Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

Is Jon Gruden hard on QBs?

yes and rightfully so but Carr is different player than his past QBs.

He’s by far better than any other QB Gruden had when taking over a team.

He’s not some career backup  that Gruden had to ride to get the best from.

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Every post you make is a slight on Carr. You even whined about him not taking snaps under center last year when he broke his finger. 

To now try and claim you are a big Carr fan is flat out embarrassing, you’d get more respect by admitting you dont like him. 

Funny how you keep up with everyone of my posts, didn't know you were a fan like that sir. Good to know.

I am a big Carr fan. I actually own more Raiders merchandise with his # on it than any other Raider. I praise him when he deserves it and I am critical of him when I see fit. Just because I don't drop down and constantly make excuses at every turn for him doesn't make me a hater.

And I do remember advocating for Carr to possibly sit out last year until his finger was healed because he was limiting our offense. We literally called a game last year from pure shotgun formation. This was also at a time I believed McGloin was halfway decent.

35 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

That's actually a pretty embarrassing quote from Carr's brother to throw religion into it.

I'm not religious and I don't think this is embarrassing. Not sure why some feel like this.

Just standing for what they believe in. If it's their way of life, of course it will be involved in their profession and on their social media.

Just dismiss it if it isn't yours.

13 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'm not religious and I don't think this is embarrassing. Not sure why some feel like this.

Just standing for what they believe in. If it's their way of life, of course it will be involved in their profession and on their social media.

This. And regardless..... that was the tone of PFT's article. It's the whole "Reggie drafts choir boys" stuff we hear in here every year. It somehow makes them soft according to some fans.

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If you are referring to the Athletic article I don't have a subscription so this PFT article was really the only negative off the field story I was aware of recently that was concerning Carr. Certainly didn't know there was a "witch hunt" occurring.

Apparently Greg Papa was on the Radio yesterday expressing concern about the future Gruden-Carr-Gannon relationship so that may be PFTs source right there. 

Atleast you staying on topic now but Papa wasn't the one spearheading the Carr stuff. I download and listen to his show almost every day. It was more Gannon and Harlon stating what they have seen from him and how Gruden and Gannon would help and demand more from him. They expressed that Carr maybe isn't use to the way they may want instill perfection and discipline in the offense but they would have to work to get him there. Papa was asking questions and generally being a good host.

39 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Um, I have no problem at all with the Carr's expressing their beliefs, but there was no need to bring up religion there in regards to that article. Just an unnecessary card to pull by Carr's brother because he didn't like the tone of the article.

People think Carr is soft because of the way he plays. I don't believe that perception of him comes from his beliefs. At least I hope it doesn't.

2 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Um, I have no problem at all with the Carr's expressing their beliefs, but there was no need to bring up religion there in regards to that article. Just an unnecessary card to pull by Carr's brother because he didn't like the tone of the article.

People think Carr is soft because of the way he plays. I don't believe that perception of him comes from his beliefs. At least I hope it doesn't.

I think the perception does mostly come from his beliefs and his demeanor which is a byproduct of his faith. I think the "soft" moniker comes from there more than the field for sure. I would say only a few shortsighted people would attribute that moniker to him from his play on the field. Because the team used more short timing routes this year than last, a narrative started that he was scared or something. We all gave into it at least a little with the injury history and the offensive struggles. I think that had more to do with the offense and the lack of execution than him actually being soft or scared in the pocket.

Before you jump down my throat, yes, I do believe there were times he felt the rush but every QB in the league does. No one stands in and delivers 100% of the time in the face of pressure. Not even 70% of the time IMO. Give me tape on the GOAT, Big Ben, Brees and Rodgers and you will see times when the rush is getting close and they either get flustered (and make a bad throw or throw it away) or get flush from the pocket. I think Carr needs to do a better job improvising in the pocket with his feet. It was something Gannon brought up in his interview with Papa.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

What the hell? lol

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I think the perception does mostly come from his beliefs and his demeanor which is a byproduct of his faith. I think the "soft" moniker comes from there more than the field for sure. 

Well Tim Tebow was another guy who wore his faith on his sleeves and carried himself similarly to DC, and nobody called him soft. Obviously he had a much different playing style but I dont remember people calling him soft because of his faith/demeanor. 

Anyways im off the whole religion talk. Just thought it was an unnecessary card to pull by Carr's bro in response to the article.  

Just now, SilverNBlackFan said:

Well Tim Tebow was another guy who wore his faith on his sleeves and carried himself similarly to DC, and nobody called him soft. Obviously he had a much different playing style but I dont remember people calling him soft because of his faith/demeanor. 

Anyways im off the whole religion talk. Just thought it was an unnecessary card to pull by Carr's bro in response to the article.  

The fact that Tebow was 6'3 240 and ran around the field like he was a MLB kinda undercuts anyone thinking that. Like you, said very different.

Most things on twitter are unnecessary but Darren was responding to a critical article that implied his family member was soft and the implied reason in his mind was his faith and demeanor. In no way is a defense showing that, to them, that faith is a source of strength unnecessary.

I'm glad that Derek has someone (like many athletes do) to do the minor lifting on things like this.

Anyone questioning Carr's physical toughness is blind, he plays injured almost every season. However this last season he did play scared, which is different. I think if the offense produces like it did last year he'll play with more confidence. Hard to be confident when it no one gets open and everyone drops your passes.

5 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Is Jon Gruden hard on QBs?

yes and rightfully so but Carr is different player than his past QBs.

He’s by far better than any other QB Gruden had when taking over a team.

He’s not some career backup  that Gruden had to ride to get the best from.

Very true, and overlooked in among all this "Carr won't be able to handle Gruden" nonsense.

Jon Gruden coached Brad Johnson, Chris Simms, Brian Griese, Bruce Gradkowski, and a 90-year-old Jeff Garcia in Tampa.

Bet he can't wait to work with Derek Carr.

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

The article didn’t bring up Carr’s beliefs at all. His brother defended Carr against an accusation PFT didn’t make.

Archived