Draft Discussion Thread

El Ramster

I want to throw this idea out there that may not have been discussed yet as we approach the draft. What if we trade up into the late 2nd round or top of 3rd. What would we need to give up to do this? I'm thinking our 3rd and one of our 4ths. Also, who can we move in  trade to get up higher? Mark Barron comes to mind on the defensive side of the ball as he is the only "non fit" remaining. Tavon Austin, Jamon Brown, Havenstein, Saffold, Higbee all seem possible from the offensive side of the ball to move us up in the draft. Let me know everyone's thoughts on this scenario.

12 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I want to throw this idea out there that may not have been discussed yet as we approach the draft. What if we trade up into the late 2nd round or top of 3rd. What would we need to give up to do this? I'm thinking our 3rd and one of our 4ths. Also, who can we move in  trade to get up higher? Mark Barron comes to mind on the defensive side of the ball as he is the only "non fit" remaining. Tavon Austin, Jamon Brown, Havenstein, Saffold, Higbee all seem possible from the offensive side of the ball to move us up in the draft. Let me know everyone's thoughts on this scenario.

I think moving Barron is a possibility, but I think we hold our offensive players. I don't think Tavon is tradeable. 

From Peter King's column:-

“This is not your typical draft,” said one veteran club official Sunday. “The second, third and even fourth rounds are gold. You can take less than the trade-value chart says and still make a very good trade if you get multiple picks in those rounds.”

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

To get up in the second, it would probably take atleast 2 of our 4th rounders. Just up in the 3rd, one of them (weve seen alot of this in the mocks around here) and dont forget we have future draft capital to use as well.

As for Rostered guys, Sure Barron may be moved, Tavon definitely wont, Possibly Higbee if they are done with him (not sure that they are) and on the very unlikely situation, Brown could be dealt but I HIGHLY doubt it

So just looking over the lesser-known names among our visits and a couple guys stand out to me who I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at as selections in the 6th round:

Mike Ford - CB - SE Missouri State  - He's still fairly raw for the position (CB-convert from WR) but his coordination in transition (particularly his hips and footwork) are shockingly clean for someone who has only played CB for 3 years total.  There's a lot of potential here, particularly as someone who could apprentice under Talib for the two years Aqib has remaining on his contract.  He's a proven enough gunner on ST's that he can maintain a roster spot or could be a practice squad candidate early on.  He and the kid out of Dubuque (Michael Joseph) are probably my two favorite small-school sleepers at CB this year.

Jake Martin - LB - Temple  - Could be a sneaky ILB-convert who could, with time, stick on the field as a nickel-backer.  Kind of a similar situation in use at Temple to what Herc Mataafa got at Washington State.  Most sites are listing him as an EDGE, but I don't see the anchor or the ability to handle length on the outside.  But he has three of the traits that Wade covets: Toughness (he's a legitimate War Daddy if we're going off attitude alone), intelligence/instincts, and versatility.

Jamil Demby - OG - Maine - I tend to see Demby's future projecting better at guard than tackle, but he could likely play some tackle at the next level in a pinch.  There are some handwork matters he needs to clean up which should help improve his ability to sustain blocks better in the run game (he strikes higher than he ought to so he's tending to have to readjust or re-strike a la a sumo wrestler rather than getting a good latch to the breastplate).  His recognition skills are plus though.  He actually reminds me, play-style wise, of Saffold when Saffold was a prospect, just with a different body type (he's wider than Saffold is and Saffold was a bit more bendy).

Trayvon Henderson - S - Hawaii - I can't tell you how happy I was to see us bring him in for visit because he's been one of "my guys" all draft season.  This is who I've had tabbed for us for a while as, worst case scenario, our Hawk Davis replacement.  He actually reminds me a lot of Hawk: Chip-on-the-shoulder type player who can capably cover TE's and has experience at both safety spots as well as a TON standout of ST experience.

Mat Boesen - EDGE - TCU - I was familiar with him before because I tend to keep tabs on the local Long Beach kids (Boesen went to Long Beach Community College before transferring to TCU).  He's a shade undersized, but you'd never know it watching him play.  Strong-side edge player who I'd probably prefer to bring in as a UDFA but if we draft him in the 6th I'll trust that Wade liked what I saw as much or more than I did.  His game against Baylor (yes, I realize Baylor is terrible) is the stuff of legend: Six sacks, three hits, 14 total pressures, eight total defensive stops, and a forced fumble.  And he's a rock solid run defender.

7 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

From Peter King's column:-

“This is not your typical draft,” said one veteran club official Sunday. “The second, third and even fourth rounds are gold. You can take less than the trade-value chart says and still make a very good trade if you get multiple picks in those rounds.”

I feel like this is said every single year. 

19 minutes ago, DEE RAWL said:

I feel like this is said every single year. 

Given the still-steadily increasing amount of underclassmen who declare each year, thus filling out the draft pool (particularly that pool of non-blue-chip but still good) even more, it's a pretty righteous statement.

Archived