Packerraymond Fixing the Packers Mock V2

Packerraymond

Re-signings:

Jahri Evans RG (1/2m)

Aaron Rodgers (3/90 full guaranteed, provides 10m of cap space in 2018 giving us around 30m)

Free Agents (Graham and Wilkerson already included)

WR Jeremy Maclin (1/6m): Was a borderline star in the Eagles system who fell off the map with Alex Smith and Joe Flacco, worth a shot as a #2 as he was always a legit deep threat. We'll see if Aaron Rodgers can revive his career.

CB Tramon Williams (1/2m): Not even sure what Gute is waiting on at this point, played with Pettine, was great last year in ARI, just freakin sign him damnit.

CB Dontae Johnson (2/4m): Guy has been pretty bad so far. H/W/S guy that will battle with Pipkins/Hawkins for that last spot. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle, otherwise you have little to no dead cap if cut.

EDGE Elvis Dumervil (1/4m): Replaces Brooks as the vet situational rusher.

EDGE Lamarr Houston (1/2m): Costs the Bears a lot of money and never stayed healthy. Had 4 sacks in the final 6 games. Type of signing I think Gute will be all over, showed he still has the skills and is only 30.

The Draft: Pick 14 comes up, Ward, James and Fitzpatrick are all off the board. Gute knows he still needs his #2 CB and has a group of 4 CBs all with a similar grade left. The Bengals moved down to get Cordy Glenn and sit at 21, no OT's have been taken and they have an extra 3rd from a comp, so they call and offer 21 and 77 to move up and grab their top OT on the board as the Ravens, Seahawks and Cowboys have all been linked to OT's in FA.

Round 1: Isaiah Oliver 6'0 201 CB; Colorado:

Oliver is the best pairing for King, as he has the most similar skillset. Alexander and Hughes are more aggressive, Oliver is the best pure cover guy. Longest arms of any CB in the draft this year, he'll be another guy we can press at the LOS with King. Gives Pettine two long-armed, tall, press CB's that can play man. Opens up the ability to blitz to create pressure. I don't think Oliver will be a big turnover guy, so this does create a bit of a hole in that department (Honey Badger would've looked real good here Gute), but the ultimate goal for a DB is to prevent catches and I think Oliver will be the best at that among the corners after Ward.

isaiah-oliver.jpg?w=525

Round 2: Jessie Bates 6'1 200 DB; Wake Forest:

Meet the take away guy. Bates reminds me a lot of Micah Hyde, extremely productive, instinctive DB that I know will be extremely high on the Packers draft board. This is the kind of DB we target, acceptable speed for the size (4.5), long, productive and instincts jump on tape. Bates can play S or nickel, a lot like Hyde. His versatility will also be key in a young secondary that loses Burnett, Randall and House.

IpWWocSi_400x400.jpg

Round 3: DaeSean Hamilton: 6'1 202 WR; Penn State:

Most NFL ready WR I've watched this year. Hamilton is ready to come into an NFL offense and produce this season. He reminds me a ton of Davante Adams. Routes are twitchy and something he's obviously put a lot of work into. Head fakes, steams and releases are all NFL level. Hands catcher who has some after catch ability as well. Body size, production, routes and overall NFL readiness fall right in line with Jennings/Jones/Adams/Nelson and I can bet Hamilton will also be high on our board.

daesean-hamilton-2018-ee28f1789fc397f3.j

Round 3: Duke Ejiofor 6'3 265 EDGE; Wake Forest:

Ejiofor is a bit of a gamble coming off a labrum injury that won't allow him to workout before the draft. You're going off 100% his film and hoping he's enough of an athlete to succeed as a rusher in the NFL. However once you get to round 3, I feel the tape is better than any of his competition. A guy like Josh Sweat might get here but that means his knee is a time bomb. With Dumervil and Houston as situational rusher, Ejiofor gets a chance to start slowly and play more as the year goes on. He's got late 1/mid 2 tape and production, a gamble here that could pay off.

maxresdefault-1-e1516896982175.jpg?fit=5

Round 4: Joseph Noteboom 6'5 306 OL; TCU:

Noteboom is a guy that's come on the radar for me as a Packer pick. A long-armed OL that played multiple positions at TCU and has the agility numbers to be a Packers pick. Probably looking at a player similar to Murphy. LG/RG/RT potential starter with the ability to play LT in a pinch.

hqdefault.jpg

Round 4: Kemoko Turay 6'4 252 EDGE; Rutgers:

Comp picks are for risks IMO, free pick to use for someone you hopefully replaced last year. Turay is a classic boom/bust. I think athletically he has it all. Was at a dumpster fire football program that had him regress from freshman to senior year, but he's got tools to work with and a redshirt NFL year might do him wonders.

DX0cbzxVwAAOdrs.jpg

Round 5: Jordan Thomas 6'0 187 CB; Oklahoma:

Taking a shot on some numbers here, the 40 wasn't good, yet his other numbers are outstanding, like breaking the 3 cone record outstanding. He obviously has explosion then, I'm thinking that plays well into a slot guy. We lost Randall, so an explosive, twitchy guy with some length in the slot could benefit us here.

320x180.jpg

Round 5: Troy Fumagalli 6'5 247 TE; Wisconsin:

Supposedly the Packers love this guy, so I'll throw him in here. Replaces Rich Rod as the 3rd TE, I'm not sure he profiles as anything more than Rich Rod did, but we'll see.

hqdefault.jpg

Round 5: 

Colby Gossett 6'4 306 OG; App State:

Gossett is another guy with pretty solid measurables and agility numbers meeting the Packers requirements. Also played both tackle and guard at App State.

0069461529.0818ef96e71de1bf167b927f90951

Round 6: Dorian O' Daniel 6'0 220 LB; Clemson:

Joe Thomas might not be back, O' Daniel can fill that role and is one of the best ST players in the draft. Fine value in the 6th.

odaniel_gt-479.JPG

Round 6: Daurice Fountain 6'1 210 WR; Northern Iowa:

Best player at the Shrine Game, Combine and Senior Bowl snub. Worth a shot to me, would like to see him in our camp. Madison, WI kid.

news-552x310-113539-1516753537.jpg

Round 7: Andre Chachere 6'0 197 CB; San Jose State

Late round CB worth a flyer, decent production and athletic numbers. We add 4 DBs to the fold and hope something sticks.

preview.jpg?s=460x

Round 7: Deon Yelder 6'3 250 TE; Western Kentucky

Bring another TE to camp, Yelder had good college production and seems to be an acceptable athlete.

Circle-Yelder.jpg

Love Oliver at CB.

You are certainly higher on Bates than I am, but for a hybrid slot/safety, I can see the fit.  

Really like Noteboom as a GB OL type.  

Lots of potential in the EDGE group and later round picks.  

Feel the EDGE group is banking on one of the vets or rookies to provide significant snaps.  Might be a risk that has to be taken in the end

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Love Oliver at CB.

You are certainly higher on Bates than I am, but for a hybrid slot/safety, I can see the fit.  

Really like Noteboom as a GB OL type.  

Lots of potential in the EDGE group and later round picks.  

Feel the EDGE group is banking on one of the vets or rookies to provide significant snaps.  Might be a risk that has to be taken in the end

I love Bates and I'm pretty confident the Packers will too. Hybrid guy that will remind a lot of folks of Hyde, but I think Bates is a bit more athletic. 

Unfortunately at this point I feel like you can confidently fix the DB's or confidently fix the EDGE position long term, the other you're just going to have to hope you're going to get lucky. With Matthews and Perry already on the roster, I think DB is the choice.

I had higher needs than safety in round two (though Bates could end up a bargain).

I thought you made the right choice of Ejiofor over Sweat. Sweat is the better player but cannot stay healthy. Ejiofor isn't the fastest guy, but he is powerful,  likes the film room, does a good job swatting hands away and has a non-stop motor. It will be a bit of a step up, coming from Wake Forest, but i like him.

Plenty of solid picks. I'd still prefer OLB, CB, in rounds 1,2, but your draft is fine and addresses the needs in a different way.

Works for me.

Lots of DBs and EDGE guys.

Music to my ears: "Oliver is the best pure cover guy. Longest arms of any CB in the draft this year, he'll be another guy we can press at the LOS with King. Gives Pettine two long-armed, tall, press CB's that can play man. Opens up the ability to blitz to create pressure. I don't think Oliver will be a big turnover guy, so this does create a bit of a hole in that department (Honey Badger would've looked real good here Gute), but the ultimate goal for a DB is to prevent catches and I think Oliver will be the best at that among the corners after Ward"

Operative term: Coverage. Further defined: Tight Coverage.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Works for me.

Lots of DBs and EDGE guys.

Music to my ears: "Oliver is the best pure cover guy. Longest arms of any CB in the draft this year, he'll be another guy we can press at the LOS with King. Gives Pettine two long-armed, tall, press CB's that can play man. Opens up the ability to blitz to create pressure. I don't think Oliver will be a big turnover guy, so this does create a bit of a hole in that department (Honey Badger would've looked real good here Gute), but the ultimate goal for a DB is to prevent catches and I think Oliver will be the best at that among the corners after Ward"

Operative term: Coverage. Further defined: Tight Coverage.

Honestly, I truly believe if we sign Tramon, he will lead the team in INTs in 2018. He is a turnover guy. Guy still sees it before it happens and you can't teach that. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, I truly believe if we sign Tramon, he will lead the team in INTs in 2018. He is a turnover guy. Guy still sees it before it happens and you can't teach that. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if he didn't have to worry about being  the 1-2 and can roam a bit as a nickel/dime guy.

i've only watched TE's and S's extensively, but Bates & Fumagalli were two of my least favorites at their respective positions personally. if justin reid was on the board there too, i'd be pretty upset. i'd even reach for kyzir white over drafting bates tbh. and fumagalli's kinda w/e. nothing about his game makes me want him on the roster. wisconsin accents also really irk me, so that just may be it tbh.  it's the 5th round so i'm not mad at it.

but.. i did just start really watching corners, and i like oliver a lot. no opinions on anything else yet. do like signing maclin though. 

7 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

i've only watched TE's and S's extensively, but Bates & Fumagalli were two of my least favorites at their respective positions personally. if justin reid was on the board there too, i'd be pretty upset. i'd even reach for kyzir white over drafting bates tbh. and fumagalli's kinda w/e. nothing about his game makes me want him on the roster. wisconsin accents also really irk me, so that just may be it tbh.  it's the 5th round so i'm not mad at it.

but.. i did just start really watching corners, and i like oliver a lot. no opinions on anything else yet. do like signing maclin though. 

Yeah I know you're not a Bates guy, that's the style this FO wants though. Did you watch the Florida State game? That's some first round tape. Struggles a little bit against A & M in the bowl game tackling, but his coverage was solid as usual, houses a punt in that game too.

Packers are rumored to like Bates. I liked the idea better in the third round, but don't think he'll make it there now. Since the market is ice cold for Burnett I wonder if I would rather try to sign him for maybe 3/18 and free up our 2nd in this scenario, or any scenario at this point. Most importantly it all hinges on Jones. I just don't know about that guy in coverage. 

I can definitely get on board with this. I like both Oliver and Bates, can't say I know much about Hamilton. I like Ejiofor but I think you're getting more a technician then an athlete there and there's nothing wrong with that. Overall, I think this really shores up our secondary and gives us a 53 Man roster I'd feel really comfortable with for the 2018 season. Well done bro.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Did you watch the Florida State game? That's some first round tape. 

nah i didn't, but i'll save it to talk myself into this pick when it inevitably happens

i get why people like him and could easily see him being a valuable player in the league. just can't get excited about him and isn't the kinda of safety i like. my opinions really hold zero merit though, im still riding the calvin pryor, dj swearinger (he good now? i dunno) trains. 

Don't see that much more being done in Free agency. Especially at EDGE.

Like the draft picks but really hope TE is bolstered up earlier. 

Like Oliver, a lot but wouldn't want to trade back with Landry still on the board. Hopefully Gutey does something soon to make sure there is a little more depth at CB like you did in free agency with Tramon.

Archived