Draft Discussion Thread

El Ramster

34 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Measurables are spot on for Hunt. I just realistically can't expect everyone that measures out like him to produce. He was an exception of the rule in a perfect situation for his skill set. 

I view the draft like an investor. I like players that have the highest "success" rate. Looking at a players athletic profile is the most efficient way of doing that. That's not me saying I take Kelly's production at UT with a grain salt, he was a mega-producer there. That's the only reason he was drafted. Do outliers hit? Very seldomly. When that happens, I admit my mistake and move on. But I am always against investing draft capital in outliers, and that's the reason Kelly fell so far in the draft.

We have very different styles. I see them as players, and I focus on what they can do on the football field. I love outliers because they are always undervalued.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

We have very different styles. I see them as players, and I focus on what they can do on the football field. I love outliers because they are always undervalued.

Always got account for the guys who come in with a chip on their shoulders and know they have something to prove. I am with you 100%

I didn't like our first two picks, not sure what to think of Noteboom, would have rather drafted Mason Cole or Alex Cappa. Crosby dropped all the way down to 153, so Cole and Crosby feel like a better fit than Noteboom and Allen. But overall we got Kiser and Obo which were players I really wanted out of this draft with the picks we had. 

The John Franklin-Meyers pick made no sense to me, but I don't know Texan football like Wade Phillips does. Overall I think I just trust our staff right now, would like to see at least one veteran addition to our LB corp or maybe just resign Barwin at this point. 

I find it impossible to grade a draft without taking into account the off-season as a whole especially in our case where we traded our 1 for Cooks (better than any WR in this class, believe that) so as long as they move some pieces around and get a deal done with The Great One I am lumping this draft in with our whole off season and giving it an A+!

22 hours ago, MidSouthRam said:

Gee. My favorite selections were Okoronkwo, Allen, and Demby and my least favorite were they guys who seem to be the favorite of many in Kiser and Kelly. Go figure.

You aren't alone with that last remark. What do you like about Demby? 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:02 PM, Fragafootball said:

I didn't like our first two picks, not sure what to think of Noteboom, would have rather drafted Mason Cole or Alex Cappa. Crosby dropped all the way down to 153, so Cole and Crosby feel like a better fit than Noteboom and Allen. But overall we got Kiser and Obo which were players I really wanted out of this draft with the picks we had. 

The John Franklin-Meyers pick made no sense to me, but I don't know Texan football like Wade Phillips does. Overall I think I just trust our staff right now, would like to see at least one veteran addition to our LB corp or maybe just resign Barwin at this point. 

I find it impossible to grade a draft without taking into account the off-season as a whole especially in our case where we traded our 1 for Cooks (better than any WR in this class, believe that) so as long as they move some pieces around and get a deal done with The Great One I am lumping this draft in with our whole off season and giving it an A+!

Crosby was reportedly red-flagged by a number of teams for concussion concerns.  Sorry, but my own personal opinion is that I don't care what you or I or anyone else not in the organization have one guy rated as compared to another, if the one guy has significant concerns on his bill of health and the other one doesn't that absolutely has to factor in.

3 hours ago, chris00cm said:

He has the two thing you absolutely have to have to succeed as a pro OL: Very good hand and footwork, for one.  For another, he plays with a bully mentality - I know for a fact that's something Kromer covets because it was a trait New Orleans was specifically drafting for when he was the OL coach there and it was cited as one of the big selling factors that got Chicago to spend a 1st on Kyle Long when Kromer was the OL coach there.  Demby also showed during the All-Star period that he can climb the succession ladder and find success; he parlayed a really good week at the NFLPA game into a Senior Bowl invite and was a name I saw brought up with positive feedback by multiple folks I knew who were in attendance during Senior Bowl week.  He's a guard, not a tackle at the next level, but that's not a problem because we're likely looking at turnover at at least one of the guard spots within another year.

3 hours ago, chris00cm said:

Large human with grown-man strength, long arms and big hands for a guard, and good feet. He's not a tackle, but he's definitely the sort of player worth developing at OG. Probably won't ever be a dominant run blocker, but he has the potential to be a very good pass protector and solid run blocker. We'll have to make a tough choice or two on the OL next year. He could make that choice a lot easier.

On 5/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, Fragafootball said:

Personally, I was disappointed they went Center as early as they did. I didn't feel like any of those guys justified the pick. I think we would have done quite well grabbing Tony Adams in the 7th. I do trust Kromer to make the right call, but I'm surprised they didn't like Adams more. He just felt like a guy who would be a beautiful fit here at the pivot. Maybe they felt he wasn't ready enough and are concerned Sullivan might not stay healthy. I dunno. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Personally, I was disappointed they went Center as early as they did. I didn't feel like any of those guys justified the pick. I think we would have done quite well grabbing Tony Adams in the 7th. I do trust Kromer to make the right call, but I'm surprised they didn't like Adams more. He just felt like a guy who would be a beautiful fit here at the pivot. Maybe they felt he wasn't ready enough and are concerned Sullivan might not stay healthy. I dunno. 

To be fair, (and I've kind of observed the same with the Chargers where Kromer's former #2 is the OL coach) center doesn't appear to be as important a position to Kromer as elsewhere around the league.  Now don't get me wrong, Allen is a center-only prospect (I mean, he likely could fill at guard but I'd be worried as sin about him there) but that's really the only reason I thought the pick was bad value.  I get why Kromer likes him; he has the traits and background that have translated to the highest success rates in Kromer's scheme (toughness, amateur wrestling background, leadership - that's one thing about all three of the OL we drafted... each one of them were active and vocal leaders on their respective college lines).  So I'm ready to admit I could be wrong about how important the position is to Kromer, but Allen has similar traits to a lot of the guys that Kromer's favored previously at the position.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

To be fair, (and I've kind of observed the same with the Chargers where Kromer's former #2 is the OL coach) center doesn't appear to be as important a position to Kromer as elsewhere around the league.  Now don't get me wrong, Allen is a center-only prospect (I mean, he likely could fill at guard but I'd be worried as sin about him there) but that's really the only reason I thought the pick was bad value.  I get why Kromer likes him; he has the traits and background that have translated to the highest success rates in Kromer's scheme (toughness, amateur wrestling background, leadership - that's one thing about all three of the OL we drafted... each one of them were active and vocal leaders on their respective college lines).  So I'm ready to admit I could be wrong about how important the position is to Kromer, but Allen has similar traits to a lot of the guys that Kromer's favored previously at the position.

I agree. But I liked Adams because I felt like he possessed all of those same traits. I guess I was just hoping we'd use our 4th on someone who was a lot better than what we could find in the 6th/7th rounds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 4:35 PM, chris00cm said:

He looked pretty good to me during the Senior Bowl.

Anyway, I've always preferred big physical college OTs who move inside to OG in the NFL. The OGs who are at least somewhat capable of play OT always seem to be better, IMO.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, chris00cm said:

He fits the Kromer mold. Kromer has done quite well when it comes to turning big, strong, and long former college OTs into quality starting OGs. Demby also held his own at the Senior Bowl playing OT. The thing consistently said about him is that he has NFL strength and power.

Archived