Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Olewale- hardly even played. Gruden went with a athletic run blocking FB. don't see what your deal is?

When he did play in 2016, he made a lot of plays and created mismatches with LBs. He didn't play in 2017 because well.... Todd Downing.

22 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Doug Martin was a cheap camp invite. remember the Bill game when Lynch was suspended.

There is no evidence he's a 'camp invite'. He's paltry 2.9 YPC average won't be much if Lynch misses time.

24 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Lynch still showed explosion in the 2nd half of the year, better as the year went on.. more impression with the horrible play calling

This is the cliché fan line. Fact is, he's 32 and who knows if 1) he can stay healthy as feature back and 2) the wheels don't just come off. You can't rely on what a 32 year old back did last year. He could completely decline from the end of season to the next. It happens all the time (see Adrian Peterson). 

26 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Patterson so overrated on here. all pro kick returner, yes... but rule changes took out the KR. not a good wideout, had a chance to step up last year and didn't...overpaid and won't be missed

Agree. But he at least added some speed and a change up

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Spotlight is on Gruden to prove everyone wrong. It was easy to laugh off his "1998 comments" at the time. But looking at the moves made, it's concerning. 

Downgraded WR to an older/slower version. Shipped out to of the better athletes on the team (Patterson/Olawale) in favor of a 'traditional' FB. Signed not 1, but 2 blocking TEs. Signed a 29 year has-been back up. Kept a 32 year old has-been.

This certainly doesn't have the look of an offense that will be multiple, dynamic, play mismatches. It has the look of what Gruden's always done. I am less inspired by the day here with this offense. On paper today, they look old and slow at the skills outside Cooper. 

Do you really believe Lynch is a has been? I understand your position with regards to keeping Lynch and him blocking the picking of a RB early in the draft and that his histrionics are certainly tiresome, but he looked anything but past it at the end of the season when he was given more of the ball. 

I know where your coming from with the offense and it's easy to make comparisons between Gruden's decisions now and his previous incarnations but there is an equal chance of things turning out well than badly. Last year was a joke and it looks fairly evident that the coaches top to bottom and certainly Downing were responsible for turning good players bad. If Gruden and his team can turn our o-line into what it was, Cooper into a properly utilised threat - if Lynch is as he was at the end of last season and if Nelson can help restore some hands, move chains and help with the group off pitch and (most importantly) if Carr can rediscover his mojo then things might not be as bad as you make out. All of these things are just as likely as not imo.

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

When he did play in 2016, he made a lot of plays and created mismatches with LBs. He didn't play in 2017 because well.... Todd Downing.

There is no evidence he's a 'camp invite'. He's paltry 2.9 YPC average won't be much if Lynch misses time.

This is the cliché fan line. Fact is, he's 32 and who knows if 1) he can stay healthy as feature back and 2) the wheels don't just come off. You can't rely on what a 32 year old back did last year. He could completely decline from the end of season to the next. It happens all the time (see Adrian Peterson). 

Agree. But he at least added some speed and a change up

I would still draft a young RB behind Lynch. until Martin salary is announced , I'm assuming the hometown kid is taking less to get a shot to redeem himself

31 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Do you really believe Lynch is a has been? I understand your position with regards to keeping Lynch and him blocking the picking of a RB early in the draft and that his histrionics are certainly tiresome, but he looked anything but past it at the end of the season when he was given more of the ball. 

I know where your coming from with the offense and it's easy to make comparisons between Gruden's decisions now and his previous incarnations but there is an equal chance of things turning out well than badly. Last year was a joke and it looks fairly evident that the coaches top to bottom and certainly Downing were responsible for turning good players bad. If Gruden and his team can turn our o-line into what it was, Cooper into a properly utilised threat - if Lynch is as he was at the end of last season and if Nelson can help restore some hands, move chains and help with the group off pitch and (most importantly) if Carr can rediscover his mojo then things might not be as bad as you make out. All of these things are just as likely as not imo.

Yes. Lynch is a has-been. His best football is far behind him. Odds of him breaking down further this year are higher than him being a quality feature back.

Lot of ifs. Two biggest, Cooper and Carr returning to 2016 form. Oline... do I trust Cable who's historically had pretty poor Olines, no. I do trust the talent however.  I don't trust Nelson to show any resurgence. Nor do I trust Lynch to resemble anything more than an average RB. 

What I see is an offense that has no playmakers unless Cooper can rebound. Carr can't do it on his own, he needs a supporting cast. The draft is going to paramount to any improvement. Right now, I see an 8 win team. 

25 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would still draft a young RB behind Lynch. until Martin salary is announced , I'm assuming the hometown kid is taking less to get a shot to redeem himself

I'm sure they will. It will just be late and they will miss out on an awesome top heavy group in rounds 1-3.

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm sure they will. It will just be late and they will miss out on an awesome top heavy group in rounds 1-3.

I like the people that we signed for this year, but like I said before I don't like it for future years. As NightTrainLane said, we have 2 drafts and next years FA to get younger.

Considering all the positions we need to get youthful talent at, which ones would you hope are addressed with immediate playmakers in Rounds 1/2  this year, and which positions would you want addressed with projects in rounds 3-5? 

I honestly think that their reason for keeping lynch is that we are not in a spot to go rb in the first and really need defense. There’s a chance that most of the second tier guys are gone round two because of the rb needy teams in front of us. Don’t want to reach there either.

If a guy like Sony Michel is still there when we pick, I think we pull the trigger. Think we just want to have an option unless who we want isn’t there. Most teams don’t go into the season with a third round rookie at rb. Hunt only started week one bc Ware got hurt. I want an explosive three down back as much as everybody else. Just trying to make sense of things.

8 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

I honestly think that their reason for keeping lynch is that we are not in a spot to go rb in the first and really need defense. There’s a chance that most of the second tier guys are gone round two because of the rb needy teams in front of us. Don’t want to reach there either.

If a guy like Sony Michel is still there when we pick, I think we pull the trigger. Think we just want to have an option unless who we want isn’t there. Most teams don’t go into the season with a third round rookie at rb. Hunt only started week one bc Ware got hurt. I want an explosive three down back as much as everybody else. Just trying to make sense of things.

I agree, if a guy like Barkley isn't there for us I'd rather much rather address a more important position of need. Most of the top rated prospects at #10 are going to be OT's, pass rushers, CB's etc

Edit: However, 3rd and 4th round Rb's often do make more of a splash in their first year than other positions. RB's you can grab later in the rounds and is a much safer pick. 

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

I like the people that we signed for this year, but like I said before I don't like it for future years. As NightTrainLane said, we have 2 drafts and next years FA to get younger.

Considering all the positions we need to get youthful talent at, which ones would you hope are addressed with immediate playmakers in Rounds 1/2  this year, and which positions would you want addressed with projects in rounds 3-5? 

Rd. 1-2 - LB and RB - I see the biggest impact guys in this group going early. 

3-5 - DT / CB / OT / WR 

2 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

I know many ppl have speculated John Kelly to us and I can’t help agreeing. Runs tough, great hands, quick, and we can prob get him in the 3rd or 4th.

I can’t see us keeping both of the smurfs. 

Meh... more of the same IMO. He's not a dynamic, every down back. Just another committee guy which I personally don't want to see. 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Meh... more of the same IMO. He's not a dynamic, every down back. Just another committee guy which I personally don't want to see. 

This I agree with. If we're gonna take a back, it has to be a feature back, which is Michel, Chubb, Guice (won't drop to the 2nd though), or Penny.

Archived