Draft Discussion Thread

El Ramster

One thing I will say before anyone starts feeling glum about us not picking till the 3rd - go back and look at the last couple years' drafts and the guys (relative to how the media and even draft sites were ranking guys) who were still around in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  Typically the elite athlete types are gone, but for the sort of guys that we need - the guys who get knocked for the lack of substantial ceiling but have very good floors - they're still, quite often, still hanging around by that part of Day 2.

Remember last year when people - especially Draft Twitter and the late surge media guys - were penciling guys like Derek Rivers, Pat Elflein, Jordan Willis, Dan Feeney, and Carl Lawson into the bottom of the 1st, high-2nd round... and every one of them went pick #70 or later.  Now last year's class was undeniably deep, but draft sites, Draft Twitter, and TV draftniks all operate on the assumption that GM's and coaching staffs rate guys and value guys similarly to the way they do - and rarely take into account that a number of teams fall in love with guys and simply don't mind reaching for them.  Or that when three to four teams, at minimum, inevitably move up in the 1st round, that's going to take picks of teams with one group of needs out of the hands of those teams and put them into the hands of new teams with differing needs.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

One thing I will say before anyone starts feeling glum about us not picking till the 3rd - go back and look at the last couple years' drafts and the guys (relative to how the media and even draft sites were ranking guys) who were still around in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  Typically the elite athlete types are gone, but for the sort of guys that we need - the guys who get knocked for the lack of substantial ceiling but have very good floors - they're still, quite often, still hanging around by that part of Day 2.

Remember last year when people - especially Draft Twitter and the late surge media guys - were penciling guys like Derek Rivers, Pat Elflein, Jordan Willis, Dan Feeney, and Carl Lawson into the bottom of the 1st, high-2nd round... and every one of them went pick #70 or later.  Now last year's class was undeniably deep, but draft sites, Draft Twitter, and TV draftniks all operate on the assumption that GM's and coaching staffs rate guys and value guys similarly to the way they do - and rarely take into account that a number of teams fall in love with guys and simply don't mind reaching for them.  Or that when three to four teams, at minimum, inevitably move up in the 1st round, that's going to take picks of teams with one group of needs out of the hands of those teams and put them into the hands of new teams with differing needs.

If we can come away with Shaquem Griffin and Jeff Holland, we're not going to regret this trade.

Last year the Rams got Kupp and John Johnson in the 3rd round. Cooper, Zeurlein, Hekker (All-Pro players) were 3rd round picks or later. The Rams really need linebackers and interior linemen. Wade doesn’t put a premium on linebackers so he will find his type of linebackers in the later rounds. Very good interior linemen can be found in the later rounds too so overall the Rams are in great shape. Should still be a fun draft and when the Rams finally pick on Day 2, it will be interesting to see which direction they go and who they take. One thing I do know, the Rams are legit Super Bowl contenders. 

If we can somehow trade back into the 3rd with one of our 4ths and leave that round with Holland and Griffin, I may go streaking.

Best offseason ever, and I have faith in Mcvay  and Phillips that they will put it all together come gametime.

Couldn’t ‘like’ anymore posts today, but couldn’t agree more with the 4 previous posts. Loving this offseason. And it isn’t like we had an arsenal of 1’s and 2’s this year before we got COOKS. We had a later 1st. Could that one selection made as big of an impact as he will in the coming years? Possibly, but I kind of doubt that. 

All smiles here. :D Load up on talent/depth in our need positions in the middle rounds, and let’s roll. 

I’m guessing the Patriots (if they don’t move up) will use our 23 on someone like Mason Rudolph. From my viewpoint, it’s a solid move for them (but won’t have immediate impact for several seasons), but a HUGE get for us (Cooks) that will impact every snap on our top scoring offense immediately. 

10 hours ago, JonStark said:

If we can somehow trade back into the 3rd with one of our 4ths and leave that round with Holland and Griffin, I may go streaking.

Best offseason ever, and I have faith in Mcvay  and Phillips that they will put it all together come gametime.

Will be interesting to see.  I'm more-than-half expecting Les to trade back from our 3rd - probably only a marginal move, but enough to pick up a 5th probably -  and give us the ammo to move up from #111.  Either that or #111 is getting moved back slightly.  As I pointed out in the News Forum, I'm not sure the average non-Rams fan is quite as familiar with how often Les has made these marginal move-backs in recent drafts.

18 hours ago, The LBC said:

I still to this day have no idea how Chris Godwin dropped to the 3rd. Feel the same about Derek Rivers and Jordan Willis.

37 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

I still to this day have no idea how Chris Godwin dropped to the 3rd. Feel the same about Derek Rivers and Jordan Willis.

It's the thing that the majority of draft pundits never account for: That GM's and Coaches and Scouts are human and that as humans they are very much capable of falling in love with particular prospects - where two or three guys may be very similarly capable, but something one of them in particular said in an interview or did on tape sticks in their minds as making them the "have-to-have" option.

The other thing too is that lots of draft pundits underrate how much coaches in particular, but GM's as well, are willing to forgive "rawness" in the name of "potential."  I don't know that I'd call it out and out arrogance, but it's definitely an (over?)confidence in their own abilities that, "this guy may be raw, but my system or my staff are clearly capable of getting him to maximize that all that potential he's got and polish that diamond."  It's not just something that's limited to the NFL either, it's pretty widespread across professional sports.

Archived