Packerraymond Fixing the Packers Mock V2

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, ArthurPensky said:

Don't see that much more being done in Free agency. Especially at EDGE.

Like the draft picks but really hope TE is bolstered up earlier. 

Like Oliver, a lot but wouldn't want to trade back with Landry still on the board. Hopefully Gutey does something soon to make sure there is a little more depth at CB like you did in free agency with Tramon.

The only thing that really would stop us from being that active is resigning Burnett.

We have 20m in space with another 10 most likely coming from Aaron. I'm carrying over 10m in this case which is more than Ted ever did. If Gute carries over more than 10m he deserves all the backlash the fans and media will give him from leaving money on the table in a year where you gain a ton of cap space next year and only really have HHCD to re-sign. Might as well throw a lot of budget priced darts on the board. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, I truly believe if we sign Tramon, he will lead the team in INTs in 2018. He is a turnover guy. Guy still sees it before it happens and you can't teach that. 

That could be. LISTEN - we need fast, mean spirited, tight coverage, playmakers in the Secondary. It's my ball and if you catch it I'll break your forearms (in an NFL approved method of course....) kinda guys.

So weed em out and load it up. Let's END the bleeding back there. Finally (or for the first time since Tramon left and we began this CB journey if you need a specific time period) :)

I absolutely hate every washed up free agent you still want to sign. Then the draft itself made me almost throw up a little in my mouth. If we don't get an EDGE rusher in round 1 or 2 Gute needs to be fired. I'm OK with the trade down ASSUMING the top EDGE rushers and Ward are gone. Although the lack of value for moving down 7 spots in the first round is irritating as it should net us a second not a third. 

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Packers are rumored to like Bates. I liked the idea better in the third round, but don't think he'll make it there now. Since the market is ice cold for Burnett I wonder if I would rather try to sign him for maybe 3/18 and free up our 2nd in this scenario, or any scenario at this point. Most importantly it all hinges on Jones. I just don't know about that guy in coverage. 

If the market is cold on Burnett you sign him 1/6 and not 3/18. Splitting hairs, but I don’t think we’re interested.

Josh Jones was a Gute pick, and I bet he gives him the chance to play this year.

- - -As for the mock- - -

Love the picks. Dig Oliver especially in a move back, and like the positions and descriptions of the players you took. Not sure we go 6’5 on the OL unless he’s Left Tackle material. 

Not a Maclin fan. I’d rather bring Burnett back for insurance at Safety and go WR earlier - but honestly I’m fine feeding Adams, Graham, and Cobb this year.

40 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I absolutely hate every washed up free agent you still want to sign. Then the draft itself made me almost throw up a little in my mouth. If we don't get an EDGE rusher in round 1 or 2 Gute needs to be fired. I'm OK with the trade down ASSUMING the top EDGE rushers and Ward are gone. Although the lack of value for moving down 7 spots in the first round is irritating as it should net us a second not a third. 

Now tell us how you really feel. 

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Re-signings:

Jahri Evans RG (1/2m)

Aaron Rodgers (3/90 full guaranteed, provides 10m of cap space in 2018 giving us around 30m)

Free Agents (Graham and Wilkerson already included)

WR Jeremy Maclin (1/6m): Was a borderline star in the Eagles system who fell off the map with Alex Smith and Joe Flacco, worth a shot as a #2 as he was always a legit deep threat. We'll see if Aaron Rodgers can revive his career.

CB Tramon Williams (1/2m): Not even sure what Gute is waiting on at this point, played with Pettine, was great last year in ARI, just freakin sign him damnit.

CB Dontae Johnson (2/4m): Guy has been pretty bad so far. H/W/S guy that will battle with Pipkins/Hawkins for that last spot. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle, otherwise you have little to no dead cap if cut.

EDGE Elvis Dumervil (1/4m): Replaces Brooks as the vet situational rusher.

EDGE Lamarr Houston (1/2m): Costs the Bears a lot of money and never stayed healthy. Had 4 sacks in the final 6 games. Type of signing I think Gute will be all over, showed he still has the skills and is only 30.

The Draft: Pick 14 comes up, Ward, James and Fitzpatrick are all off the board. Gute knows he still needs his #2 CB and has a group of 4 CBs all with a similar grade left. The Bengals moved down to get Cordy Glenn and sit at 21, no OT's have been taken and they have an extra 3rd from a comp, so they call and offer 21 and 77 to move up and grab their top OT on the board as the Ravens, Seahawks and Cowboys have all been linked to OT's in FA.

Round 1: Isaiah Oliver 6'0 201 CB; Colorado:

Oliver is the best pairing for King, as he has the most similar skillset. Alexander and Hughes are more aggressive, Oliver is the best pure cover guy. Longest arms of any CB in the draft this year, he'll be another guy we can press at the LOS with King. Gives Pettine two long-armed, tall, press CB's that can play man. Opens up the ability to blitz to create pressure. I don't think Oliver will be a big turnover guy, so this does create a bit of a hole in that department (Honey Badger would've looked real good here Gute), but the ultimate goal for a DB is to prevent catches and I think Oliver will be the best at that among the corners after Ward.

isaiah-oliver.jpg?w=525

Round 2: Jessie Bates 6'1 200 DB; Wake Forest:

Meet the take away guy. Bates reminds me a lot of Micah Hyde, extremely productive, instinctive DB that I know will be extremely high on the Packers draft board. This is the kind of DB we target, acceptable speed for the size (4.5), long, productive and instincts jump on tape. Bates can play S or nickel, a lot like Hyde. His versatility will also be key in a young secondary that loses Burnett, Randall and House.

IpWWocSi_400x400.jpg

Round 3: DaeSean Hamilton: 6'1 202 WR; Penn State:

Most NFL ready WR I've watched this year. Hamilton is ready to come into an NFL offense and produce this season. He reminds me a ton of Davante Adams. Routes are twitchy and something he's obviously put a lot of work into. Head fakes, steams and releases are all NFL level. Hands catcher who has some after catch ability as well. Body size, production, routes and overall NFL readiness fall right in line with Jennings/Jones/Adams/Nelson and I can bet Hamilton will also be high on our board.

daesean-hamilton-2018-ee28f1789fc397f3.j

Round 3: Duke Ejiofor 6'3 265 EDGE; Wake Forest:

Ejiofor is a bit of a gamble coming off a labrum injury that won't allow him to workout before the draft. You're going off 100% his film and hoping he's enough of an athlete to succeed as a rusher in the NFL. However once you get to round 3, I feel the tape is better than any of his competition. A guy like Josh Sweat might get here but that means his knee is a time bomb. With Dumervil and Houston as situational rusher, Ejiofor gets a chance to start slowly and play more as the year goes on. He's got late 1/mid 2 tape and production, a gamble here that could pay off.

maxresdefault-1-e1516896982175.jpg?fit=5

Round 4: Joseph Noteboom 6'5 306 OL; TCU:

Noteboom is a guy that's come on the radar for me as a Packer pick. A long-armed OL that played multiple positions at TCU and has the agility numbers to be a Packers pick. Probably looking at a player similar to Murphy. LG/RG/RT potential starter with the ability to play LT in a pinch.

hqdefault.jpg

Round 4: Kemoko Turay 6'4 252 EDGE; Rutgers:

Comp picks are for risks IMO, free pick to use for someone you hopefully replaced last year. Turay is a classic boom/bust. I think athletically he has it all. Was at a dumpster fire football program that had him regress from freshman to senior year, but he's got tools to work with and a redshirt NFL year might do him wonders.

DX0cbzxVwAAOdrs.jpg

Round 5: Jordan Thomas 6'0 187 CB; Oklahoma:

Taking a shot on some numbers here, the 40 wasn't good, yet his other numbers are outstanding, like breaking the 3 cone record outstanding. He obviously has explosion then, I'm thinking that plays well into a slot guy. We lost Randall, so an explosive, twitchy guy with some length in the slot could benefit us here.

320x180.jpg

Round 5: Troy Fumagalli 6'5 247 TE; Wisconsin:

Supposedly the Packers love this guy, so I'll throw him in here. Replaces Rich Rod as the 3rd TE, I'm not sure he profiles as anything more than Rich Rod did, but we'll see.

hqdefault.jpg

Round 5: 

Colby Gossett 6'4 306 OG; App State:

Gossett is another guy with pretty solid measurables and agility numbers meeting the Packers requirements. Also played both tackle and guard at App State.

0069461529.0818ef96e71de1bf167b927f90951

Round 6: Dorian O' Daniel 6'0 220 LB; Clemson:

Joe Thomas might not be back, O' Daniel can fill that role and is one of the best ST players in the draft. Fine value in the 6th.

odaniel_gt-479.JPG

Round 6: Daurice Fountain 6'1 210 WR; Northern Iowa:

Best player at the Shrine Game, Combine and Senior Bowl snub. Worth a shot to me, would like to see him in our camp. Madison, WI kid.

news-552x310-113539-1516753537.jpg

Round 7: Andre Chachere 6'0 197 CB; San Jose State

Late round CB worth a flyer, decent production and athletic numbers. We add 4 DBs to the fold and hope something sticks.

preview.jpg?s=460x

Round 7: Deon Yelder 6'3 250 TE; Western Kentucky

Bring another TE to camp, Yelder had good college production and seems to be an acceptable athlete.

Circle-Yelder.jpg

Nice job!  I don't know much about the last two picks, not keen on Jordan Thomas, but to each his own.  Thanks for the mock!

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Like the washed up Chris Long that helped Philly win the SB? Or the washed up Tramon Williams who graded as a top 10 CB, or the washed up James Harrison that got the sack to win the AFCCG? At this point signing one year deals and throwing darts at the board is all we have left to do, unless you think the magic trade fairy will grant us a sweet deal.

Mike Pettine had the #1 defense this decade with Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace at EDGE. The group from this off-season is leagues better than that. It was Pettine's secondary that was the head of his defense.

Love the signings for the most part- not sure Evans is needed anymore. Not sure I would take Johnson over House- but maybe there is something to Johnson that hasn't caught on as of this time.

The trade down is fine if the Pack gets a little more IMO. Oliver? I think he needs a year to get it. One of those guys that will likely look better as the year goes but I am afraid will get beat bad at first. I think you found a Mike McKenzie but you paid the price to get him the first round. If he is as good as McKenzie- worth it. I like Davis myself.

I love the Bates out of Wake and agree that is a Packer kind of pick. I just do not want him to cost us a shot at Hamilton. I think you nailed it on Hamilton and I am afraid he may go a lot higher. Like EJ out of Wake when he is healthy too- very impactful player on Saturdays when he was healthy.

The other picks are well thought out and researched as well.

Overall you went to fix the secondary instead of feeling like you had to take the EDGE guy at the top. It is a very valid strategy when you really sit back for a minute and look at what the Pack already has in the fold for next year for the pass rush in conjunction with what you were able to add in FA and the other rounds in the draft. You added more options instead of being locked into one savior. The group as a whole would be quite nice and give Pettine a lot of options.

Can't get on board with Oliver at 21. 

He's more likely to go outside the top 40 than inside the top 25 IMHO. 

Probably the 5th-7th CB off the board when it's all said and done. 

Seems like an obvious target for #45 though. 

5 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Can't get on board with Oliver at 21. 

He's more likely to go outside the top 40 than inside the top 25 IMHO. 

Probably the 5th-7th CB off the board when it's all said and done. 

Seems like an obvious target for #45 though. 

I'd agree if there were more big bodied, long armed, athletic CBs. Some teams aren't going to have Alexander, Jackson and Hughes because they don't like that body type. After Jackson who is there? Meeks, Toliver or McFadden? None of them are day 1 guys IMO. I bet Oliver goes Rd 1.

Is #77 proper compensation for moving up from #21 to #14?  That seems extremely low altho I don’t know what the points chart says.  Huge fan of Oliver tho.  

And wow, it really seems like most everybody is all aboard the Tramon wagon.  I know he bounced back last year but 2 years ago this board chased him out of town with pitchforks.  LoL

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Is #77 proper compensation for moving up from #21 to #14?  That seems extremely low altho I don’t know what the points chart says.  Huge fan of Oliver tho.  

And wow, it really seems like most everybody is all aboard the Tramon wagon.  I know he bounced back last year but 2 years ago this board chased him out of town with pitchforks.  LoL

Desperation man, desperation. Plus that PFF score...lol

Archived