least make some of the fans from fringe locations feel a larger investment in the teams.

That's a nice idea...I saw the Timberwolves play the Heat here in KC 2 years ago and saw the Wild play the Blues this last preseason.  I'd take a trip to Kinnick to watch the Vikings play...but I'm sure that wouldn't fly with powers that be because of the risk of injury on fields that aren't prepared to host NFL-level football...and the Hawkeyes probably wouldn't want the Vikings tearing up their field before the start of their season.    

Archived