Draft Discussion Thread

El Ramster

On 3/19/2018 at 1:15 PM, StLunatic88 said:

I think we should all have gotten over labeling any of these guys busts before they are drafted. If you cant look at the guys in the past decade and realize most of them would have been somewhat successful if they were put into the right situation (scheme fit, given time to sit, actual weapons/line around them) then you should re-evaluate your draftnik status.

Ofcourse some of them just got overhyped and drafted way too early by anxious owners who wanted a better product quicker and scared GM/Coaches trying to save their jobs. 

When I look at the handful off 1st Round talent, I can see easy paths that they all flourish in the league for years. But there are also plenty of scenarios that they flame out and are ruined before they can get into a good enough situation.

If Josh Allen ends up in Buffao, with a team committed to running the bal and just needs an early Roethlisberger type to take care of the ball and thow a bomb every once in a while to keep them honest, He could thrive as he keeps learning for the next 3 years.

Yeah, the only thing that scares me about Buffalo for Allen is they don't really have a QB-developer on the staff; their QB coach is a former WR coach who, while he did used to work under Andy Reid, is only entering his 2nd year coaching QB's since 1985 at the D-III college level.  The closest thing - brace yourselves - that the Bills have on staff to a QB-developer is... Brian Daboll.

On 3/19/2018 at 5:53 PM, Flatlyner said:

Ridley is an interesting topic.  Never thought he'd get close to us, and, honestly, I don't think he will be there at 23, but he is intriguing.  I think there is little chance Dallas passes on him honestly, if he were to fall to 19.  That said, if Vea, Smith, Edmunds, Payne, Landry are off the board, I'm thinking hard at trading down or taking Vander Esch or Evans.   We have some glaring holes on D that have thus far not been filled in FA.

I don't think Evans will be there.  I know everyone wants to pencil in a DT to the Chargers, but Tom Telesco doesn't value the position highly in the draft.  The Chargers have needed a long-term solution at run-stuffing NT his entire tenure as GM and thus far the closest he's ever come to trying to address it in the draft is spending a 5th round pick on Ryan Carrethers.  If Roquan and Edmunds are gone when they pick at #17, I think Evans is a lock there.  Telesco is a sucker for identifying the biggest deficiency of the previous season's team and then not addressing that in free agency because he's earmarked his 1st round pick to do just that.  Last year it was "improving the team's red-zone efficiency," this year it's pretty clear that it's shoring up the run-defense.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I don't think Evans will be there.  I know everyone wants to pencil in a DT to the Chargers, but Tom Telesco doesn't value the position highly in the draft.  The Chargers have needed a long-term solution at run-stuffing NT his entire tenure as GM and thus far the closest he's ever come to trying to address it in the draft is spending a 5th round pick on Ryan Carrethers.  If Roquan and Edmunds are gone when they pick at #17, I think Evans is a lock there.  Telesco is a sucker for identifying the biggest deficiency of the previous season's team and then not addressing that in free agency because he's earmarked his 1st round pick to do just that.  Last year it was "improving the team's red-zone efficiency," this year it's pretty clear that it's shoring up the run-defense.

Cool with me. If we go ILB in Round 1, I want LVE.

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Cool with me. If we go ILB in Round 1, I want LVE.

And if I know Telesco (which I figure I have enough time spent observing and studying to have a pretty darn good grasp on him), the Chargers are no real threat to take LVE even if he could be a true standout in their scheme.  Largely because Telesco puts a pretty substantial emphasis (especially in the 1st round) on multi-year starters from winning programs (Boise has that down, at least) in major conferences.  LVE would have to absolutely knock them over in the interview room (I've read a recounting of at least two of their interviews with LB's at the combine, one of which was clearly Roquan Smith - like I was reading their recounting of his responses and the whole time I'm thinking, "This is so Roquan!", so I've got a good idea of what they're asking these guys) or there'd have to be a major early run on LB's for them to consider taking him at #17.

Does anyone else think that we've been holding on to Barron as trade bait for the draft? Just a thought. Have to think the browns would be interested a little. Give us the chance to move up to the top of the 3rd if there is a guy we like that fell.

42 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Does anyone else think that we've been holding on to Barron as trade bait for the draft? Just a thought. Have to think the browns would be interested a little. Give us the chance to move up to the top of the 3rd if there is a guy we like that fell.

My figuring is that Barron was always going to be a post-June-1st cut.  Saves us an extra $2M this year and carrying $2M over to next year's ledger when we have pushing on $100M in space (and when carried-over space from this year may just end up washing out this delayed dead-money hit anyway).  But having that extra space available to maneuver this season could be useful.

I don't think we can afford to trade Barron now that we traded Tree. 

We need Linebackers, Linebackers, Linebackers in this draft. Landry or LVE on round 1. Perhaps ideally we can trade out of the first for a couple seconds and double up. Hubbard, Jewel, Oronkwo are all great fits for our scheme. But I would invest some heavy draft capital on the linebacker corp. 

Harold Landry has been my favorite player for us all year. 

Ideally we get Suh, sign Cushing, can draft Landry in the 1st, Tegray Scales and Josey Jewell in the 4th, then fill in BPA around that. With that I think we have a really good defense with good pieces moving forward. May grab Braden Smith in the 3rd if he falls that far. Let Jamon Brown walk next year, try to restructure Saffold this year or next for another 3 years and resign Havenstein. Then Look for a future LT and C and our oline is in pretty solid shape.

57 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

I just don't see how Landry realistically drops this far. He's too talented. I could watch his 2016 Florida State game on a loop.

Here's the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsKcTHGaJSc&feature=youtu.be

I think the best hope we have is him getting hamstrung by recency bias - i.e. him not having good 2017 tape whereas other guys did.  We've seen recency bias push guys (who, in hindsight, should have gone ahead of others) down the board plenty of times before.

9 hours ago, Fragafootball said:

I don't think we can afford to trade Barron now that we traded Tree. 

We need Linebackers, Linebackers, Linebackers in this draft. Landry or LVE on round 1. Perhaps ideally we can trade out of the first for a couple seconds and double up. Hubbard, Jewel, Oronkwo are all great fits for our scheme. But I would invest some heavy draft capital on the linebacker corp. 

Harold Landry has been my favorite player for us all year. 

I dunno.  I'm with @StLunatic88 in that I think people are writing Littleton off a little too quickly; I, too, think he'll be used more liberally than a lot of other people are counting on, and it'll be in that same BUCK LB spot that we were playing Barron in last year.

I doubt we chuck Barron before we have a replacement and feel comfortable about the depth behind him, I've seen Wade scheme work success with guys taken in the 6th and 7th round way too often before (not superstars, but capable players who aren't liabilities) to think we're absolutely going to have to hold onto Barron or else risk not having depth.  There's just no reason (nothing to lose or gain in doing it any sooner than later if we don't have a pressing need to clear up the cap-space) to have to cut him until we're comfortable.

Archived